Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Buy CameraPro2Pro3Versus

Is a new Matterport camera coming in 2021?13629

dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Is a new one going to be released? If so has anyone heard about any confirmed changes?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Folks have been talking about this since 2018 ~ while I'd love to see new Matterport hardware I wouldn't hold my breath
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@dave3d

Thank you for asking the question about if/when a Matterport Pro3 3D Camera.

If you are thinking about buying a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera, but are concerned about Matterport releasing a Pro3 shortly there after, this might be helpful to give you at least 60 days to return the Pro2:

Tip: How to Get 60 Days to Return a Purchase of a Matterport Pro2 Camera

But, before you do buy a Pro2, you should read this WGAN Forum discussion too:

How to save $400 on a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera Today (Friday, 13 Nov 2020)

(WGAN Member @Kumar identified how to get $780 discount instead of just $400.)

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@dave3d

I could imagine that the next Matterport camera will be:

✓ iPhone 12 Pro / iPhone 12 Pro Max+ Po grade rotator

Here's why:

1. Leverage LiDAR of iPhone Pro 12/Pro 12 Max
2. You already own the iPhone and every time you upgrade your iPhone you are upgrading your camera
3. Image quality will likely be better with the iPhone Pro 12/Pro 12 Max than Pro2 (and fewer stitching errors)
4. Could help get Matterport out of the building business. When they begin, they needed to build a camera.
5. Less expensive than Matterport Pro2 if you want a dedicated device (and/or backup)

Your thoughts?

Dan

WGAN Related Discussions

✓ WGAN Forum discussions tagged: GeoCV (used a smartphone and rotator)
InsideMaps + iPhone 12Pro + Rotator = 3D Tours for Free (Early Access)
Post 4 IP   flag post
manuqc private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dave,

I personally do not think they do plan to release a new camera at all (I might be wrong but I doubt it). Their main focus seems to consolidate matterport as a Saas company and allowing users to either use their existing hardware Pro1/2 as well as other consumer level devices iphone, theta, etc.
Post 5 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I don´t think so. The iPhone 12 pro battery is not sufficient for professional scan jobs.

I guess, if Matterport releases a Pro3 it will have flash lidar plus highres one click 360 photography.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@manuqc

Perhaps ...

In the spectrum of Matterport camera solutions, there is a gap in:

1. better imagine quality than a Ricoh Theta Z1 and Pro2
2. better spatial data capture that Cortex using a Ricoh Theta Z1
3. price point between Ricoh Theta Z1 and Matterport Pro2 3D Camera

Matterport has already taken a step in this direction by enabling Capture app to be done hands-free. What's missing is the pro-grade rotator (for me to trust my iPhone Pro 12 smartphone from falling).

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @MeshImages
@DanSmigrod

I don´t think so. The iPhone 12 pro battery is not sufficient for professional scan jobs.

I guess, if Matterport releases a Pro3 it will have flash lidar plus highres one click 360 photography.

You could have two iPhone Pro 12 smartphones and still be less than a Pro 2 camera.

Plus, if Matterport uses Bluetooth or WiFi to connect the iPhone 12 Pro to the rotator, that leaves the either the port for attaching a battery or using Apple's new MagSafe Charger system.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
A rotator and SAAS certainly makes sense. This might be the off-ramp for the non-pro hardware, which is a stretch at best.

however, with the support for Android and it's armada of models/variations/changes I think a rotator is a stop-gap solution for DIY folks and realtors. Certainly part of their market, but not a replacement for the PRo2 hardware which is taking 18 stills and lidar with known separation and calibration. Something even the best rotator would have challenges matching at speed.

What I could see them doing is moving a Pro3 closer to the Leica hardware, perhaps by licensing some of the IP involved. This would be particularly important for addressing the accuracy issues for the AEC/As-Built crowd. There are lots of challenges in large spaces that stem from MP being tuned to the average 2500 s/f house. I think when you run the numbers, if you can sell 5,000 cameras you have a viable business case for a Pro3. I'm pretty sure they can sell 5,000 cameras.

Occipital just spit out some marketing crap about their new sensor and API. I seem to recall somewhere that their sensor is being used in the Pro2. Unless Occipital makes some quantum leaps the technology in the Apple Lidar units is a better option. I seem to recall Apple bought that off the shelf as there is lots of development in the Lidar/Machine Vision space these days.

Here's an interesting twist... what if you built a pro grade rotator with improved sensors, alignment, and lidar, but then used a iPad Pro connected via USB-C to gain access to the Apple augmented reality and API's?

Either way you crack it, the application quality has to come way up. The last 3 months have been a veritable poo-fest of bugs and crashes in the app.

And of course, MP hijacking the best clients with MSS didn't help the already fragile MSP ecosystem. I'd guess that there are more than a few disgruntled MSP's.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@briangreul

All excellent points.

To build on what you describe, it seems like there are two opportunities for Matterport.

The one I write about (above) under the description:

✓ iPhone 12 Pro / iPhone 12 Pro Max+ Po grade rotator

And, based your your (excellent) thinking:

✓ a LiDAR camera/scanner at a price point between the Pro2 and BLK360

It's features:

1. photography better than the BLK360
2. depth data better than Pro2
3. speed of capture not to exceed Pro2

I would suggest that Matterport encourage Leica to offer/sell this solution; rather than Matterport (which, again, should exit the hardware business so other scanner/camera companies would enter this space).

Clearly, Matterport is shooting itself in the foot with the Matterport Capture Services Program. While this strategy will increase Matterport business in the short term, it will discourage real estate photographers from using the Matterport platform: instead opting for a platform that that does not compete directly with photographers. Additionally, large photography agencies like Meero will likely offer a different 3D/360 solution (again, so they are not competing head on with Matterport).

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone know if the iPhone 12 Lidar is any different than that in the iPad Pro 2020? My knowledge is purely personal, not scientifically technical, however from use I find the iPad's Lidar to capture a far cruder 3D mesh than the Pro cameras with IR. And this makes it a poorer version for capturing Matterport walkthroughs.

My bet is on a Pro 3 with Lidar costing a bit more than the Pro 2. Only time will tell. Only evidence I offer is Adorama selling the Pro 3 for $400 off, and MP offering the Pro 2 to owners of Pro 1 for $700 off. Like shopping for cars in the fall.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I think the camera is a price point product, not a margin product. I think they picked a price that people can stomach.

The challenge is all the negative noise being created by the broker out of California coupled with the stark reality about not letting anyone new into MSS/MSP. The argument about not enough volume only holds a little water as most of the established MSP's are subbing the work out to photographers. In effect adding another layer to the system. Anyway, lest I digress... the real issue is that the value proposition for the camera and matterport are still iffy for me as a photographer. Even though I do well, I would caution anyone else because you are competing with Matterport and their preferred providers. There is virtually no opportunity to become a preferred provider or partner. It's not like they know who owns each camera and when they see you doing great work for one of their MSP/MSS partners they will offer you an opportunity to move up to a bigger slice of the pie.

I think Matterport has made a cash grab that will relegate them into a service. That's probably not the highest and best use of the technology. At the end of the day they had MSP's because they suck at creating and nurturing relationships. The whispers I hear from time to time are that some of the MSS clients are frustrated and have flown the coop.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101646 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?