Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceLargeStairsWarehouse

Advice for warehouse mezzanine with two staircases13984

tinsoldier private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice heading into a big shoot on the weekend..

Will be scanning a large warehouse style office sharespace. It has a ground floor with lots of office units and then a long mezzanine level against one wall which looks down into the main warehouse, with a staircase at both ends.

My plan was to shoot all the ground floor first, and then go up the stairs at one end of the mezzanine, scan across it and then head back down the other set of stairs to finish. Does that sound sensible?

In regard to setting "floors":
I intend to scan the entire "Ground" floor and then head up the stairs, when I reach the TOP of the stairs, I will create the new floor "Mezzanine". Once I've scanned across the mezzanine I go finally down the steps at the other end of the mezzanine, at what point would I be advised to change my floor back to "Ground"...?

Or would it be a better practice to go back down and scan an ASCENT up both sets of stairs from the Ground, rather than ever descend stairs?

They also want a single shot from the exterior entrance of the building, how would you normally handle something like that which doesn't connect very well to the interior scan?

Hope that makes sense.. Any advice would be much appreciated.

r with lots of office
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
You can scan the stairs up or down. If you scan a descent, do the full descent while set to Mezanine. When completed, then reassign the stairway scans to the first floor, as you would do had you scanned as an ascent.

The outdoor shot just shoot as a 360 rather than 3D scan, and “place on map” in the proper location before processing the model.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks! So to confirm:

Scan Ground floor > scan up the stairs > at the top set to Mezanine >
Scan the Mezanine > scan down the opposite stairs back to ground > at the bottom set back to Ground.

Is that correct?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Almost... any time you scan down a staircase there’s an extra step.

Since you begin the descent from your Mezzanine floor, the camera needs to remain set to mezzanine while you scan down. But once done, the scans on the stairway need to be reassigned to the ground/1st floor.

Matterport recommends that stairway scans always “belong” as part of the lower floor before processing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
I have done a few of the same scenarios. I like to have both staircases attached to the ground floor. One thing I do is scan the ground floor and scan up one set of the stairs to the mezzanine. I then go back downstairs and scan up the other set of stairs to the mezzanine and continue scanning across the mezzanine. I find that the scanning stays a lot straighter toward the end of the mezzanine since there is already data for the camera to mesh to. It works for me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport Academy | Scanning Repetitive Spaces (Lesson 10) | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 28 September 2017

Video: Matterport: Scanning Stairs | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 23 December 2019

@tinsoldier

Hopefully, the above helps solve your Matterport scanning challenge.

Here are WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Large | Stairs | AprilTags (Matterport now calls them Markers)

And, this Matterport Support Page

Scanning Empty & Repetitive Spaces

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks guys, will let you know how I go!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@tinsoldier

Yes. Please do keep us posted. Would to see the Matterport digital twin, once ready. (And, whast you learned ...)

Good luck!

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
101436 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?