Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport 2019 New PricingMatterport Classic PricingMatterport EcosystemMatterport KerfuffleSneakyTransfergate

Transfergate: Why not switch to a Matterport Competitor?13768

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Transfergate: Why not switch to a Matterport Competitor?

Hi All,

If transfergate is costing you thousands of dollars, why not switch to a Matterport competitor?

If you are a long-time Matterporter that has been processing Matterport models for free in a Matterport New Pricing Plan and then transferring the Matterport models to a Matterport Classic Cloud Plan for hosting (to save $$$$$), why not switch to a Matterport competitor now that Matterport has announced an end to this arbitrage effective 31 January 2021?

I could imagine that when you started out with Matterport, there were none - or just a few - Matterport competitors. Today there are more than 170+ 3D/360 platforms/software for hosting virtual tours and 50+ 3D/360 cameras for creating 24/7 Open House Virtual Tours.

What about Matterport is holding you back from switching?

You are among Matterport's early adapters that has experienced huge success and there are other platforms/cameras that would to have your business.

If Matterport competitors understood what problem that they need to solve to win your business - and that of others that are gaming the Matterport pricing - this might either encourage:

1. Matterport to give one year's notice in the spirit of their promise to give 12 months notice of ending Matterport Classic Pricing. (Transfergate qualifies - in my opinion - to effectively ending Matterport Classic Pricing.)

2. Matterport competitors to meet your needs. Many 3D/360 platforms and camera companies read the WGAN Forum (even if they do not post) and eagerly want your business. Help them help you by speaking out.

I could imagine that there are a significant number of Matterport Pros that are arbitraging Matterport New Pricing/Classic Pricing that Matterport was willing to be beat up - once again - by its customers for being:

1. sneaky
2. giving no noticed/then short notice to the change (despite promising not to disrupt your business)
3. having potential Matterport customers be influenced by public discussions of transfergate
4. having potential Matterport customers be influenced by public discussions of similar, past gaffes

By helping identify Matterport achilles' heels, Matterport will either need to address these issues or their competitors will.

By helping identify Matterport's strengths - that are holding you back from switching - perhaps other WGAN Community Members can suggest an existing solution that meets your needs that saves you hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Your thoughts on Matterport's latest kerfuffle?

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
I would love to switch and I feel it's time but the process of finding an alternative solution is overwhelming. It seems so many companies hide their prices up front and want to set up conferences/meetings to show you their product and go over the benefits. I know you have great tools on here but some first hand experience from others is great. I'm using the matterport pro and Z1 camera. If anyone has suggestions of a company that is easy to process as matterport.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Switching sound good and I do wish I would have a long time ago. I have the base classic model and the logistics to move 50-60 models to a different venue for on going hosting is there. Or leave my classic plan in place keeping current models there until I update them with whatever service I goto. Then having longterm clients that expect a MP tour and its model and navigation to learn a new format. I am just not interested. I expect change from MP but I wish they worked collaboratively with it user. I have two big compliants with MP I wish the follow thru was better. Second I wish there communication was better.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
switching to a company like Asteroom, Pano2vr, 3DVista does sound enticing. The ease of use of Matterport's all-in-one solution makes it an Apple/Windows sort of challenge. If you like the Apple Universe you are likely to put up with their new operating system even if it KILLS the usage of apps you've been using for years.

The question is, when is enough enough? That's an individual question. Secondly, if you are working for another company whose go-to is Matterport, then there is that hurdle to contend with. I would think realtors would be satisfied with one of the tour creator/providers I mentioned above. But as of now, Matterport hosts the best CAD/point cloud commercially available system, doesn't it? So, lots of variables. But definitely great questions @DanSmigrod. Time to diversify at the very least.

In addition to my Matterport work, I have a membership with Kuula. One of the easiest 360 tour builders. I learned about it through Ben Claremont's very helpful series (available here). Ben walks you through every aspect of the 360 tour business. EVERY ASPECT.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, you have been around since the beginning, seen the good, the bad, the changes and competition if you had to do it all over again knowing what you know now, plus have access to physically lay hands on and processing tours with several systems what would you do? I think your thoughts would be helpful for someone new also.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @htimsabbub23
I would love to switch and I feel it's time but the process of finding an alternative solution is overwhelming. It seems so many companies hide their prices up front and want to set up conferences/meetings to show you their product and go over the benefits. I know you have great tools on here but some first hand experience from others is great. I'm using the matterport pro and Z1 camera. If anyone has suggestions of a company that is easy to process as matterport.

Hi @htimsabbub23

Which platform/camera to switch to depends on your needs.

Have you reviewed the:

Free WGAN Cheat Sheet: Which Virtual Tour Platform is Best (for Me)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ron0987
Switching sound good and I do wish I would have a long time ago. I have the base classic model and the logistics to move 50-60 models to a different venue for on going hosting is there. Or leave my classic plan in place keeping current models there until I update them with whatever service I goto. Then having longterm clients that expect a MP tour and its model and navigation to learn a new format. I am just not interested. I expect change from MP but I wish they worked collaboratively with it user. I have two big complaints with MP I wish the follow thru was better. Second I wish there communication was better.

@ron0987

For the long-term Matterport tours, perhaps you keep your Matterport Classic Plan in place. And, use a different platform going forward for new clients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @toddwaddington
In addition to my Matterport work, I have a membership with Kuula. One of the easiest 360 tour builders. I learned about it through Ben Claremont's very helpful series (available here). Ben walks you through every aspect of the 360 tour business. EVERY ASPECT.

@toddwaddington

Glad Ben's course is helpful to you.

Ben will be my guest on WGAN-TV Live at 5 on Wednesday, (16 December 2020)

WGANTV: Ben Claremont Top 10 Tips for Building a Profitable Virtual Tour Biz

Plus, WGAN Forum Members can save 15 percent on Ben's course (AND get 12 free months WGAN-TV Training Academy)

Save 15 Percent on Virtual Tour Pro Course by Ben Claremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ron0987
Dan, you have been around since the beginning, seen the good, the bad, the changes and competition if you had to do it all over again knowing what you know now, plus have access to physically lay hands on and processing tours with several systems what would you do? I think your thoughts would be helpful for someone new also.

For someone new, I recommend:

1. Virtual Tour Pro Course by Ben Claremont
2. Real Estate Photographer Pro Course by Eli Jones
3. WGAN-TV Training Academy

4. Free WGAN Cheat Sheet: Which Virtual Tour Platform is Best (for Me)?

While it is tempting to answer your question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987

... it's likely that anyone considering "which virtual tour platform" would likely best be served by answering the questions here:

Free WGAN Cheat Sheet: Which Virtual Tour Platform is Best (for Me)?

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN-TV
Training U
Perth AUS
schaferu private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, your always deep and thorough approach to each topic is second to none, thank you for offering relentless value day in day out.

All our clients are longterm commercial hosted spaces which might be visible for 2-3 years until their next reno job requires a reshoot. Classic hosting works for this at around $0.50 per month per space.

In the process of capturing lets say an accommodation with multi room types, the rate charged for a small room (under 10 scans) might be similar to 3 years of what hosting would cost on current cloud plans. This would significantly add to the cost for the client, even if passed on at cost.

Yes, I hear other comments and the argument that the old model is dead and that business plans need to be adjusted to go with the times.

Hence the current investigation and conversation initiated by Dan.

Matterport tech is great, it is fast and high quality, no argument. It also gives the viewer a lovely experience.

Would I change?

I prefer not to, for the hassle and inconvenience.

In an ideal world, MP would be more sensitive to the SUBTLE (sorry) goings-on in their base.

They could for example distinguish between longterm hosted spaces (over 6 months) and shortterm (under 6 months).

Love their No-Processing fee on newer plans.

Maybe they could introduce a #LongTermRate of let's say $1 a month per space (double the Classic Rate), which the operator selects during processing in the knowledge what kind of client it is, then it kicks in from day one for that space.

72 hours for their developers to code the snippet (-:

So to summarise, as a minimum, I would respectfully request MP to honour the repeated verbal promise not to disturb the Classic with less than 12 months Notice Period.

In an ideal world, a review of their pricing with an introduction of another "subtlety tier" would be awesome.

Maybe even a survey on this topic sent out to the base, or am I stretching the friendship here?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@schaferu spot on Sir , could not say it any better .
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@schaferu

Thank you for your kind words and insightful post.

And, thank you for proposing how Matterport might solve the pricing problem for long-term hosting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferu
Maybe they could introduce a #LongTermRate of let's say $1 a month per space (double the Classic Rate), which the operator selects during processing in the knowledge what kind of client it is, then it kicks in from day one for that space.

At a minimum, they should have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @schaferu
So to summarise, as a minimum, I would respectfully request MP to honour the repeated verbal promise not to disturb the Classic with less than 12 months Notice Period.

Simply bad form to upset the early adopters like you whom may now look at alternative tour creation and hosting platforms.

Survey? I would prefer to see those affected to share their thoughts in this - or related "transfergate" - discussions.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?