Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
FireInsuranceInsurance ClaimsRestoration

Matterport Case Study: Fire Restoration, Mitigation, Insurance Claims13449

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport Digital Twin courtesy of Superior Restoration, Southern California

Matterport Blog (14 September 2020) How Matterport Helped Superior Restoration Customers Recover from Wildfire Losses Faster

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
In$uran¢e is ¢heap. Great tool if they are willing to pay for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
The company my son works for that does water and fire damage restoration has just purchased a Matterport system. My son is the estimator and said MP started showing up in a lot of trade shows. MP’s take was they were better off buying a camera and running it themself and not use a service provider. Great angle but my son said not only did they show up at trade shows they received tons of cold calls from MP in an attempt to sell cameras. Again MP’s goal is to sell cameras.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Houston
Restoration companies probably will benefit from running it themselves.

1) They often need to respond in the middle of the night.
2) They really don't need the Pro2 as long as the Pro1 is supported. The 360 cameras would do what they need as well. They will use Xactimate Mobile for sketching the space.... MP floorplans aren't accurate enough and take too long and still would need to be redrawn in XM8 (shorthand for Xactimate).
3) Their primary value is documenting the scene so that when they bill the client or carrier there aren't fights about what was or was not there. That will cut both ways, but the honest companies will benefit. The costs for them will be relatively inexpensive once they understand how to operate the camera.

MP rarely gives a damn about it's camera owners or service providers..... as evidenced by this week's crappy update that breaks more than it fixed and the incessant focus on biting the hand that feeds them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab: Get a WGAN-TV Live at 5 Show Reminder via Text

Matterport digital twin of a house file. Matterport tour courtesy of Pearland, TX-based A Public Adjuster Group LLC (Randell Smith)

Matterport TruePlan Xactimate Sketch courtesy of Omaha, Nebraska-based Property Damage Estimating Services Owner @Jacek Kazimierz Latarewicz

Property Damages Estimating Services | Contact Us

WGAN-TV MSPs: Understanding Matterport & Xactimate for Insurance Adjusting

Hi All,

How does a public insurance adjuster and restoration contractor use Xactimate and Matterport to help clients receive an accurate estimate on their insurance claim?

Why does this matter to Matterport Service Providers? (1. accurate measurements; 2. eliminates sketching a space by hand; 3. eliminates photos; 4. saves money/time related to travel)

Now that Matterport offers its TruePlan Service to create Xactimate models, Matterport Service Providers have a powerful tool to offer for insurance claims of properties that have experienced fire and flood damage.

Find out much more on WGAN-TV Live at 5 on Thursday, 28 January 2021 when my guest is: Omaha, Nebraska-based Property Damage Estimating Services Owner Jacek Kazimierz Latarewicz (@Jacek):

WGAN-TV | MSPs: Understanding Matterport & Xactimate for Insurance Adjusting

Learn the lingo and value propositions from an experienced Xactimate insurance estimator so that you can develop new business with:

1. Public Insurance Adjusters (PAs)
2. Renovation and Remediation companies
3. Insurance companies
4. Law Firms (litigation of property damage)
5. Claim consultants for insurance companies ($1+ million claims)
6. Other companies that find the Matterport TruePlan Xactimate helpful

Jacek will walk us through an Xactimate plan and a Matterport digital twin of a house fire to show how the Xactimate and Matterport tour are used for insurance claims (and why these tools are much better than just photos for documenting claims).

Jacek has 20+ years of experience using Xactimate to help policy holders get the most money back on an insurance claim by having an accurate estimate and previously worked as a Senior Xactimate Estimator estimating insurance claims.

I met Jacek in 2016 when he helped my wife and I in Atlanta with insurance adjusting for water damage in our home (when we were not getting as much money as we thought we should have from the insurance company).

Shortly afterwards, that lead to me doing a Matterport digital twin of a flood damaged home (below) and described in detail in this WGAN Forum discussion (and video below):

Video: Matterport Space Meets Water Damage Insurance Claim

WGAN Forum Related Discussion

Transcript: Matterport Webinar: Matterport TruePlan™ (Xactimate)
Transcript: Matterport Insurance Claims: Flood/Fire Remediation/Restoration
Transcript: WGAN-TV | How to (Easily) Add Lights to Matterport Pro2 Camera
Transcript: WGAN-TV: Matterport Meets Insurance Underwriting and Risk Mgmt

WGAN Forum Discussions Tagged

TruePlan
Xactimate
Insurance
Insurance Adjusters
Insurance Claims Settlement
Flood
Fire
Remediation
Renovation

What questions should I ask Jacek on this WGAN-TV Live at 5 show?

Best,

Dan

Video: Matterport Meets Insurance Documentation (11 June 2016) | Video courtesy of WGAN-TV YouTube Channel | WGAN-TV Live 5 guest - Omaha, Nebraska-based Property Damage Estimating Services Owner Jacek Kazimierz Latarewicz - in blue shirt in the center.

Matterport digital twin of a flood damaged home by We Get Around Network Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod
Post 5 IP   flag post
Xactimate®
Estimates
Jacek private msg quote post Address this user
Estimating (Ethics & Code of Conduct)
ASPE-The American Society of Professional Estimators
Estimating Ethics Canon #1 states that - Estimators shall perform services in areas of their discipline & competence.
Insurance property claim adjusters & contractors are performing the role of a construction estimator on your insurance claim, so a 3D Matterport scan & a TruePlan for accurate measurements for interior space(s) on a claim should be absolutely 100% mandatory! It would protect homeowners/business owners against potential disputes with their adjusters and contractors who are taking on the role of a construction estimator with little or no construction experience. That is just insane to me. Don't get me wrong there's tons of excellent adjusters & contractors out there but there's also tons of bad ones who don't always have the policy owners interest at heart/lack of experience/training. It goes both ways. We have the technology and infrastructure in place to eliminate these problems.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Xactimate®
Estimates
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Matterport Digital Twin courtesy of Superior Restoration, Southern California

Matterport Blog (14 September 2020) How Matterport Helped Superior Restoration Customers Recover from Wildfire Losses Faster

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Xactimate®
Estimates
Estimating Ethics Canon #1 states that - Estimators shall perform services in areas of their discipline & competence.
Insurance property claim adjusters & contractors are performing the role of a construction estimator on your insurance claim, so a 3D Matterport scan & a TruePlan for accurate measurements for interior space(s) on a claim should be absolutely100% mandatory! It would protect homeowners/business owners against potential disputes with their adjusters and contractors who are taking on the role of a construction estimator with little or no construction experience. That is just insane to me. Don't get me wrong there's tons of excellent adjusters & contractors out there but there's also tons of bad ones who don't always have the policy owners interest at heart/lack of experience/training. It goes both ways. We have the technology and infrastructure in place to eliminate these problems.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Houston
It's worth pointing out that "Insurance adjuster" is lingo... aka slang. The technical term is settlement agent. The other 3 parties are producers (sales), underwriting, and management.

Insurance adjusters are licensed in most, but not all states. Every carrier I know extensively trains their adjusters that are on the payroll. Independent adjusters are also trained in depth on the aspects of the claim they work on. Staff and Independent adjusters have a fiduciary duty to the carrier, their employer.

Public adjusters have a fiduciary duty to the client, who pays them out of their insurance proceeds.

Leave flood out of it for a minute because that is a Federal Program and different animal.

The role of an adjuster is to estimate the damage covered under the policy and propose a settlement that makes the insured whole under the policy. An insured should not profit from their loss, this is called betterment and is a whole other can of worms.

Generally speaking, if you have a dispute with your carrier you need an attorney, not a public adjuster in my opinion. A PA can help you with coming up with creative estimates and finding every little thing. Your attorney will often bring one in. But an Attorney can give you legal advice and pursue an equitable settlement at law.

Right now the issue honestly is not PA's, Attorney's or Staff/Independent adjusters. The issue is that carriers are chaining their staff and independent adjusters to the desk and sending unqualified, unlicensed, and untrained people out to take pictures and measurements. It's wrecked the IA space and most of us have moved on to other things like Matterport. Last year the carriers had a hard time finding enough adjusters. Adjusters have a hard time making a living working a few weeks here and a few weeks there. At one point I had 30 licenses and a Level 3 Xactimate certification. I was licensed in New York which is a hard license to get. I still have a Texas license. I'm also licensed as an inspector in Texas and that's really where my focus is. Stable income and predictable schedule.

Independent Adjusters are typically paid commission on residential claims based on the size of the estimate. The idea is that the work is tied to the complexity. In commercial claims it's typically time and expenses.

Carrier systems are ill-equipped to deal with Matterport. They have a hard time dealing with 300 photos. They are antiquated main frame and client/server systems at the three largest insurers. They can't even handle video or 360 video from GoPro, much less a Matterport model.

In my opinion, Matterport is best for pre-loss documentation in commercial and high-value situations. It's also good in commercial claims where a dispute is likely and there is alot of detail to root through after the loss.

A typical adjuster doesn't have the time to spend capturing a loss or going through a model. Nor do we need or want the accuracy it offers. It's much faster to work with Xactimate Mobile, an iPad, and a Leica Disto.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Xactimate®
Estimates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek
Insurance property claim adjusters & contractors are performing the role of a construction estimator on your insurance claim, so a 3D Matterport scan & a TruePlan for accurate measurements for interior space(s) on a claim should be absolutely100% mandatory! It would protect homeowners/business owners against potential disputes with their adjusters and contractors who are taking on the role of a construction estimator with little or no construction experience. That is just insane to me. Don't get me wrong there's tons of excellent adjusters & contractors out there but there's also tons of bad ones who don't always have the policy owners interest at heart/lack of experience/training. It goes both ways. We have the technology and infrastructure in place to eliminate these problems.

The technical term is settlement agent for adjuster thank you for the correction
Post 10 IP   flag post
Houston
It varies depending on who's law you are reading. New York is the most formal (and one of the older ones) that I've seen.

I think settlement agent is a better label that puts the role into context. Carriers have variously neutered the licensees by restricting how much of it they do. They get very upset if you go beyond that because legally you can bind the carrier by stating whether something is or is not covered. Agents can do the same thing. The only time the IA's get involved is when the carrier doesn't have a business case to keep a local adjuster (rural market) or can't meet the required deadlines to handle the claims and is at risk of being fined (catastrophe).

I've handled a couple of claims where the agent extended coverage on their own. That was a interesting experience to say the least. Had to get sign off from the VP of Claims on those. lol. Basically it went on the agent's E&O coverage.

At any rate, I always like to remind folks that insurance is licensed the same as stock brokers and financial advisors. It's FINRA licensing which involves deep background checks. I'm pretty sure PA's fall in the same group. At the end of the day we all serve the client, there are just differing points of view on how.

The majority of the folks are good people... but there are some "pieces of work" as adjusters, PA's, and contractors.... especially roofers who think every piece of bird sh*t is hail.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Xactimate®
Estimates
clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
Xactimate®
Estimates
Good to know thank you Sir. You taught me something new. I appreciate you.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
I learned a bit here too. Not sure I will use it, but I like to know things.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Matterport for Restoration in 30 Seconds | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 6 April 2021
Post 15 IP   flag post
101437 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?