Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LargeMachine LearningRetail StoresScanningTurns

Capture App scans making "turns" with large spaces?13730

WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Friends,

I have several jobs scanning the same retail store in 4 locations. The layout is basically the same in each location. They vary from 25-30K+ sq feet. At each location I'm finding the Capture app is doing funky things. Areas not lining up. The client wants the scans closer together.

So, in the photo attached I started at what is the top of the photo and made my way down to the bottom with a side trip into the back storage area. When I came out of the storage area and resumed you can see the scans are now taking a turn to the right as I make my way back up. I have contacted the company who hired me but also wanted feed back from the forum.

The question is, do I keep going and will the Cloud "figure it out" if scans are on top of one another? I have found similar issues in each location and I believe it has something to do with the number of scans in each area. I thought I had worked out a method that wouldn't cause this, but this particular model is the most exaggerated. I will go back tomorrow to complete.

Thoughts?

Red is where it's heading, green is where it should be heading.
Post 1 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@toddwaddington I have had this happen and it processed correctly. Still worries you while on the job.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@ron0987, thanks! Relieved. These are good jobs and a bit intense since there are employees wandering around. Some don't like that I'm there, etc.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
@Todd, I think the Matterport AI does a good job of figuring out major misalignments like this during processing, but it is worrying whenever it is happening on site.
My suggestions would be :
1) see if by looking closely at the capture app preview map, you can isolate the scan where it first started to veer off. Maybe add a few more scans either side of this one, to help the AI processing understand what is really there.
2) A suggestion for next time, perhaps walk through the entire main route taking scans as far apart as practical (& be within range of the building wall at all times), just to see that overall alignment is reasonable, and then fill in the detail scans later.

Hope it works out for you, let us know how it transpires and if you discover a better way?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Upload and process a partial if you have the opportunity
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@Noddy. Great idea to do spread out scans, although, I'm not sure that would entirely fix it. I had areas that were right next to each other not align (until they were processed). I believe the issue was, going into the back room which had all sorts of twists and turns with no reference to the main scans. So, I don't think I can simply fix a couple of scans but will take a closer look! But the idea of doing a "lite" scan first to sort of hold it in place is a good idea.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@Noddy, will uploading a partial help somehow? All that happens from the app side is an upload of data. All of the "magic" happens in the cloud, right?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
@Todd, Well if you upload a partial that is misaligned,it will get processed and you'll see if it fixes the misalignment, -which will indicate whether to keep going with the misaligned scan, or delete scans back to the start of misalignment and scan from there, keeping an eye on alignment.

I did the "lite" scan walkthrough alignment test (mentioned above) on a large museum single room where I took a quick set of scans around the perimeter of a the large rectangular room, I finished that lap and I was at least 2-3 feet misaligned when I came around to the start corner. Then I uploaded a duplicate of that and since it was only 30 scans or so it processed in about 40 minutes, and result was snapped together correctly. Meanwhile I continued to scan the entire room, and after I saw the results of the test upload on my e-mail, I knew it would be ok to keep going.
Hope that makes sense. I was lucky to have wifi access in that building to upload the test model, but I know that may not always be the case.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@Noddy, it does make sense. I can be a little slow. At this point I'd be shocked if it processes by tomorrow before I leave (early, early a.m., like 5). The last one I did like this took 1.5 days. Of course, it was finished but this project is 2/3 finished.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101636 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?