Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MonopodRicoh Theta Z1TipsTripodVersus

Cheap alternative for ricoh theta monopod?12879

Rusty private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

Did somebody try a microphone stand with a 3/8 to 1/8 convertor screw for a ricoh theta? It looks like it has a perfect working height and seems way more stable than the 250 euro ricoh monopod, costs about 30 euros. A dumbell disc is easily fixed underneath and makes it even more stable.

Cheers
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Are you using this for hobby or professionally? I personally like the ifootage cobra 2 as it has a professional build and look and works well on uneven surfaces and stairs. The foot has a ball for easy eye leveling and also has a quick release which makes adding plate weights for exterior shooting really easy as well.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Letsshoot private msg quote post Address this user
@Rusty I haven't tried a microphone stand, but they would tend to have a bigger footprint than a monopod so you would have more editing work to remove out the feet in each photo. If the microphone pole is wider than the diameter of the Theta V you will see it as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Rusty

Any of these tripods helpful (from a related WGAN Forum discussion):

9 Tripods/Monopods to Consider for Your 360º 1-Click Camera

Any missing from this list (link above) that I should add for future searches?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
I use a microphone stand, as a wanttobe musician, I have almost as many of those as I do monopods and light stands. The one I am using has a base just shy of 10". I also have a very small ballhead to use to level but really haven't been using it as the floors are flat where I am shooting, so I leave it off most of the time

The pole is smaller than any monopods I have seen.

I have been using the Touch / Retouch on my phone to take care of the Nador and it works fine.

Chuck
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rusty private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitch: the AIM is to use it professionally. Your setup looks quite wide at the top, I was hesitating a monopod like this would be visible in the pictures. I have a microphone stand that is about 1/2 inch wide with a heavy base.

@letsshoot, if you look at lilnitch's monopod on the photo, it looks wider no? Hou have a point, although a lot of monopods sold are a little wider at the top. What do you use?

@DanSmigrod, there are other B brands available but nothing relevant for your list I guess..

@PickChuck, thanks. I'll dig deeper into this cheap alternative!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I used a Neewer monopod which I believe I bought for about $50 on ebay brand new
After some time I decided to use my manfrotto tripod without extending any legs . I screw a pole form the neewer monopod to it and I get super steady solution

Here is what it looks like https://www.facebook.com/Decoroo/posts/3597588183614871
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Rusty

As far a a nadir left when using the iFootage Cobra 2 it not that bad and is easily edited out of the panos in photoshop or even on a mobile device with an app like touch retouch

If using Matterport as a tour provider it is not visible as Matterport blurs out this section below the camera

Post 8 IP   flag post
Letsshoot private msg quote post Address this user
@Rusty. Sorry for not getting back sooner (you probably have sourced a monopod at this stage!)

This is what I have used indoors to-date, bought in Amazon UK:

1) Manfrotto Compact Xtreme 2-in-1 Monopod Pole

2)Manfrotto MTPIXI-B, PIXI Mini Tripod with Handgrip for Compact System Cameras, DSLR, Mirrorless, Video, Compact Size, Technopolymer and Aluminium, Black

3) New 2x Metal 1/4" UNC Through Hole 20mm Camera Switch Adapter 1/4 Female To 1/4 Female Screw, Suitable For Camera Accessories, Electric Guide, Strange Hand, Lamp Frame, Tripod, Etc

This was recommended as a budget option for a monopod in Ben Claremont's course . It is very light and it would be advisable to secure with weights. I haven't used it outside but would imagine I would have to use sandbags/use my tripod/ or hold the monopod over my head.

Siobhan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
We use cheap Amazon tripods with extenders from 360 ONE X.

$25 Tripod

They double as flash stands too.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Tjawi private msg quote post Address this user
Carbon fiber monopod. I tried ordering it from China and it is actually great! It took a while to arrive though, about 6 weeks.

The price is 51 USD (one complete set).

I hope it helps you guys.

US $18.19 41%OFF | Manbily C-333 Professional Carbon Fiber Portable Travel Monopod Bracket can Stand with Mini Tripod Base for Digital DSLR Camera
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKBGQj5
Post 11 IP   flag post
GWatsonImages private msg quote post Address this user
I use a cheaper light stand and keep the legs folded in in as much as they will go. My Theta Z1 screws right into the top and its very thin up there at the top so it isn't visible at all. And since I keep the stands legs folded in all the way but it's still very stable it has a relatively small footprint. Plus if I need to take a pic or scan from a much higher vantage point to get complete mesh detail or something, I have that option.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I'm using the chickenfoot monopod, but what I did is I reverse the fat end from the top to the bottom. This dramatically reduced my foot print when looking at the base. @lilnitsch I reversed my monopod as seen in your picture, reversed the fat end with the narrow end.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@GETMYVR

I use a bit of plate weights when needed for additional stability outdoors

Post 14 IP   flag post
101636 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?