Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
iPhone 12LidarNews

Pocket-lint: What is LIDAR and why is it in the iPhone 12 Pro?13327

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Pocket-lint (13 October 2020) What is LIDAR and why is it in the iPhone 12 Pro?

"Ultimately, the LIDAR scanner features in the iPhone 12 Pro series and latest iPad Pro models to enhance the accuracy of distance and measurement - something that's renowned for being not especially accurate using just camera sensors alone," reports Pocket-lint. "... enabling it to generate a 3D model with greater accuracy than just a simple camera ever could."

"Apple's LIDAR scanner is said to be able to scan objects up to 5 metres away [16 feet]. As the laser works at a photon level, it's able to function night or day, inside or out," reports Pocket-lint.

Source: Pocket-lint

Your thoughts?

(I could imagine that Matterport will integrate scan data with Matterport Capture iOS app.)

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod, it's all very exciting. To answer a question on your other thread. I'm salivating over this phone, but I just purchased the 2020 iPad Pro which has the same Lidar tech (not the same chip). This purchase is at least a year off!

But yes, it's a game changer for the iPhone. I saw a FaceBook post calling the new phone a "money grab". The author didn't understand that this is a serious upgrade---it looks like for the same price as the most recent iPhone pro?

It also appeals to my nerdy geek who can't wait to see what 3D mapping and obj apps are developed now. Can you imagine scanning a table object then getting a 3D render? All on your phone?
Post 2 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Mentioned in a previous thread, check out Pix4D Catch: clickable text

Announced, available on IOS App Store, Free.
Post 3 IP   flag post
101429 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?