Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DJIDronelinkMavic MiniPhantom 4 ProRainbow

3rd Party Flight Apps for Mavic Mini & other DJI Drones13554

cgraft private msg quote post Address this user
Do any WGAN members have experience with the 3rd party options to control the Mavic Mini drone?

Interested because some appear to greatly expand the capabilities of the little mini quite substantially. Adding waypoints, Orbit mode, 360 PANO, & object tracking. Along with hyperlapse & additional camera settings.

I read that they're built on the DJI SDK. So presumably they are fairly flight stable??

The apps I have seen are Dronelink & Rainbow. With the fuller featured looking to be Dronelink. Looks like it allows the creation of your entire flight path and camera angles from a web browser before you even get on site. So theres no work in the field. Just show up and open your flight.

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
I have not. Though I did sell my original Mavic Mini and picked up the new Mini 2

The new DJI Mini 2 picked up Raw capability for images, in addition to 360 panos, & 4k video capability. Biggest feature though was the inclusion of Occusync 2.0 for better signal and image transmission
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch have you tried the 360 pano stitching? I do not have a DJI but tapped into this link to look for secondary software that will stitch or control an Autel EVO to get good series of photos for 360 stitching.
Post 3 IP   flag post
cgraft private msg quote post Address this user
I heard the Mini 2 feels much more solid in flight.

Are you still nervous to fly in winds over 15MPH @lilnitsch?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@ron0987

I have an App (Panorama Stitcher for Mac) that does a pretty good job. But, Typically, I just use the stitched jpg right out of the drone as they are good enough for me and my agents

@cgraft

For higher winds if I choose to fly I would use my Mavic 2 Pro as it is a much more stable airframe
Post 5 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
According to specs, Phantom 4 Pro has slightly better wind tolerance than Mavic 2 but I've found that it can lean into the wind almost to max 90 degrees. Best in the wind, per some videos on YouTube, is the Yuneec H520.

One of the best 3rd party apps is Litchi. It can automate your flights for stills & video with waypoints, orbit and 360 panorama. I think I read that they will be specifically supporting the Mini 2 in an upcoming release but it may already support it through the DJI API as you point out.

Other apps include Pix4D Capture, DroneDeploy app for IOS & Android, and Map Pilot from MapsMadeEasy. All provide various features to plan/execute autonomous flights in addition to mapping. They all provide support for DJI and other drones.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I rarely fly the Phantom's or Inspire's anymore as they just draw too much attention.

We have quite a few "tin hat" folks here and everyone seem to think you are spying on them. I use to put on the "FAA pilot" vest but, that drew even more attention
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Not how I treat my equipment but, here is a high wind flight with the new Mini 2

Post 8 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Agree! My fluorescent vest & P4P have been gathering dust and my Mavic 2 Pro gets 90%+ of the workload - better images, less intrusive, flies almost as well as P4P. I still have my Mavic Air if I want to go stealth. I have used the vest & P4P, though, when shooting new construction for a builder. I might be doing some of that this weekend.

I've gotten stable stills from the Mavic 2 Pro with 30 mph+ gusts and somewhat stable video at 25+ mph gusts. I wouldn't try 360 pano at anything above 15 mph, though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@EaglePrecision

I work foe a couple production builders ~ when shooting these projects I just logo up in that particular builders apparel
Post 10 IP   flag post
101426 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?