Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,024 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 46 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AsteroomMatterportVersus

Asteroom vs Matterport12918

WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
A quick side by side comparison

The Asteroom tour was recycled Z1 Panos while the Matterport tour was shot on the Pro2

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion, Matterport still wins...hands down.
Post 2 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure how anyone could claim a winner on anything with out stated criteria

- Pixel peeping
- Speed
- Cost of hosting
- Upkeep of product
- Company funding
- Yearly cost
- Stability of company
- etc, etc, etc.

My bottom line is how my customer perceives them and how much money I can make.

Chuck

P.S. As far as sharpening and noise, I am having luck with Gigapixel on my Z1. I need to get a code so I can get 40% of purchases every time someone buys it. LOL
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Asteroom also really needs a similar publish to Realtor.com option (I doubt they will ever get a Zillow integration)

Having some syndication partners for getting the tours out there would go a long way

All of my photo shoots now have some sort of VR wether it be Zillow or Zillow & Matterport
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone asked their client - a realtor what tour they would prefer? I think at this point we can offer clients a portfolio of products.

if somebody can make more money than me shooting an asteroom with an iPhone while I'm still using that Pro2 and a longer workflow, great ... At the end of the day I know that matter part is the king of the jungle.

And I'll probably give Asteroom a test drive.

The most important question I'd have as a realtor, is which virtual tour gives my potential client the very best simulation of the actual space so they can go through it and explore it at their pace and not miss anything.

That will tell you which virtual tour is the best one. Not really a particular brand.
A
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@GETMYVR

Zillow & Realtor.com placement are huge deals for me as most of my agents are wanting this front and center placement of the VR tours
Post 6 IP   flag post
GETMYVR,

Are you Matterport tours a different price than your Theta Z1 / Asteroom tour?

Quality / Service / Price

Pick any two.

Chuck
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Asteroom should add the ability to copy a branded link for the tour and an unbranded or MLS compliant tour link

Post 8 IP   flag post
San Francisco
EricTsai private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @lilnitsch

Thanks for giving Asteroom a try. It's an awesome comparison between Asteroom and MP.

In terms of integration - I agree with you. It's definitely on our to-do list.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
Do you guys price photos and price virtual tours as 2 services, or bundle?
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @GETMYVR
The most important question I'd have as a realtor, is which virtual tour gives my potential client the very best simulation of the actual space so they can go through it and explore it at their pace and not miss anything.

Respectfully, I disagree.

The most important question by a prospective real estate agent client is, "Will this 24/7 Open House Virtual Tour enable me to win more and bigger premium listings more often."

For your client - the one that spends money with you - not the house-buying prospect - it is all about winning the next listing presentation. Getting the listing ...

It's likely that most agents do not care about: "...gives my potential client the very best simulation of the actual space so they can go through it and explore it at their pace and not miss anything."

Photographers must focus on helping the agent make more money. (And incremental increase in the selling price does NOT count because the number is so small - that the agent receives - that it may be less than the 24/7 Open House Virtual Tour.

If you hear from an agent, "The house will sell regardless," that's the BIG CLUE that you have not focused on how the tour of THIS house is all about winning future listing presentations: not selling this house! You can tell them that the house will sell without the tour!

Your (or others) additional thoughts on this topic?

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@DanSmigrod I 100% agree with that and should have added what you said after what I wrote! Kind of goes without saying right.

my number one mantra is how virtual tours are going to make the agent more money, captivate new and higher end listings, in fact I try to help the agents not only be the listing agent but also the selling agent so they can pocket the whole commission. My recent surge in referral business stem pretty much from what you been professing Dan. So yes it works!
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
I noticed in some of the sample asterroom tours, The panorama is in the center of a small room... Actually making it difficult to get a proper perspective in my opinion of that room. If anyone is using Asteroom, how are you addressing / scanning small spaces in a dwelling? I think the single view per room sometimes not enough to represent the space. What say you?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Dan,

Great insight and completely agree.

I tell my agents that my photography helps to sell the listing quicker. I also convince them not to put up a iPhone photo just to have the listing up as I believe that customers will only go to a listing one time if the photography is bad.

I also kid around and say that just my positive presence helps it sell faster.

I had an agent where her homes were constantly selling before she got my photos back (I deliver within 24 hours). I didn't hear from her for a couple of months. She came back to me with an apology saying at first I quit getting photos at all and then I tried another photographer for 3 listings and those are still not sold. Would you please go and photograph them for me and put whatever Voodoo you do on them?

All three sold in a week.

Photographic Sea Story? Who knows. It's still a good story

Chuck
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I agree Dan...it's all about winning future listings. That's why, in my opinion, quality is #1.

To me, not much else matters if the quality isn't there. My clients are used to the quality and ease of use Matterport delivers.

I am always looking for the next best thing, but I still haven't seen anything else out there that can compete with the Pro2 camera. The majority of the competitors quality is tied to smart phones or consumer 360 camera. Even the Z1 isn't up to par as far as I can tell. Why would I offer any client a lower quality product...at any price?

Love them or hate them Matterport is still #1, IMHO
Post 15 IP   flag post
jwaltphotography private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is great you did a comparison, however, the scientist in me feels we are comparing the wrong items. The biggest factor we have to ask isn't:

"How do the two technologies compare to each other in our eyes?"

We should be asking:

"What technology will offer the best outcome for my client?"

If we ask it this way, we can include factors that aren't as obvious from the surface. Such as the following:

Time: We as photographers can shoot 3 properties with Asteroom in the time it takes to do one with Matterport. This allows us to use less of the sellers time and the agents times, as well as maxmizing our output.

Quality: We are photographers, some say artists, we are picky by trade. We will zoom to pixel peep, but your average home buyer will not. So while MP may out shoot a Insta360 One X, it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, the end user will never be able to tell a difference.

Price: If we are getting near identical results, why in the world would you spend $3000-$4000 on a camera that you can't even use outside of their platform? I use my Insta 360 Onex for fun photos, random 360's on other projects, and , as an educator, I can use it as a 360 video for students to keep them engaged while we are learning remotely. I would much rather price my models accordingly and not have that $4000 brick looming over my head. God forbid you ever have to replace it due to random mechanical failure.

Overall, we have to stop looking at comparisons from the perspective of photographers and start looking at what will benefit out customers in terms of a balance of time, quality, and price.
Post 16 IP   flag post
homefinders3d private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I couldn't agree more. The luxury property agents that I speak to both as an agent and a tour creator, see a virtual tour as a means to close the deal on a listing presentation.

Matterport knows that, look at their marketing videos that show agents/brokers discussing the merits of showing a tour at a listing presentation.

That is the reason the name Matterport matters. Agents use the brand value of Matterport as a tool to secure a listing. I am not saying that you can only sell MP, that has already been proven not to be true.

I think you will find most agents aren't looking for an "artist" when hiring someone for the average property. Personally, at $60 a tour I don't see it working for me, but I will try it. IMO the days of $4k cameras are being disrupted by "Uber tours" I know my market area has lots of NEW tour providers offering sub $100 tours to agents.

This is a "kodak moment": change with the market or file chapter 11. I've been experimenting with 3DVista's demo. Yesterday I had an agent that I don't know call me from a boutique brokerage and ask me if I could do a tour of a listing she is trying to secure.

A large Waterfront property on the Gulf. Then she told me that she would like the tour to include the outside. Next, she told me that it had a long private dock and that she envisioned the tour including drone shots of the dock etc..

First thing I thought of was 3dVista and the transcript featuring @Home3D. $500 one time purchase, superb options and I can self-host for a few bucks a month. All of that means that I can create a tour, host it and sell it at a competitive price.

As the market becomes more competitive and the tour prices continue to drop I can be competitive. I actually enjoy using the MP and love the final product, but their cloud hosting plans make it hard to be competitive. When I do the cost analysis of all the various platforms such as MP, Asterroom, Eyespy360 etc., it will be difficult to really find a price-point that sells and is profitable for me.
Post 17 IP   flag post
At the risk of everyone bitching at me for low prices,I am doing the following and I have Showcase and Real 3D space as well as a host of other startups and sales companies pushing the prices down and down.

Pricing based on Size of the home and Package – Paid AFTER the home sells.

Square Foot 999 1,000 2,000 3,000 4,000
1,999 2,999 3,999 4,999

Silver $99 $199 $299 $399 $499
- HDR Stills
- 360 VR Tour

Bronze $149 $249 $349 $449 $549
- HDR Stills
- 360 VR Tour
- Virtual Model

Gold $199 $299 $399 $499 $599
- HDR Stills
- 360 VR Tour
- Virtual Model
- Floor Plans

Platinum $249 $349 $449 $549 $649
- HDR Stills
- 360 VR Tour
- Virtual Model
- Floor Plans
- Drone Stills

Add Zillow 360 VR Tour at the time of the shoot for $99.

Add an environmental Head Shot at the time of the photoshoot for $99. Add a formal Studio Head Shot for $99, Add Both for $149. These are taken on site at the home. Please bring a couple of clothing changes. Allow 1-hour additional time.

-----
Note: I don't do too many on site head shots. Having it in my pricing just keeps them from getting a "quick free one".

I target that $349 - $399 area + the Zillow shoot = $449 - $499 shoot price.

I am in a position that I can wait on the money, not everyone can. Homes here are selling in less than 30 days. When I was an adverting commercial photographer my invoices didn't even get looked at until they were late 90 days. LOL

Cheers,
Chuck

BTW, I just looked at the preview and I apologize that the prices run into each other but I hope you can get the jest.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@PickChuck

Geography and Market will also have an effect on Pricing ~ In the Pacific Northwest I will not be able to charge the same as what folks in the Hollywood Hills get

My pricing is kinda "middle of the road" for my market & I do not publish pricing on my website. Most of my business is contract or by referral only
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETMYVR
Do you guys price photos and price virtual tours as 2 services, or bundle?

I bundle Zillow's 3D home tour with all photo packages (with exception of Vacant Land ~ I use cloudpano for Vacant Land) Matterport is additional based on SqFt
Post 20 IP   flag post
I think there is a bit too much x vs x. They are just tools. One may have a place over another in a particular situation.

We all struggle with Realtors taking their own photos sometimes. Either they are broke, splitting the commission, cheap or not educated on the value of what we bring to the table.

I am all about bringing more value to them,

Here is something that was on the Zillow site. I found it interesting. Looks to me to be a window of opportunity.

Post 21 IP   flag post
I am bundling an Asteroom with my tours as my agents put the 360's on multiple sites and just starting up selling Zillow tours.

I'll keep track of my agents responses.

I see both ways can work.

Chuck
Post 22 IP   flag post
thephilm private msg quote post Address this user
Most of my realtor clients are looking for "dollhouse" with their tours, and they want it for the best price, and quickest possible.
Matterport costs me more both in terms of time to shoot, and overall cost.
Asteroom is the more economical choice and provides a similar result.
In the end, I can shoot Asteroom in about 10 minutes for an under 3k sqft home and the front and backyards. I can also shoot the home with my 3d camera and build it later at home, I don't even need to use the app.

I've had a few requests for "matterport" but it's almost gotten to asking for a kleenex, the agents just want a tour.
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@thephilm

While I agree it will also depend on what kind of account you have. I currently prefer the Cadillac “Matterport” but, I am also on a classic plan that is no longer available.
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
Can the numbers associated with the panoramas as seen in the initial post on this thread be replaced with actual room names? This would sharpen the appeal I think.
Post 25 IP   flag post
San Francisco
EricTsai private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @GETMYVR

Yes. Users are asked to select the name of the pano from the prepopulated list in our app. I think @lilnitsh uploaded the panos from the camera directly. In this case, users can change the name of the panos using Asteroom's web-editor, which Dan and I will do a deep dive together next Thursday!

-Eric
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@GETMYVR As Eric mentioned they can indeed ~ I just through together the one above between jobs.
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @EricTsai
Hi @GETMYVR

Yes. Users are asked to select the name of the pano from the prepopulated list in our app. I think @lilnitsh uploaded the panos from the camera directly. In this case, users can change the name of the panos using Asteroom's web-editor, which Dan and I will do a deep dive together next Thursday!

-Eric

WGAN-TV Live at 5: Deep-Dive Demo of Asteroom Desktop Editor Features

That's 5 pm EDT (UTC/GMT -4) Thursday, 10 September 2020

Dan
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickChuck
Pricing based on Size of the home and Package – Paid AFTER the home sells.

What if the home does not sell?

Dan
Post 29 IP   flag post
I do not charge them anything. I have had this happen a few times and it really has bonded me to the realtors.

I had one that told my competition that she wouldn't change from me if they paid her $500 per shoot.

Chuck
Post 30 IP   flag post
101274 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?