Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECConstructionPro2Question of the DayScanning

Question of the Day>Pro2 to scan 5,000 SQ FT an hour of construction site?13013

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport Pro2 3D Camera -- AEC Reality Capture Solution | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 9 September 2020

Screen Grab from Matterport marketing video above.

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Wednesday, 9 September 2020) is:

Using a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera - and a fast iPad - have you successfully scanned 5,000 SQ FT an hour of a construction site?

I ask because this Matterport marketing video (above) released today says so.

"... the Pro2 can capture up to 5,000 SQ FT an hour: depending on your environment."

What's your fastest scanning per hour of a construction site with the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera?

Best,

Dan

Transcript (video above)

- Architects, engineers, and construction professionals are always on the hunt for new tools that'll deliver better results. They look for ways to easily capture, analyze, and distribute information in real-time to allow for better decisions. Introducing the Matterport Pro2 Camera, the revolutionary reality capture solution for the AEC Industry.

The Pro2 captures 2D photography and 3D data from real job sites, and automatically stitches them into a complete immersive 3D model. Now you can share and annotate your spaces, the sleek design of the Pro2 boasts a light weight of only 7.6 pounds.

A fully charged battery lasts a full eight hours. Feel confident in the reliability of automatic registration and accuracy to within 1% of reality.

Modeling with Matterport's reality capture system is faster than taking measurements manually. Because the Pro2 captures 100% of the environment, measurements are never missed. The user interface on the Capture App enables anyone to create 3D scans with minimal training. Here's how it works.

One, scan your job site. With a scan time of 30 seconds per rotation, the Pro2 can capture up to 5,000 square feet an hour, depending on your environment. Two, upload your data. With one click, upload your data to the Cloud. Our powerful software automatically aligns and stitches your 2D and 3D data.

Three, annotate, measure, distribute. Easily take measurements, tag areas with more information and share a link to all stakeholders. Four, export your 3D data as a Point Cloud.

Import the Point Cloud into any CAD program and use that data plus the amazing visuals from the 3D showcase to create your BIM. Working with immersive media and collaborating to create value in a built environment has never been easier with Matterport's reality capture solution.

With Matterport, it's now possible to quickly and cost effectively capture data for as-built designs in small complex spaces or buildings with no drawings. Compared to manual measurements, the Pro2 saves you both time and money by reducing the total rework involved in a project.

With a few quick scans, Matterport gives you everything you need for milestone documentation. with 2D photography and 3D data, Matterport's spaces are the best way to keep track of key project milestones and immediately assess project status.

Complex engineering projects require days of time-consuming modeling from manual measurements notes, and photographs. Now, with Matterport, you can simply scan, download a Point Cloud, and import it into your BIM software as a highly contextual template to model existing conditions.

When you're ready to wrap up the project, you can collect all your Matterport files into a complete turnover package for the building owner.

And remember, you're not just delivering files, you're delivering comprehensive validation of your work, with an interactive walk through of finished conditions Matterport is more than just a 3D scanner, it's an end-to-end site visualization and communication tool that's changing the way buildings are designed, built, and maintained.

Matterport is your partner in achieving your most important goals. Matterport.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
This time estimate is based on unrealistic math ~ They are coming up with this scan time based on 30 seconds per scan position

When I was down in Sunnyvale last year I told them they really need to get out in the field and do some "Real World" scanning.

I always quote about 30-45 minutes per 1,000 SqFt some spaces go quicker while others can take longer depending on the space and wether or not you have people and/or pets on site that you are working around
Post 2 IP   flag post
Brooklyn, NY
Oboldyrev private msg quote post Address this user
It can easily be done if the space is open and not many turns. Realistically an open space can be scanned even faster while maintaining correct coverage and outstanding quality dollhouse.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I've done approximately 3,500 SqFt internal space plus patio which I captured with the Z1 in about an hour the internal space was shot on the Pro2. Once again each space will be a variable while I agree with you @Oboldyrev ~ if it is a clean simple open space this is really feasible ~ those just do not seem to be the real life scenarios I see on a regular basis in the field.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
It depends on the scan density and how "ready" the space is.

A completely open floor might be 4 hours for 27.5K s/f.

A cluttered built out space with obstacles and issues (locked doors, power not on in places) might be more along the lines of 6 to 7 hours for the same s/f in the same building.

Depending on if the app is in a "good mood" this update, you may or may not need to put April Tags everywhere. I set the expectation that you will because it's easier to not have them then it is to go explain that the app/camera aren't working nice with this client's space and it needs bar codes for alignment assistance.

Commercial spaces frequently have more repetitive architecture issues which consume vast amounts of time to rework or sort out.

So yea maybe... but I wouldn't set that expectation in public too often. Not for top notch work.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@briangreul

Agreed... under promise, and over deliver
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Oboldyrev
@lilnitsch
@briangreul

Thanks for sharing.

Seems like while it may be possible to scan an open commercial space at the rate of 5,000 SQ FT in an hour, I wonder if this is the exception rather than the norm: particularly for the space that Matterport shows when they make the claim of 5,000 SQ FT an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @lilnitsch
@briangreul

Agreed... under promise, and over deliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by @briangreul
A completely open floor might be 4 hours for 27.5K s/f.

A cluttered built out space with obstacles and issues (locked doors, power not on in places) might be more along the lines of 6 to 7 hours for the same s/f in the same building.

I wish Matterport would provide a real-time video of 5,000 SQ FT shot in an hour using a Pro2 so that we can see the kind of space and the density of the scans.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101640 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?