Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport 2019 New PricingSneakyTransfer SpaceTransfergate

Is Matterport blocking transfers from NEW to OLD Matterport Pricing Plans?13682

Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
It was working yesterday morning..... so they must have thrown the switch after 8am CST.

I transferred a scan to a client who I am confident is on a classic plan. Hardly the only client with this business model either.

Where's that popcorn when a good show comes on.....
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

From another WGAN Member ...

Dan

---

Yeah pretty annoying – can’t say that I’m surprised – with VC money the time always comes when goodwill/promises are overridden by pressure to make money.

I think it is partly a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. I’m reminded of the aphorism "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". Hard to say though.

Anyway, this specific change isn’t going to be a huge deal but I don’t like what it signals in terms of MP’s attitude.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Axis360Media private msg quote post Address this user
If Matterport complied with the business opportunity sales laws of 21 states, this would not be remotely possible. This is the essence of why I am suing them. To build a business using third party tools there needs to be a set of rules.

By the way this is bigger than you think. On any NEW plan you can’t really have a bunch of clients with long term hosting AND BE COMPETITIVE. What’s next? Only one account can be owned by an individual?
Post 28 IP   flag post
joelE private msg quote post Address this user
What such a bad move from them. I'm really not sure that will bring much profit if they lose customers for those who will prefer to find an alternative to Matterport.
On my side very uncertain will continue to use it.

What is the best solution to export tours (at least few of my long term hosted tours) to outside matterport to continue to use them without paying monthly fee ? what plateform
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@joelE

I elevated your question to its own WGAN Forum discussion:

How to export (Many) Matterport Tours and Host Them on Other Platforms

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post

Houston
I just did a test this morning and it seemed to transfer fine... separate organizations. At least from a new account I can't tell any difference.
Post 31 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
It looks to me that the Matterport VCs have already found their exit option and that MSPs do not play a major role in the future business model.

Would a future investor like Apple, Amazon or Facebook need a MSP business? Probably not.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Axis360Media private msg quote post Address this user
@meshimages the VC’s cannot escape just yet. Per the Class Action Lawsuit I filed in California they are all individually named. So before they exit they have some explaining to do before a federal judge.
Post 33 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@Axis360Media

Thanks for the information. Yes, this may be blocking them for now. I cannot evaluate. They will probably offer you a lot of money to get out of this lawsuit. Good luck! 👍
Post 34 IP   flag post
Houston
What I am being told by one client is that I can initiate a transfer from my new plan... but they have to pay for processing on his classic plan in order to accept the transfer.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Houston
@JoelE the message they are sending is that they don't need the MSPs..... and with them taking on the sales role of MSS and letting anyone with a camera spin for a capture... they might be right.

Long term hosting probably is going to involve the client having their own account or paying. Which is fine IMHO. That will let them make business decisions with consequences, not just keep asking for something for nothing.

The race to the bottom takes a new twist.... a previously unknown troll has emerged to shake down the travelers.
Post 36 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
I am seeing rumblings in the MOUG that Matterport may have reversed this decision without explanation ~ So, you may see if you are able to transfer currently
Post 37 IP   flag post
Houston
@lilsnitch What I was hearing this afternoon was that the recipient on a classic plan was being asked to pay for processing again. Which might be fine if they credited the processing to the new account holder... otherwise they are double dipping.
Post 38 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@briangreul

I am not sure to be honest ~ when I have been transferring I am typically Classic-Classic or Classic-New
Post 39 IP   flag post
mib94 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like they have indeed reversed it! I just successfully transferred two space from my Professional Plus account to my Classic account. It didn't advise me of any charges either!
Post 40 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @lilnitsch
I am seeing rumblings in the MOUG that Matterport may have reversed this decision without explanation ~ So, you may see if you are able to transfer currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by @mib94
Looks like they have indeed reversed it! I just successfully transferred two space from my Professional Plus account to my Classic account. It didn't advise me of any charges either!

@lilnitsch @mib94

Thanks for letting us know!

Matterport Ends "Transfergate" Reports WGAN Members: Can you confirm?

Dan
Post 41 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DanSmigrod

not a problem
Post 42 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mib94

It looks like they have reversed it.. at least for now. In the morning I could accept the tour I was trying to transfer yesterday. It was nothing important I was just testing if they'd block it or not.
Yesterday it was blocked, today it worked.

Below is the screenshot of their reply sent to one of MSPs. it has been posted on MOUG.

Post 43 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Wingman

Thanks much for posting!

Hard to build a business when something as important as Transfergate can happen with "subject to change without notice."

That's certainly not in the spirit of, "we'll give you one year's notice of plans to sunset Matterport Classic." Seems like the ability to transfer is essential to keeping busy, successful, early adopter Matterporters happy.

Sad that a Matterport executive has not stepped up to explain "what happened" and to comfort the community that Matterport will provide at least 12 months notice of any plans to sunset the transfer feature.

Dan
Post 44 IP   flag post
Houston
That's a wonderful customer-servicey rendition of "Would you like some salt for that nice deep cut?"
Post 45 IP   flag post
mib94 private msg quote post Address this user
I received a nice "we've no idea what's going on" reply from support.

Post 46 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mib94

Wow!

Dan
Post 47 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mib94

Wow!

Dan
Post 48 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mib94

Wow!

Dan
Post 49 IP   flag post
MatterTag
Export-Import
Service
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
HomePlanNZ private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm...watching developments with concern and interest. Post the above, Support is still saying the transfer feature from new to classic plans will be/has been deactivated.
Post 50 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@HomePlanNZ

Hmmmmmmm.....

Would be nice to have a Matterport executive clarify rather than have Matterport Support team get caught in the cross-fire.

Worth noting ...

In Matterport ShopTalk #9 Webinar on Wednesday, 2 December 2020, there is no mention of "Transfergate" ... Instead, the Matterport Classic Pricing is discussed starting at 23:29 and ending at 33:00, AND during the Q&A.

Interesting how much time was spent trying to explain how/why Matterport new pricing is a much better deal that Matterport Classic pricing.

Worth noting at 51:01, Matterport Director of Product Marketing Volkie Yelkovan says in response to a viewer's question, "Karam is asking 'how much longer do you expect Classic plans to remain active for users still on them?' As we said, they will be active forever, that's our policy right now. So there's no forcing function for you to move to a new plan.

I could imagine that Volkie or Amir will clarify this on the next Matterport ShopTalk Webinar.

Here is a transcript of the entire Matterport ShopTalk #9 webinar:

Transcript: Matterport Current Cloud Pricing Plans versus Classic Plan

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 51 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
It almost seems like they don't understand what the effects of this would be. This is not a small change to my business. Something of this magnitude should NEVER be rolled out with NO notice!

I kind of figured that they rolled out the new plans to encourage/enable larger MSPs to be more aggressive on pricing, and to squeeze the hobbyists out. They created a system where you can pay (for example) $69/month for a new plan and have all processing covered, then xfer to a large old plan after processing, then return to the new plan for archiving. Which (while a little time consuming) is great for us.

This aborted change blows that sky high, and would upend all the business decisions we have made on the past 9 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mib94
Looks like they have indeed reversed it!

Post 52 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Matterport eBlast received 8:36 am EST Tuesday, 8 December 2020

Hi All,

From a Matterport eBlast sent Tuesday, 8 December 2020:

1. “Classic” plans aren’t going anywhere. Our community would not be where it is without the early bets placed by the charter members of our community who subscribed to our “Classic” plans. We will therefore continue to support these plans fully. If you are happy with your “Classic” plan, rest assured we are not taking them away. We are happy for you to keep using those plans, with one caveat, which we are spelling out below:

2. The ability to transfer spaces from “New” to “Classic” plans for free will be removed, effective 1/31/21. Our new plan subscribers represent the majority of Matterport customers. As such it is important we keep parity of features between both sets of plans but that we also maintain fairness across our customer base. While the ability for “Classic” plan holders to transfer over spaces from “New” accounts for free has technically existed for a while, it created an unintended exploitation of our commercial terms that undermined the value offered to the majority of our customers. As such, we will remove this ability for all “Classic” plan holders, effective January 31st, 2021.

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 53 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @mib94
Looks like this was just updated today:

https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000201087-Transfer-a-Space-Between-Organizations#important-notes-0-0

I tried to transfer from my new subscription to my classic and it was blocked. I figured this was coming, but it seem's particularly harsh to implement this with no notice.

Here's what this Matterport Support page says, as of 9 am EST Tuesday, 8 December 2020:

Dan
Post 54 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

It's January 27th! Are you Matterport accounts in order for the change?

Dan
Post 55 IP   flag post
101736 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?