Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcasePro2Question of the DayScanning

Two phases of the same space in Matterport in one Digital Twin12742

Virtual_Homey private msg quote post Address this user
I have a client who owns a gallery and would like to showcase the space between two phases of it. Once when it is entirely vacant without any art or design on the floor or wall, next when it has been fully refurnished with artworks.

Can Matterport handle the change in space and have the model hold both,in other words can I naviagte from one scan point where the gallery is empty to the next scan point where the angle is essentially the same but the room is full.

The procesz would be scanning the gallery twice in the same Matterport model. The first when it is empty then next weeks later when it is full.

I do not want sperate tours!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Virtual_Homey

This would be a good test and learn BEFORE you promise the client.

The hardest part will be getting the last scan of the first model to attached to the first scan of the new model. I would do the last scans outside the door of the gallery (hallway) so that the last scan space is identical to the first scan of the gallery (when it is empty or full). Then, hide these scans in dollhouse view.

Does that make sense?

The good news is if the above does not work, you just do the gallery again with a second model.

Hi All,

Other thoughts on this challenge/opportunity?

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks Dan, that is a great suggestion and I'll be sure to integrate something like this in.

I don't want separate models, the idea is to see the change in the space in one tour.

I have a backup plan by creating a virtual tour with my dslr and a virtual host.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Virtual_Homey

If you successfully accomplish this: super-cool!

And, please share the results with the WGAN Community.

Good luck with your very-creative idea of displaying the before and after in the same tour.

By the way, if you did this with Asteroom, it would be super-easy. Shoot the tour twice, as planned. Then upload ALL 360s from the before and all the 360s from the after - into one Asteroom tour - and DONE!

Another option, if you do your project with Matterport, you could export all the 360s from both the before and after and then selectively decide which 360s to upload to Asteroom.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks again Dan, I'm definitely considering using Asteroom for this. Would the dollhouse view be able to support two views of the same space? I suppose I could ask them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Virtual_Homey

While best practices for creating an Asteroom tour is one 360 per space - for your use case, as I described - there would be no problem.

Before I fully understand the Asteroom workflow, I uploaded 73 scans from a Matterport Tour to create an Asteroom tour. It turned out, I could have just used 20 scans to achieve the same result (with a better walkaround experience.

In your case, you asking about can you do the 73 scan version - half before and half after - so you can see here that it works.

This Matterport tour has 73 scans and shot with a Matterport Pro1 3D Camera.
This Asteroom tour (above) has 20 scans (created from the same scans in the Matterport tour).

(So, while the 73 scans work fine, the 20 scan version would have been faster to shoot and cost less to process.)

Does that help answer your question?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
I understand the need for less scans, it's a question of whether or not a dollhouse will support both stages of the space, scan points with a full gallery and scan points with bare bones.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Virtual_Homey

Yes. I apologize for not making that clear.

Asteroom will (easily) create a 3D Dollhouse with BOTH before and after 360s in the SAME tour.

While the Matterport project as describe above - may or may not be successful - the Matterport 360s from both the BEFORE and AFTER can be exported to successfully create an Asteroom virtual tour and dollhouse. Do write down the measure from the floor to the center of the Matterport camera lens. That will be helpful if you end up wanting measurements to show up in the Asteroom tour and for ordering floor plans.

Please do keep us posted on which tactics you decide to use and the results.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Virtual_Homey,

If you visit this tour we visit Main Hall, Left Hall, and Right Hall in the navigation.

This is the same floor either as one big space or sub-divided.

If you go to Main Hall you will see the dividing wall appear and disappear in different scans.

First I scanned the entire place open.

Then I closed the dividing wall and started scanning again in slightly different locations, starting furthest away from the dividing wall.

Kind regards

Oliver
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
PS I expect Dollhouse will show artworks in place, as it does the dividing wall.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Perfect this is precisely what I need to see, thank you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101422 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?