Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Question of the DayREALTORStatistics

Question of the Day: How Many Houses Do Real Estate Agents Sell a Year?13535

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Friday, 13 November 2020:

How Many Houses Do Real Estate Agents Sell?)

"The average house is around $225,000. That means an agent would make about $5,000 per house sold if they sold average priced homes. If the average agent makes $40,000 a year that means they sell about 8 houses a year. If an agent is in a much more expensive market they may only have to sell one house to make $40,000 or 20 houses if they are in a cheaper market," says this source on 12 September 2019.

Got a source for a different number of listings sold per year?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Gilroy, California
Dataventurer private msg quote post Address this user
There is another way to find out sales volumes for your local area/county. Check with the local MLS (Multiple Listings Service)!

And instead of trying to figure out how many houses an agent sells in a year, look at the monthly sales volume for your local area. That will provide a realistic idea of the "pie" in your area. Then go after your piece of it!

In my own research as a Coldwell Banker agent to see what kind of media were being used in the listings, I created a table from the MLS for my local area. There were 84 listings on August 18 in my study. I was shocked to find that 33% of the properties selling for over a million dollars DID NOT HAVE A 360 TOUR!?!?!? (last line on the table)

Here are three links to examples of information you might find by searching on your local MLS site. The local MLS posts a monthly summary presentation of real estate stats per county on their YouTube channel. It's easy to subscribe to the channel to receive notifications when the presentations are posted. I watch it every month to get a quick idea of the local market, then use stats of interest to create a monthly market update to my mailing list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQnwY__FQTI&feature=youtu.be see slide at 1:53

Check the MLS site in the Media section of your local site for other stats:

https://mlslpub.blob.core.windows.net/cms-content-assets/media-center/2020/MLSL_MktInd_Snapshot_Oct2020.pdf

https://mlslpub.blob.core.windows.net/cms-content-assets/media-center/2020/MLSL_SFH_MarketDataReport_Oct2020_111020.pdf

I found these resources within about five minutes on our local MLS site. This info is available to the public. Check your local service to see what they offer. At the least, you should be able to find out the monthly sales number somewhere on the site. Another favorite stat is the average selling price.
Post 2 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
On sales per agent I think you are missing the boat a bit.

Look at NARS info and MLS data in your markets.

First - almost 90% of agents fail within 5 years. So most are under 8 houses a year. The upper 10% sell a lot of the homes with the upper 5% selling far more houses than the rest. Agents have to sell about 2M a year to reach income of less than 40K. And that 40K is before expenses. The tour comes out of that income - so if they can avoid it they will. Tours are as much (or more) to get the listing than to sell the house right now. Now too you have companies like Zillow taking 1/3 of the real estate fee in a number of markets. So the number of homes sold by an agent to make the same income is increasing.

Another issue is that a lot of the sales agents do have - are for buyers - not listings. Beginning agents, are more likely to be bringing buyers (still called selling a house).

Add in, that in this market you have the lowest interest rates in history with no inventory. Houses are going up in price because there aren't many to buy. Double digit increases in price over last year across the US - with the lowest double digit increase in the midwest.

So don't be terribly shocked if many don't have tours. And tours per agent isn't the predictor. Your agent market is much smaller than agents in general.

I'm not saying tours are down - they aren't - tours are way up with covid. I'm guessing a lot of the tours that are out there are iphone and such and 360 cameras like thetas. I don't have numbers on those counts as percentages of total that I've seen.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Average or median??

About half of them don't list and sell anything.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Why do you want to know this information?

I have heard that 10% of agents do 90% of the work and I believe this to be true.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Matt19
@DanSmigrod Why do you want to know this information?

I have heard that 10% of agents do 90% of the work and I believe this to be true.

@Matt19

Please permit me to answer your question with a question.

Hi All,

How will knowing "How Many Houses Do Real Estate Agents Sell a Year?" - and related discussed above - help you succeed faster as a real estate / virtual tour photographer?

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
101635 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?