Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BrokenMatterFixQuestion of the DayRepairs

Question of the Day: Have you ever dropped your Matterport Camera? And, ...13531

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Thursday, 12 November 2020:

Have you ever dropped your Matterport Camera ... and, what happened?)

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod, hush your mouth! haha, seriously, no, but it's a great question and I'm looking forward to reading responses. I've been in numerous situations where I **should have** taken the camera off of the tripod (scaling a slanted roof or ladder) and breathed a deep sigh of relief once the scan(s) were captured.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
My camera tipped over due to a tripod leg clamp not being fully closed...onto a concrete floor! Top came off of camera and tore the Wi-Fi cable off of the antenna. Replaced the wifi antenna and all was fine after that. Matterport cameras are remarkably well built considering the technology that's in them!

This happened a while ago and started me on the road to offering Matterport camera repairs! You can check out pricing etc at MatterFix.io If you have any Matterport repair questions, message me or post then to the forum....always glad to help fellow MSPs!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Glad to know you are out there Matterfix!
I just looked at the website though and the contact us page isn't working, I couldn't find a phone no. or e-mail, is that deliberate so we can only contact you through WGAN message board?

Also, just wondering how are ship costs handled when repairs are needed?

Thank you!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
I have dropped mine twice. Once did t tighten the holding clamp properly it hit the ground on a corner and the bottom came off and is still off to this day but that was 2 years ago and has worked fine until recently lol.

The second time was about 3 weeks ago. A charging cable between my iPad and a battery pack caught on the tripod and pulled it over as I walked away. The camera came down very hard but flat on its back.

When I picked it up it was off and I feared the worse. But I booted it and it came back on and I finished the scan.

However since then my wifi connection has been disconnecting to the point that i was having to leave my iPad below the camera when I need to get out of shot.

Thankfully I have a MP Pro 2 lite backup which I am using.

Keen to know how you fixed the wifi matterfix
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Skeeter private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I have drop on to a tile floor. Clamp wasn't tightened and it fell out while scanning. The top popped off and I had to get transmitting wires soldered. It's still working fine.

My first camera, Pro-1, went for a swim overboard while shooting a nice yacht. A gust of wind blew it off the foredeck and that was it. I jump in after it but it was dead for ever.

Just make sure you have your insurance paid up!!!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
@noddy Thanks for the feedback! Just launched the website last week in kind of a rush! Contact us should be fixed now...email us directly at info@matterfix.io, or post to WGAN or message us through WGAN @MatterFix.

You can pay to ship the camera to us or we can email you a shipping label...just need to give relevant info for a label if you want us to create. Customers pay for shipping both ways and cost of repair. We usually get repairs done in a day or two of receiving the camera and provide 1 year warranty on all repairs. Our prices are very competetive too!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
@3dshowcaseuk - We've seen this before...what probably happened is the wifi cable got crushed / pinched when the camera fell...the wifi and GPS cables run between the interior metal frame of the camera and the exterior plastic housing and they can get damaged during a fall even when the camera looks fine otherwise...the damaged cable still is able to send some signal but not at the level it should. Cost and time to ship camera from UK for a wifi antenna replacement is not practical. I have another solution in this case...pm me if you would like more info.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Great, all good info!
My cameras are working fine right now, but you're on my radar if anything comes up!
Best of luck with the new business venture
Post 9 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
yep, loose clamp....

Right before a large week of scans (over 100K SF).....

Overnighted priority FEDEX to Matterfix, they received next day, fixed it on that day and overnighted back on that day, received the following day before noon...

So that camera (PRO2)out of commission for less than 72 hrs.

Repair charge was 1/4 that quoted by Matterport!

I think it took two days to get the RMA and quote for repair from Matterport.

Thanks Mike
Post 10 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
Your welcome Dave! And thanks for the great feedback!
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
On my 2nd shoot, probably scan #30 on my Pro2 3D, I set my camera on top of the tripod, and forgot to tighten it up, only to watch it fall in slow motion to the tile floor, as I attempted to move the tripod to a different location. The bottom panel blew off, but thankfully all that was bruised was my pride - as it happened right in front of the client. Oops. Never happened again.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
WGAN-TV Top 10 Matterport Pro Camera Repairs with MatterFix Founder Mike Vorce-#1641-Common Signs Of Spill Damage

Hi All,

In this WGAN-TV Live at 5 Short Story (#1641 above), @MatterFix Founder Mike Vorce talks about fixing a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera that has been dropped.

To watch the entire interview with Mike:

Transcript: WGAN-TV Top 10 Matterport Pro1, Pro2 & Pro2 Lite Camera Repairs

Here's hoping that you don't need @MatterFix Matterport Pro2 camera repair service in 2021!

Happy New Year,

Dan

Free! 12 months of WGAN-TV Training Academy Membership with MatterFix repairs of $250 or more.

Flat Fee $250 Repair! - Introductory special - Flat fee repair price of $250! If your camera has one or two of these common problems, we will repair it for $250: (If we cannot fix your camera, we do not charge you anything (some issues can only be taken care of by sending your camera to Matterport).)

1) Damaged WiFi antenna
2) Damaged GPS antenna
3) Minor housing damage
4) Charging port problem
5) Needs re-assembly and testing[/i]

Transcript (video above)

Top 10 Matterport Camera Repairs; number seven needs total disassembly, reassembly & testing. What just happened if that's required?

- There again the camera's taking a spill, and it's not functioning correctly. You're getting a sensor; ... the spill can cause the camera sensor assembly to get out of alignment. The housing can get shifted, the battery packs could move around inside.

There's a number of things that can cause the camera to display a sensor error after taking a spill. And if you tried rebooting it and a few different things like that, and try reconnecting a few times and you're still getting it, if the camera sensor assembly has not been damaged physically damaged, it's likely that the camera can be disassembled, everything detached, put back together correctly everything's seated correctly and totally reassembled and then turn it on and it'll function correctly.

- Would one of the indicators that I have a problem is that this would rattle?

- Yeah, if that's rattling, you may have more problems ... You've maybe even have something broken inside. A lot of times the camera won't rattle, it'll take a spill and it won't rattle, but the Wi-Fi cable has gotten pinched inside or the camera the assembly has gotten out of alignment and you get a sensor error, those types of things.

- Oh, so ultimately I go to scan and it works, I'm good.

- Yup.

- And if something doesn't work then that might be an indication that that fall caused the problem that needs to be repaired.

- Yeah, Matterport cameras are remarkably well built. I mean, I've seen some that had taken spills and you would think that, Oh, this delicate electronics, it's going to be all the damage in that end. They can take a pretty good spill and keep on working.

- Mike, I think to Matterport's credit in the six and 1/2 years that we've been doing the We Get Around Network Forum, there have only been a handful of problems with the physical part of the cameras itself. And I would say that every sentence either began or ended with, "And I dropped the camera," "It spilled," "It fell down."

It wasn't like, "Oh, it just failed," it's truly been there was some violent event that took place regarding the camera. I've never heard of somebody dropping it down the stairs or over the balcony or dropping it, spill out of a moving car. I'd love to hear those people tell their stories firsthand. But I think my impression is the Matterport Pro series cameras have been very well-built and as long as you take good care of it, you're not going to have a problem.

And even the battery problems which is probably the one that's been most reported in the We Get Around Network Forum. That was always either teased out with one more post with a "Hey, when was the last time you charged the camera?" and you get a response, "Well, it's been in the closet for six months, I decided to use it again. and, lo and behold, it didn't work."
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Text Me 5 Minutes Before WGAN-TV is Live

MatterFix

WGAN-TV: Top 10 Matterport Pro1, Pro2 & Pro2 Lite Camera Repair (Revisited)

Hi All,

After that sinking feeling when you drop your Matterport Pro1, Pro2 or Pro2 Lite 3D Camera, then what?

On WGAN-TV Live at 5 on Thursday, 18 November 2021, Gainesville, Florida-based MatterFix Founder Mike Vorce (@MatterFix) – a Matterport Authorized Repair Service Provider - will show and tell us:

Top 10 Matterport Pro1, Pro2 & Pro2 Lite Camera Repair (Revisited)

-- Which repairs can you DIY (with one of these MatterFix repair kits?
==> Matterport Camera WiFi Antenna Replacement Kit
==> Matterport Camera Housing Repair Kit
==> Matterport Camera Charger Port Replacement Kit
-- How can you avoid some of these repairs?
-- How do you recognize the problem (and the likely repair needed)?
-- How much does each repair typically cost?
-- What if you are outside the United States? Including MatterFix UK

1 - WiFi Antenna
✓ Camera was dropped
✓ Other connection problems

2 - Camera Top or Bottom Plate(s) Dislodged / Housing Not Fitted Together Properly
✓ Camera was dropped

3 - Batteries
✓ Camera will not charge or only charges to 50%

4 - Charger, Charger Port or OLED Panel
✓ No reading on display when charger is plugged in

5 - Pro2 Lite Battery Life
✓ Upgrade Pro2 Lite by adding second battery

6 - Unstable Error
✓ Capture device shows “unstable” error after a scan

7 - Sensor Errors
✓ Pro1
✓ Pro2 & Pro2 Lite

8 - Failure to Align Error
✓ Capture device displays “failure to align” error when camera moved to new scan position

9 - Blurry Images (in models), Stitching Errors in Capture App, Noisy or Erratic Rotation
✓ Usually related to the Clutch Assembly and/or Stepper Motor

10 - Excessive Fan Noise

In addition to covering these Top 10 Matterport Pro Camera Repairs (Revisited), topics, I also ask Mike:

1. Chat about: MatterFix is now an officially authorized repair partner for Matterport cameras!
2. How and why he decided to offer repairs of Matterport Pro1, Pro2 and Pro2 Lite Cameras
3. Repair Pricing
4. One-year MatterFix Warrantee
5. Free! 12 months of WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) with a MatterFix Repair of $250+ for WGAN Forum Members

About MatterFix (from the MatterFix Website)

MatterFix.io is a Matterport Authorized Repair Partner to provide repair services for all Matterport cameras.

At MatterFix, we provide out-of-warranty repair services for Pro1, Pro2 & Pro Lite Matterport cameras. We pride ourselves on providing a quick turn-around time (typically next-day service), reasonable pricing, and a one-year warranty on all of our repairs. Having owned a small chain of mobile device repair shops for eight years, we have extensive experience repairing electronic devices. MatterFix is an independent repair service company not affiliated with the Matterport company.

Being Matterport Service Providers ourselves, we know how important it is for you to keep your camera operating properly. We provide repairs for a wide range of issues, from physical camera damage & WiFi antenna replacement to board level micro-soldering & component replacement. We do not charge for estimates or evaluations, and there is never a charge if we cannot repair your camera.

While we can fix most Matterport camera problems, certain repairs can only be resolved by Matterport directly. Whether we repair your camera or the camera should be sent to Matterport for service, we will always advise you of all of the repair options available.

1-Year Warranty included on all repairs.

Video: Matterport Camera - Complete Camera Assembly Video | Video courtesy of MatterFix YouTube Channel | 30 May 2021

Special Offer for WGAN Forum Members

Free! 12 months of WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) Membership with a MatterFix repair of $250 or more.
Post 14 IP   flag post
101628 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?