Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Art GalleriesPro2Scanning

Advice for scanning art galleries13063

tinsoldier private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I have a few art gallery scans coming up and just wanted to reach out and ask if anybody could provide their experiences and perhaps any tips and tricks they have picked up along the way which have helped them achieve good gallery scans. I'm going to do a test run before the proper scan, but nonetheless thought any advice would be helpful. Will be scanning on a Pro 2, likely about 150 or so pictures across a few rooms on a day when there will be no visitors. Many thanks in advance
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@tinsoldier

I have had success in envisioning the Matterport as a set of human eyes, and adjusting the tripod to a height where human eyes would be viewing the object, painting, etc. I've done some recently where I've scanned the room first (filling in the areas where there was no art), then concentrating on each piece on display and trying to get a good scan that highlights just that piece. You may have to play with the distance of the camera from the art piece (as a function of its size). Don't be afraid to try multiple scans and delete any ones that are not optimal.

Also, if you have a chance to scope out the room in advance, beware of spotlights, since they can cast a wicked shadow of the camera and tripod in most unwanted places!

Good Luck!!

Keith
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
Seattle
kjoman private msg quote post Address this user
I did a gallery a few weeks ago and, like Chemistrydoc said, human eye height. I placed the camera between 1-2 pieces, generally and afterwards I made mattertags for each piece.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoman
I did a gallery a few weeks ago and, like Chemistrydoc said, human eye height. I placed the camera between 1-2 pieces, generally and afterwards I made mattertags for each piece.

That is great work @kjoman, did you take extra scans which you hid to help get a better mesh? The mesh is quite good.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
Here is an art gallery we did a couple years ago.
clickable text
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@tinsoldier

While this is a museum, it's like an art gallery for annotation.

1. Get about 4 feet away from EACH piece of artwork since you will likely be adding a MatterTag.
2. Take a smartphone photo of EACH description AND artwork. This will help during tagging
3. Glass display cases can be challenging
4. Can you do a MatterTag with a photo of each piece of artwork? Perhaps the gallery already has these photos?

Please do share one or more of your art galleries, once done.

Good luck!

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
Seattle
kjoman private msg quote post Address this user
@tinsoldier I did do a few extra scans but not many. I think the layout was pretty conducive for scanning. And as Dan mentioned, I was about 4’ away and ran around afterwards taking cellphone photos of the artwork and descriptions. The gallery also sent me an excel spreadsheet which I was able to use for copying and pasting for the mattertags.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@kjoman

If you have hundreds of MatterTags in a spreadsheet:

✓ Free Course: WGAN-TV Training U | Automating Exporting and Importing Matterport MatterTags

Uses Include: Museums | Art Galleries | Online Store | iAuditor Property Documentation Mashup | Integration with MP/embed and WP3D Models WordPress Plugin

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
This is all excellent advice, thanks everybody. Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Take a smartphone photo of EACH description AND artwork.
This is a great idea @DanSmigrod

Another question I have about this project you may be able to advise:
There will likely be over a hundred mattertags in this final scan.
What happens if the client comes back down the track and wants me to trim something, or adjust the model?
Then I have to go back to the ipad and apply adjustments and re-upload, so from what I can see I am forced into creating a new model and losing all my tags?? Is this the case or is there a workaround to either update the existing model OR import tags from the earlier model?
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier
This is all excellent advice, thanks everybody. Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Take a smartphone photo of EACH description AND artwork.
This is a great idea @DanSmigrod

Another question I have is, there will likely be over a hundred mattertags in this final scan.
What happens if the client comes back down the track and wants me to trim something, or adjust the model?
Then I have to go back to the ipad and apply adjustments and re-upload, so from what I can see I am forced into creating a new model and losing all my tags?? Is this the case or is there a workaround to either update the existing model OR import tags from the earlier model?

@tinsoldier

That problem - move all MatterTags to a replacement model - is addressed in the free course.

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
101636 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?