Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DSLRFullFrameLensPro2

Camera lens to use for real estate photography13158

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
My primary function is that of a 3D virtual tour photographer. however I don't have a DSLR or full-frame camera but my question today is about lenses to use best for Real estate photography.

from my understanding I should be looking at a 13 to 16 mm lens??!

As a Matterport Pro2 3D user, it's been my primary source of images, and it's just that time that I step up my game.

What lens should I be looking at? I might also want to start creating panoramas from my future camera, and what lens should I be looking at?

By the way thank you Dan Smigrod for your help in your gallery of items to purchase, you did a fantastic job curating a ton of great products, however I need a little bit of close guidance on this one.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
My Sony a6400 I use a 10-18mm

Our Panasonic’s we use the 7-14mm

My Sony a6400 is my daily for stills these days
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@lilnitsch so what am I getting at the very low spectrum of that millimeter range?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
A wider view point ideally you wan a quality rectilinear lens which keeps lines tidy and straight
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
For the most part anything can be fixed in post but, if you can get it right out of the camera it will save you a whole lot of time
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I have yet to graduate to a Full Frame sensor yet
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Greenville, South Carolina
8643d private msg quote post Address this user
I use a 10mm-16mm on my crop sensor which gives me 16mm-25.6mm to work with.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I'm canon user. I hear and see a ton of great things on Sony A6400 & A7III (especially for video). Don't let the word crop sensor being a cheaper camera get to you. All about the photographer skill. A 12-18mm should be fine on a crop sensor camera. I've had some wall lines bulge at 11 and below. 8" fisheye lens is good for 360's later if you want to stitch images together. If you go full frame your glass would usually be around an 18mm plus. Could widen down to 15mm. Might want a kit lens(16–50mm) that's sold with Sony for some community shots if you need to focus in and hide some kids or focus in on a jungle gym or walking path.

I dunno how you last this long with all the sun spray my Matterport exterior shots have been getting.

Compare
Full Frame VS APS-C Crop Cameras (Sony A7II vs A6400)
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@VTLV

Agreed

Even a budget a6000 series would be a great inexpensive stills camera

My first recommendation is always do the best with what you got where you’re at. Then, just continue to learn and expand your skillset
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
Nikon D750 Full Frame with the 14-24mm lens - using this set up for YEARS - yields beautiful photos imo

Now that there is a newer version of this camera - you can find the D750'S for great prices - even new, but esp used.
Post 10 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
I came from canon 1Dx’s to Fuji and could not be happier.

https://pickchuck.smugmug.com/Real-Estate

I shoot an 8-16 Fuji Zoom on A Fuji X H1. Prior to that lens I had a Fuji 10-25 and traded it. I Actually miss that lens. It might have been that perfect lens at a good price point. The 8-16mm is pretty pricey.

I tend to shoot at an effective 21 mm (14mm on APS-C). So with that said a prime at 21mm FF or 14mm APS-C might be a good choice.

I see so many photographers shoot too wide and it looks artificial.

Chuck
Post 11 IP   flag post
Lambda_Photography private msg quote post Address this user
I'm probably one of the odd ones out here, but I shoot a Canon EOS R with 16-35mm lens.
For 360, I use the Canon EF 8-15mm fish eye
Post 12 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
I'm totally in sync with Lambda_Photography: Canon EOS R but I use a Tokina 16-24mm; Rokinon 12mm fisheye for 360. Fujifilm X-T20 with Samyang 8mm; Fujinon 18-35mm for video (the video on this camera is superior to the Canon).
Post 13 IP   flag post
Eladitems private msg quote post Address this user
16-35mm is the only lens you need.
Make sure to shoot full frame
Post 14 IP   flag post
Virtual_Homey private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Jeff and use a 10-18mm lens.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Agree w Pixelray. The full frame D750 coupled with one of the best wide angle zooms ever made ( the Nikkor 14-24 mm ) is about unbeatable for quality and versatility.

Keith
Post 16 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
A couple practical questions:

What's your budget? Total. For body and lens?

How do you OK with clean used stuff, or do you feel better paying more and buying new?
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@Expertise used is not out of the question. Up to $1500
Post 18 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
Earlier in this thread some wanted to know how aps-c related to full frame.

Canon's APS-C sensors are a 1.6 crop factor
Fuji'x APS-C sensors are 1.5 crop factor
Sony's APS-C sensors are 1.5 crop factor
Pentax APS-C Sensors are 1.5 crop factor
Panasonic APS-C Sensors are 1.5 crop factor

Lens mm X crop factor = effective lens mm

Post 19 IP   flag post
I'd go with the Sony A7ii new (sells now for $900). An excellent full frame camera. Pick up a used Sony 10-18 lens used for around $500. Great lens. Set it up to shoot brackets of 5 at 2 stops apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETMYVR
@Expertise used is not out of the question. Up to $1500
Post 20 IP   flag post
if you like canon, I'd go refurbished 80D for $920 and a 10-22 for $400. The Canon refurbished stuff has warranty and Canon is easy to learn on.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
Do any of you use a light meter? Is it a requirement? And if you do, how does it benefit my images.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
On-board light meter only, and that as a guide only. I shoot ambient HDR, so it’s not critical to be super-exact.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Bennett private msg quote post Address this user
I use a Nikon Z6 with a 14-24mm F2.8 lens.
Post 24 IP   flag post
RealtyMediaMx private msg quote post Address this user
For Real Estate business the Tilt Shift lenses are the best the and only lenses to go for serious photographers, the results are amazing and the payoff are better too. I personally use the Canon 17MM TS with a 5D MIII and I'm getting a 24MM TS soon.
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@RealtyMediaMx I read about the tilt lens and saw them at some online stores, however the consensus above the articles I digested said tilt is not required, but why tilt vs no tilt in your opinion?
Post 26 IP   flag post
@GETMYVR TSL works bending the light from the object, in our case we often don't have enough front yard or curbside distance to shot a building in the middle of downtown.
TSL solves that, you can shot from just a few feet of the front and get the whole building with no distortion or bend lines, it also makes panoramas a breeze to shot by tilting from one side to the other, in the interiors it shines by maintaining the horizontals and verticals lines with a more correct and natural lines.
Tilt shift lenses are like made exactly and specially for us.
On the other hand they are a very specific lens, if you want to shot portrait or sports... well is not for that. Many people thinks that the cost of this lens is too much because of their specific use, but if you are a Real Estate Photographer it's a must.
Cheers.
PD: Remember that many photographers are getting into more niche specific type of shots, Real Estate is the same, if you want to shine in the business you have to equip yourself.
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@RealtyMediaMx something to consider based on what you just told me. Where I live too there is a lot of properties that are kind of close to the sidewalk and there are trees in between the sidewalk and the road so you can't really take a picture of the front of the property on the street because then you'd get a tree... So maybe this would solve that issue for me & others.

I'm liking the Sony.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@GETMYVR With the Sony you can use a "powered" Metabones adaptor and a Canon TS lens, works like a charm. You may want to take a look on the Rogeti TSE Frame for the TSL. Cheers
Post 29 IP   flag post
TS lens for a newbie with a $1500 budget? Lol, no.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101436 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?