Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3603D ShowcaseMetareal Stage

Metareal, the new competition?12865

WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
Ben Claremont thinks so...

Post 1 IP   flag post
DaK private msg quote post Address this user
Not a chance in my opinion. I just replied to this on someones facebook post as well. The video seems to make it seem so simple to just pay to have metareal make the model. I probably average about 70 scans per matterport to make smooth transitions and get the photos I need for the client and highlight reel. Do the math at $2-$4 per pano to have them do it for you. Doesn't seem like a real alternative for the dollhouse in my opinion. And doing it yourself in metareal is not very easy (I've tried) especially when you consider matterport does it automatically.

I would love a matterport alternative but I don't think this is really it. I'm waiting to see what 3D vista can do when they implement their 3D conversion technology.
Post 2 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
Very well done Ben. This world is expanding every day. So excited to learn more and more.

Chuck
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
And, I just received a message about using the Pro2 from a Metareal associate:

"No sorry, it's not a good camera for virtual tours since there is too much distance between the lenses means that objects within 2 meters don't stitch very well"

So...there's that
Post 4 IP   flag post
ahojman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK
Not a chance in my opinion. I just replied to this on someones facebook post as well. The video seems to make it seem so simple to just pay to have metareal make the model. I probably average about 70 scans per matterport to make smooth transitions and get the photos I need for the client and highlight reel. Do the math at $2-$4 per pano to have them do it for you. Doesn't seem like a real alternative for the dollhouse in my opinion. And doing it yourself in metareal is not very easy (I've tried) especially when you consider matterport does it automatically.

I would love a matterport alternative but I don't think this is really it. I'm waiting to see what 3D vista can do when they implement their 3D conversion technology.

Agree 100%. I did the same.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I am going to give both Metareal and Asteroom a go.

From what I am reading / watching etc. from both of their YouTube videos is that one doesn't have to do as many photos as we did for Google Trusted Shoots or Matterport scans. I want to see what Metareal's interface will do with Google Street View shoots.

I also need quick Real Estate 360'a to accompany my Stills and Drone work. I have been shooting the same as I do with my DSLR and pano head and it takes me way too long in shooting and workflow for what my market is willing to pay and as such I am trying the Theta z1.

I also stumbled onto Gigapixel AI. That looks at least initially promising on the Theta images.

All of this is time will tell and workflow for me.

Let's say it takes less scans: 3 bedroom house, kitchen, dining room, living room, 2 bathrooms, bonus room, some hallways to connect and a garage. Say 15 panos. $30-$60 depending on the plan. I might let them do it. That's at least a couple of hours of work for the post.

The less time I can be behind a computer and the more I can be behind a camera or on sales calls the better for me.

As, Tim Ferriss say's, do what you do best and outsource the rest.

Just some thoughts.

Chuck
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@PickChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickChuck
I also stumbled onto Gigapixel AI. That looks at least initially promising on the Theta images.

This related WGAN Forum discussion may be hepful:

Video: Instantly DOUBLE your image quality! Topaz Gigapixel AI Tutorial

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Let's look at this way...

Agents are your (primary) prospective customers.

Matterport has decent name recognition, maybe 80% of agents understand what Matterport is now. 8/10
Matterport has a great product. 10/10
Matterport is expensive. 5/10

Zillow has 100% name recognition. 10/10
Zillow has an OK product. 5/10
Zillow 3D is cheap. 8/10

Metareal has 0% name recognition. 0/10
Metareal has an OK product. 6/10
Metareal is not really cheap. 6/10
Post 8 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck selling the so-so product that no one has ever heard of.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Interesting take on that. Not saying you are wrong. Just a different perspective.

I rarely lead with my tools. They change with technology and age.

For me gone are the days of processing and printing E-6, C41 and Cibachrome prints. The days when my Cambo 4 x 5, Linholf Master Technica, Hasselblad's and Leicas were the tools of the trade. I used to fly Helicopters now I fly drones. Times change.

Personally I sell myself and not my tools, service provider or software I use.

I do my best to constantly evolve.
Post 10 IP   flag post
jimfelder private msg quote post Address this user
Hey there folks.

I am a currently Matterport subscriber. I found Metareal and signed up to check it out. So far I like what I am seeing. I am using a Theta Z1 on Matterport.

What are you thoughts on a plan to move from Matterport to Metareal. Since I currently have a lot of spaces hosted on Matterport, I need to leave those there and continue to pay hosting. Then start using Metareal for future spaces I scan. It seems obvious thata you can't transfer to use Matterport spaces on Metareal for more reasons than one.

Thanks in advance for some feedback.

Jim
Post 11 IP   flag post
101421 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?