Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewNewbies

Starting a Virtual Tour/Media Business: Your thoughts?13679

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @DylanWilcox
Hi,

I am starting a Virtual Tour/Media business in Wisconsin. I would like to build virtual tours for small business owners to help gain more leads and improve their google rank. My thought is businesses such as wedding/business venues, beauty & spas, nursing home, dental/health care, and local gyms. The idea is to target clients that would be paying for a monthly hosting fee for passive income instead of targeting high luxury real estate.

If you've had any success/failures with any of the businesses I have listed please feel free to reach out. Would love to gain some insight from like minded individuals.

I have completed a 3D tour of my house with the iPhone XS on Matterport but am looking at purchasing a real 360 camera and choosing a software.

Deciding between the Insta360 One X2 / Theta Z1 / or wait for these programs to take full advantage of the iphone 12 Pro with the Lidar.

Also deciding between softwares: Matterport / Kuula / Metareal. Open to other software as I have limited experience with 3D stitching.

Hi All,

Looks like Dylan has a ton of questions. Feel free to chime in.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Axis360Media private msg quote post Address this user
Great business, and lots of people to learn from as it’s a fairly saturated with providers in most markets. Lots of cameras, which work on multiple platforms furthermore make this an interesting business. Personally my investment would’ve yielded more gain if I had instead bought Bitcoin.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
As for hardware unless specializing in 360 video I’d skip the insta360 the Z1 is definitely the winner in the consumer 360 cameras

I cannot speak to selling a monthly fee as I primarily shoot residential properties with a large commercial job here or there & typically on those jobs if they are wanting to keep something like a Matterport tour up and running I set them up with their own account

I have done a couple larger Matterport to street view jobs of which was just billed at my daily rate. Then the Matterport model was killed
Post 3 IP   flag post
DylanWilcox private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan for starting the thread.

Hi everyone, I think it would help if people got to know a little about my background.

I have a digital marketing degree with Google Ad Words Certifications and working on my Facebook Ad certification. I have not done any photography for work, only for my own pleasure (drones and video editing of my hobbies.

I have connections with a lot of small business owners in the area and have spoken to a couple friends in real estate who would be interested in virtual tours.

I'd like to target small businesses/operations and vacation rentals on Airbnb and Vrbo to get monthly hosing income.

Like Dan said, I have tons of questions.

1. Camera... Insta360 One X2 / Theta Z1 / iPhone 12 with Lidar
2. Software... Matterport / MetaReal/ Kuula
3. What market niche works best for you?

Thank you in advance,
Dylan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DylanWilcox

As for vacation rentals ~ make sure you have a firm grasp on what external links/tours are supported ~ I’ve heard the Matterport integration is pretty wonky

A lot of folks have been selling their vacation rentals in my area just because the market is hot & these types of rentals had a dip in business due to travel restrictions related to COVID
Post 5 IP   flag post
DylanWilcox private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch

Vacation Rentals - Agreed COVID has created a dip in travel and rentals. Also agree that the market is hot and people are selling but I also know people who are holding and have seen more competition since fewer are searching. I can see virtual tours being a hot selling point that give the viewers a candid look into the house. Are there stairs? How far away will the bedrooms be apart from each other? Is it a open floorplan? Also, I am more optimistic than others but I think 2021 will be different in a better way than 2020.

Cameras - Are you talking about the original Insta 360 One X or the X2? vs the Theta Z1.

Software - do you use Matterport for your residential properties? If not, what software?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DylanWilcox

The X or X2 they are both small sensors the X2 is using essentially the same sensor as the OneX with a couple software tweaks
Post 7 IP   flag post
wishing_well private msg quote post Address this user
Hello @DylanWilcox I'll be watching your approach with interest. I have also began a company offering virtual tourism but the niche I am focussing is art and collectors. I've began by first gathering content to demonstrate the proposition. As I am an engineer I then intend to develop some custom solutions on top of these exhibitions.

Regarding your choice of software, I started with Matterport just for convenience, I just need to get something up and running asap and Matterport offered me the cross-platform ease I needed. I bought a camera and then started getting some exhibition bookings. I care more to focus first on the business model rather than any technology.

I think the challenge you and I have is demonstrating the value of virtual tours. I'll be very interested to see how you can demonstrate that value regardless of your industry sector.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101429 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?