Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AwkwardClient BriefHelpProblems

Yikes! Awkward client brief. What/How should I do this?!!!13763

sandhun private msg quote post Address this user
A client has asked me to take still photos of their large screen which is set up in a public outdoor space.

They have specifically asked for 2 adverts to be captured on the screen and also asked for the following 'deliverables'.

"Variety of images from lots of different angles of the screen making the space look as busy as possible in the pictures".

After a quick 'recce', given the layout of the space where the screen is set up, I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to meet their brief - but of course I will do my best (with a 14-24mm lens).

To try and exceed their expectations, is there a way that I could use my Pro2 Matterport camera for a job of this nature? What if I were to simply scan a couple of 360 views which would take in the large screen as well as all the people that will be dotted around - I'm not bothered about motion blur. I've only ever used 360's within models alongside 3D scans.

Can 360 scans be used in isolation on a job like this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

360 by Dan Smigrod | Shot with a DSLR Camera and fisheye lens | about 60 images composited

@sandhun

In my dodge ball 360 panorama (above), it may not be obvious that this is a composite of 60+ images that I shot with a DSLR camera and fisheye lens to make the space VERY BUSY and EXCITING.

It you look carefully, you will see some of the same people in the shot more than once. For example, the guy with the blue shirt on the left side (pointing) is actually in the shot three times. Plus, there are way many more balls in this picture than actually were there!

Would you like to fly me to London from Atlanta to shoot this style for you? (Private Jet only during COVID-19 please.)

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
sandhun private msg quote post Address this user
Hmm, you edited the title of the thread. I suppose it sounds more dramatic now.

I could fly you to London but you'd still be a 100 miles away from the shoot location

This client isn't paying much at all. Their marketing lady bargained hard to bring the rate right down eventually telling me it will "only be a 30 minute shoot" (in order to justify paying a ridiculously low fee). Therefore I'm not going to jump through hoops in terms of post processing.

Would a single Matterport 360 scan work in an outdoor space for a job of this nature?
Post 3 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Assuming the large screen is set up at some height (like at a stadium), I would suggest a DJI drone with the Litchi app shooting a set of photos which can then be stitched together into a 180 panorama. You can shoot from as many angles as you think the customer might want and include a set from the ground as well using a DSLR. All the shots can be stitched in PTGUI, edited with Lightroom and input to 3DVista to edit them into a full tour. With the drone, you can also offer a video.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
One Matterport scan by We Get Around Atlanta Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod | Shot 4 May 2016

@sandhun

Above is one Matterport scan with people. (You would likely want to disable the dollhouse view.)

If the people are moving (I asked them to stay still in the 360 above), they can end up deformed. It's not pretty.)

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@sandhun

Another thought - with people - use a DSLR to shoot 360 and use a very slow shutter speed.

This creates the sense of action/motion and the still objects would be sharp.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
101641 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?