Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360Capture AppCapture App 4.xCapture App AndroidPro2Ricoh Theta Z1Video

Matterport Video: Matterport Pro2 versus Leica BLK360 versus 360 Cameras13569

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: iOS and Matterport - 3D Capture with Mark Carroll | Video courtesy of Mike Carroll YouTube Channel | 16 November 2020

Hi All,

Matterport Sales Engineer Mark Carroll compares iOS devices meets Matterport:

✓ iPhone/iPad
✓ Matterport Pro2 3D Cameras
✓ Leica BLK360
✓ Ricoh Theta Z1 (and related 360 cameras)

WGAN Forum Discussions

1. WGAN Forum discussions tagged:

1. Pro2
2. BLK360
3. Ricoh Theta Z1
4. Android
5. Matterport Android Capture Beta for Pro2; Insta360 ONE/R, Ricoh Theta Z1/V
6. Transcript: Matterport ShopTalk #6 Webinar Video | 2 September 2020

Topics Covered

✓ Expanding Camera Lineup
✓ Android Support
✓ New Betas
✓ How to Back Up & Restore Models
✓ Q&A

Transcript (Video above)

Hi everyone. My name is Mark and I'm the sales engineer at Matterport. And today I'm going to talk to you about supported capture devices that are controlled using Apple iOS devices like an iPad or an iPhone. Every single iOS device, virtually every single device is able to control a Matterport supported capture device. So, as well as supporting the control of these capture devices the iOS devices are able to generate models themselves without these devices.

Now, to start off with I'm going to hit these devices first so whether it's the iPhone 12 Pro with LiDAR or its equivalent iPad, whether it's an iPad Pro that is not LiDAR enabled, and iPhone 8 that has no LiDAR enabled but just a single image lens on it. All of these devices are able to capture data using matter Matterport's Capture app and platform. The difference though between devices like the iPhone 8 and an iPad Pro without LiDAR is there is no measurement sensor on board. So, the accuracy and the results are going to be different based on the type of capture sensors you have for devices like this, it's only an imaging lens.

Similarly, these devices can also control things like Ricoh Theta Z1, also just images, just lenses, two-sided, but no measurement sensor on board like a laser LiDAR like on the iPhone Pro 12 or on the Leica BLK 360 laser. So in progression, we also have the Matterport Pro2 device. This is infrared structured light. This is a sensor that acts similarly to a laser or a sonar or a radar. It sends a signal out, waits for that signal to bounce back, and it measures that time and distance and determines measurements of objects in the space. This is not a laser but this is a similar technology to lasers or other technology to measure distances. These two devices here again have real measurement devices on board like the LiDAR laser but this is a far more powerful LiDAR laser than something someone would see in let's say the iPhone 12 Pro. The difference is the power output but it's a very similar technology across that whole board.

I'm going to summarize this way. The main use of Matterport, the majority of use cases that people use while using an Apple iOS device is the Pro2 device. This device is superior to all the rest of them because it's a consideration of time in the field, capturing, expense, how much the device costs. In review this BLK 360 could cost upwards of $18 ,000 or $19,000. This device though is somewhere around $3,000. It's far more robust. The image quality is through the roof. It's I think 134 megapixels combined for this device whereas this laser has a lower quality image content but the laser gets the measurement distances.

I'm going to summarize it like this. We have a desire to use different levels of fidelity, of accuracy, of image quality, of data collection. These are all different levels and different priorities. Construction is a building being built in a way it should? Do the lines of these walls line up to the plans? Something like the BLK360 is the tool that a person would use, large outdoor spaces, big construction sites. But this tool also is used in large construction sites, as well as things like real estate home sales. This is a very, very, very powerful tool for industries like large, big box stores that want an inventory of their property. This is that work horse tool that generates real measurements and real imaging.

And I'm going to go back and review just the opposite side of the scale. We're going back to the 360 images only with no measurement data but, Matterport is able to utilize images like iPhone 8, iPad Pro that's not LiDAR enabled. These are able to generate two dimensional images but Matterport can then take those two dimensional images and create them into three dimensional models based on the AI and data set based technology that was generated by a device like the Pro2 for years and years and years.

Another device that people use is something like this, a hard hat with a mount on a camera. This type of use case is also supported. This is an Insta 360 One X model as well as the Ricoh Theta Z1 and various other 360 cameras. So, I hope this gives you a good idea of the type of devices that are supported by Matterport. It is not just the imaging technology from smartphone capture, but that is one aspect of it in that full range of fidelity that's offered by Matterport on iOS devices through support and capture devices like these. So, I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions you can always contact me or customer support at Matterport. Again, my name is Mark. I'm the sales engineer at Matterport. And thanks a lot. I'll talk to you next time.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Camera Class Comparison | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 19 May 2020

Hi All,

Matterport Content Marketing Manager Amir Frank discusses the difference between the various cameras used to create a Matterport digital twin (video above):

✓ Matterport Pro2 3D Camera
✓ Leica BLK360
✓ 360 Cameras (Ricoh Theta Z1 / Ricoh Theta V / Insta360 One X
Matterport Capture iOS App (Beta)

Video: Comparing Matterport Camera Options: Pro2 Versus, 360 Cameras, BLK360

Your thoughts?

Dan

Source: Matterport Website (22 May 2020)
Post 2 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

This is good as a discussion of measurement type, general use case, and accuracy. Have you ever found a Matterport discussion/presentation showing where and why each fails and telling where and why each succeeds/is chosen. I think this would help a lot of people understand when to rent a BLK, how to price certain types of jobs (time considerations), whether they can do certain types of jobs and when (time of day) they have to do them. You learn these things in the field - but you have a lot of scars and lost revenue with self discovery. Going deeply into how each captures helps. Wondered if you’ve ever found something along those lines.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@dave3d

Ha! There are 77,311 posts among 12,544 topics (as of today, 18 November 2020) and many of them are on this topic of which tool is right for which project and how to mitigate problems.

I suppose you could refine this by search for these WGAN Forum tags:

Large
Outdoors
Measurements
BLK360
Accuracy
Pricing
✓ Or, search for the WGAN Forum tags about your space, challenge

Plus, the WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) has 60+ courses because there are challenges, best practices, etc.

Based on your post, sounds like you could write a ton on this topic. (And, I hope you do!)

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan,

I did search the posts before asking - not today but over time. I may be looking for more explanation than others. Yes - I could write something. I'll think about the construct.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dave3d
Thanks Dan,

I did search the posts before asking - not today but over time. I may be looking for more explanation than others. Yes - I could write something. I'll think about the construct.

Great!

Please do start a new WGAN Forum post for your thoughts on this topic.

Another option: be my guest on WGAN-TV Live at 5. We could discuss:

Measurement: which Matterport capture solution is right for the job?

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
101646 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?