Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CommentaryGeoCVLawsuitsVersus

Matterport Settles lawsuit with GeoCV: What Likely Happened13388

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
GeoCV 3D Tour courtesy of GeoCV | As long as this GeoCV 3D Tour is working, it's a possible indicator that GeoCV confidentially licensed the Matterport tech for a de minimis amount of money to enable it to continue to offer GeoCV service to its existing clients, but not add new GeoCV accounts. That's one of my conclusions below.

Video: WGAN-TV Live at 5: GeoCV FAQs with GeoCV Co-Founder and CEO Anton Yakubenko | Special Thanks to Sunningdale, Ascot, Berkshire, UK-based (Responsive Reality) @leonvanzweel and Los Angeles-based (Home3D.us) @Home3D Kevin Dole for asking questions (and for Kevin giving us a sneak peak at his GeoCV scanning experience (Kevin is the first WGAN Member to borrow a GeoCV Kit from the WGAN 360º Camera Loaner Program.) Thursday, 28 February 2019 (I erroneously say in the show, February 28 2018.)

---

Matterport Settles lawsuit with GeoCV: What Likely Happened

Hi All,

In the David versus Goliath fight being played out in US Federal court, it looks like Goliath won, but David may still have made off with some significant cash to stage its fall in battle.

For those of us cheering GeoCV on - because it 3D tour experience was better than Matterport and sweetened its service with features professional photographers wanted (white-labeling, self-hosting, customer owners the copyright, content editing, unlimited processing and hosting; offline viewing and password protection access) and not available from Matterport - the settlement announcement two days ago was a day of mourning.

These two comments in the WGAN Forum got me thinking, what likely happened to end the two-year-old Matterport versus GeoCV lawsuit:

From the WGAN Forum discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @immersivespaces
It was a fight GeoCV could have won, but didn't have the money or resources to do so. It's unfortunate. I still think the GeoCV system had the potential to be a huge improvement over Matterport. Now that ship has completely sailed. This will also effectively block future development in the actual 3D capture space.

✓ Matterport and GeoCV Reach Settlement in Two-Year Matterport Lawsuit
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/13364/page/1/matterport-and-geocv-reach-settlement-in-two-year-matterport-lawsuit/

From the WGAN Forum discussion:

✓ Lawsuit: Matterport, Inc. versus GeoCV, Inc. - All Legal Documents
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/8034/page/3/lawsuit-matterport-inc-versus-geocv-inc---all-legal-documents/

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Convrts
What a shame, though I guess it was inevitable that GeoCV were going to throw the towel with the team having moved on to other things. Matterport seem a bit like King Canute trying to hold back the tide though, as there's an increasing amount of pretenders to their throne.

I could imagine that the following happened to end the two-year Matterport versus GeoCV lawsuit:

1. GeoCV stipulated that it infringed on Matterport patents so that Matterport could claim it won the lawsuit; and help defer other virtual tour platforms from challenging Matterport patents.
2. GeoCV received a large, undisclosed payment for agreeing to a permanent injunction.
3. GeoCV confidentially licensed the Matterport tech for a de minimis amount of money to enable it to continue to offer GeoCV service to its existing clients, but not add new GeoCV accounts
4. GeoCV and Matterport agreed to keep the terms of the agreement confidential; including the amount of the payment to GeoCV.

I could also imagine that if Matterport did not write a large check to GeoCV, GeoCV’s lead investor would have continued through a jury trial - to go for the win - in order to be able to sell GeoCV to a Matterport competitor. (Since the entire GeoCV tech team has already moved on, I could not imagine that GeoCV would attempt to build the company from scratch (again).

Under the leadership of a new CEO, I could imagine that the GeoCV lawsuit was continuing to sap management time and energy and it made “cents” to simply pay to make the lawsuit go away. GeoCV was motivated by a large, lump-sum payment to help make its investors and founders as whole as possible for their combined $2.5 million investment. I could imagine that the Matterport payment was at least $1 million and justified by slowing up potential competitors.

I could also imagine that GeoCV Co-Founder and CEO Anton Yakubenko would only agree to a settlement with Matterport if it included GeoCV continuing to service its existing accounts. (My sense is that Anton cares deeply about his early adaptor customers.)

What are your thoughts on what likely happened that Matterport and GeoCV reached a settlement?

Keep in mind that Matterport told me in an email response that they do not comment on litigation and I have not heard back from GeoCV. My commentary above is solely me speculating of what might have happened: not necessarily what actually did happen.

Best,

Dan

WGAN Related Discussions

Matterport and GeoCV Reach Settlement in Two-Year Matterport Lawsuit
Lawsuit: Matterport, Inc. versus GeoCV, Inc. - All Legal Documents
[BREAKING] GeoCV team joins Occipital
Transcript: WGAN-TV: MSPs' Class Action Lawsuits Against Matterport, Inc.
✓ All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: GeoCV
Transcript: WGAN-TV GeoCV FAQs with GeoCV Co-Founder & CEO Anton Yakubenko
10 Reasons Matterport will acquire GeoCV
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Looks like I missed on this prediction made two years ago:

10 Reasons Matterport will acquire GeoCV

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Skeeter private msg quote post Address this user
That's just sad🙁. I did like what they had to offer (you could host and own your models). We will see where all this goes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Matterport vs GeoCV Lawsuit FINAL DECISION – What do we do next | Video courtesy of Rafael A. Renteria YouTube Channel | 7 December 2020
Post 4 IP   flag post
101636 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?