Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AsteroomInsta360 One RPro2ScanningVersus

Matterport Pro2 vs Insta360 One R vs Asteroom (iPhone 11 Pro)13438

picture_this private msg quote post Address this user
Per a recent forum conversation I had with Dan, here are three tours for the same property.

Pro2
Scan time: 1 hour
Process time: 3 hours

Insta360 One R
Scan time: 30 minutes
Process time: 1.5 hours

Asteroom (iPhone 11 Pro)
Scan time: 30 minutes
Initial Process time: 34 hours
Additional Process time: 14 hours

The Asteroom tour required 2 additional rounds of revisions to make a few minor edits (that you're able to do yourself in the Matterport platform). For example, two scans were removed from the dollhouse / navigation view but depending on which direction you approached the missing scan from it still showed up as a navigation option.

From a customer service standpoint, my opinion is the Asteroom platform definitely has some growth ahead of them before they're able to develop any type of realistic competitive advantage. I shot the property on Tuesday and it's scheduled to hit the MLS on Friday. With Matterport, I was able to send my client a link just a few hours after leaving the property. If I was depending on Asteroom for this particular job, it would have been extremely tense to be delivering the tour a full 48 hours later.

I also think there's a pretty clear difference in exposure latitude and resolution in favor of the Pro2 over the Insta360 One R. It's up to you to judge if it's a $2K difference - and speaking of "up to you", I'm always open to suggestions for technique / execution / approach. No matter what area of life you're exploring, there's always someone that's been doing it longer or does it better that are excellent resources to learn from. (As you may have found, they're not always the same person, though!)
Post 1 IP   flag post
wishing_well private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for taking the time to do this excellent comparison. This is the clearest illustration of what I have felt to be the current state of 'quick' capture technology options.

Just anecdotally if you were to mark up the content with matter tags and media content how do you think that might affect the production time? If say Asteroom might need a little more tweaking to add relevant content might it be something around 40% more time?
Post 2 IP   flag post
San Francisco
EricTsai private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @picture_this,

Thanks for the feedback. We aim for 24 hours dollhouse delivery, and so far we are able to meet this SLA at about 60% of the time. Last week was a busy week for the team. As we continue to ramp up, we are expecting to hit 85% mark in 1-2 months. This doesn't include the revision time. Keep in mind that your tour is still viewable even during the dollhouse processing and the revision window.

In terms of competitive advantage - seems like when you used iPhone 11 with Asteroom rotator to shoot, it took you 30 minutes. If you had used an Insta360 and Rioch camera for this property, you will be cut the shooting time in half, and that is Asteroom's competitive advantage. If you do 4 properties a day, that's over 2 hours of your time saved every day.

Thanks for your feedback. It's very helpful for the team as we continue to grow.
Post 3 IP   flag post
picture_this private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Eric -

I appreciate you taking the time to comment. The other area that I neglected to mention where you definitely have an advantage is cost of entry to the platform.

For direct comparison, this Asteroom tour had a total of 21 scans. The MC250 Matterport tour had a total of 50 scans. With the rotator, the per-scan time is roughly comparable, but Asteroom has an advantage with total scanning time by not requiring the same amount of scans per room to "build out" the render. As you mentioned, that time savings can be further increased with the use of a 360° camera. One additional aspect I appreciate is the ability to tie outside spaces into the tour flow in a slightly more cohesive flow as compared to Matterport.

Best of luck to you and the rest of the team as you continue to innovate the space.
Post 4 IP   flag post
San Francisco
EricTsai private msg quote post Address this user
@picture_this

Thanks for the feedback! We know turnaround time is important for photographers, so we will continue to work on this. Our goal is to get 80% of the project turned around in 24 hours.

-Eric
Post 5 IP   flag post
101429 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?