Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AsteroomBuyCamerasMarketingReal EstateTipsVersus

How Asteroom got me to switch from Matterport.12730

jwaltphotography private msg quote post Address this user

When I first started real estate photography, I knew I had to offer something that would add value to my clients' listings. It was evident quickly that photos alone wouldn't cut it. I did a google search and found the Matterport system. I knew it would take me to the next level, so I bought a system and subscribed. However, I quickly found out, like many others, that I was limited in my access to the images and the control over how things worked.

I started exploring other options. I found the Asteroom pano kit and figured I would give it a try. It was so affordable that I just thought there would be no harm in trying.

I received a package in the mail that had the pano kit that attached to my phone. I went out and shot with it. I liked it, but it wasn't entirely where I wanted to be. It turned out my phone quality was just inferior to Asteroom. I reached out to support at asteroom and learned that I could use other cameras with it. I purchased a 360 oneX camera to try a tour.

This is the moment I knew I would be canceling my Matterport subscription. While they serve their purpose, Asteroom offered a superior product and continues to grow.

I the year I have been using asteroom, they have updated the user interface to make shooting a breeze. I can shoot a 3,000 square foot house in 20 minutes. The matterport would have taken an hour minimum. I can get dollhouses, such as the one in the attached tour, and more.

If I am running short of time (almost always), I can have Asteroom professionally retouch my 360 sphere photos, so they look great. I can order a dollhouse, and it is ready quickly and looks perfect.

The process of setting up and maintaining my Asteroom account has been flawless. I am delighted I found this new provider. On top of shooting houses, I can even document historic buildings. Since I own the photos on the camera, I can make sure they are archived in the long run, unlike the competitor.

This platform is a must have for anyone that needs to show off spaces and have a simple user interface with a lot of great options.

My overall opinion of Asteroom is - I am glad to see someone stepping in and filling the gaps that we photographers desperately need.

Let me know what questions you have about the user side, and I will be happy to let you know my opinion.

Thanks,

Jonathon Walters, M.Ed, MBA
Jwalt Photography
Post 1 IP   flag post
Letsshoot private msg quote post Address this user
@Jonathan, thanks for the info, very helpful. I don't have a 360 camera yet so will keep in mind.

I am going to start off with my D750 and see how i get on before making any investment. Do any of these platforms provide any services of note to users without a 360 camera?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@jwaltphotography

Thank you for sharing your review of Asteroom.

I noticed in your tour (above), when I click on the floor plan icon in the lower left that you did not order the Asteroom 2D schematic floor plans. I was wondering why. Seems like that is an Add On that you could easily up-sell.

@Letsshoot

Asteroom + DSLR shot 360 photospheres (equi-rectangular jpg) = Asteroom virtual tour.

The trade off is your DSLR shot 360 photos spears are likely to be better than a Ricoh Theta Z1, BUT the workflow with a Ricoh Theta Z1 + Asteroom iOS/Android app will be much, much faster.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Thanks for that insight. Such is life there is always a trade off. It would be interesting to know if any of the forum members' clients have complained about the quality of the virtual tours using the smaller 360 cameras or is it the price point charged/turnaround speed deemed good enough quality?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Letsshoot

Speed versus Quality versus "Good Enough" - That is the question!

You might begin by searching WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Ricoh Theta Z1 to help answer the quality question. (e.g. Matterport Tours created with a Ricoh Theta Z1. I would also encourage you to visit the Asteroom Gallery for examples created with a Ricoh Theta Z1.

On the topic of "Good Enough" ... you may find these WGAN Forum discussions of interest:

Vision: to be the best real estate photographer or good enough?
When is "good enough" good enough (for you)?
Matterport Scan: Is Good Enough; Good Enough?

While Ricoh Theta Z1 is the recommended "go to" 360 1-click camera today - (Asteroom app is seamlessly integrated with the Ricoh Theta Z1; price point of camera and quality of the imagery) - there are 8K 360 1-click cameras such as the Labpano Pilot One and Labpano Pilot Era.

Plus, for WGAN Forum Members, Asteroom includes professional editing of all the 360s (color enhancement) in the Asteroom Pay Per Tour Bundle.

Plus, this may be helpful too:

Video: Instantly DOUBLE your image quality! Topaz Gigapixel AI Tutorial

I could imagine that:

✓ the quality of 360 cameras will continue to improve
✓ the price of 360 cameras will continue to come down in price (or more value at a similar price)
✓ open platforms like Asteroom will continue to do capture workflow integrations to help simplify

Additional thoughts?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Basic
Virginia Beach, Virginia
carloscardo private msg quote post Address this user
This reminds me of my very first 0-360 Lens.

There was a virtual hosting site that would let you add a "hotspot" link that would get you to the next room similar to this (looks like a hot spot and then a zoom-in transition effect to the next 360 pix/room).

After a while I ended up having to buy a second lens because the mirror can and did get scratched.
I can see Asteroom used as an alternate to the Matterport especially outside shoots where Matterport is a problem/difficult.

I would still use the Matterport as primary because it is the only one that will give you that "walking through" feeling with a good sharp image.

That first model demonstrated is beautiful. Nicely shot and a big floorplan. Perhaps in the future I could use the transition affect and build a path for example to the tennis court.

I probably need new glasses, but something about the sharpness I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps take the 360 pix utilize both LR and Photoshop and adjust the vividness, sharpen edges filters, etc, to give it a little more pop.

I hope I am not too critical, I have learned so much from this group that I try to apply those ideas and photo touchups on the 360s from my Theta z1 photos and they do help.

It is difficult for me to photoshop the 360's, but I am learning.
Post 6 IP   flag post
San Francisco
EricTsai private msg quote post Address this user
@jwaltphotography thank you very much for sharing your experiences with the community.

I would love to continue seeing more Asteroom users sharing their stories of using Asteroom. Please let me know if there is anything I or Asteroom can help with.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@jwaltphotography

Thank you for sharing your review of Asteroom.

I noticed in your tour (above), when I click on the floor plan icon in the lower left that you did not order the Asteroom 2D schematic floor plans. I was wondering why. Seems like that is an Add On that you could easily up-sell.

@Letsshoot

Asteroom + DSLR shot 360 photospheres (equi-rectangular jpg) = Asteroom virtual tour.

The trade off is your DSLR shot 360 photos spears are likely to be better than a Ricoh Theta Z1, BUT the workflow with a Ricoh Theta Z1 + Asteroom iOS/Android app will be much, much faster.

Dan
It wasn't available at the time. In my market, the 2D floorplan isn't highly sought after, but I appreciate the option.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod. Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have been researching 360 cameras and platforms for the past couple of days on this website. It seems it's not just the 360's camera performance, best results are achieved when you have very good editing and stitching skills. I have started Ben Claremont's virtual tour pro course and I am enjoying it, covers everything even an in-depth business section which is useful. I will definitely do 360 with my DSLR as all I have to do is buy a Panoramic Head so there is not much financial outlay there even if it's just for my own enjoyment. But for residential real estate, a 360 camera like the Theata Z1 seems the obvious choice for speed and value. This is the aspiration, for now I will buy a cheaper 360 camera and can use it as a backup if I do purchase the z1 or comparable model at a later stage. It all really depends on the demand in my market.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Letsshoot

While there are 50+ 3D/360 cameras, Ricoh Theta Z1 is a great choice for a real estate photographer because of the seamless integrations with Matterport, Asteroom, Ricoh Tours, Zillow 3D Home, Cupix, etc.

Give that, I would recommend that you buy a Ricoh Theta V because this camera is also supported by Matterport, Asteroom, Ricoh Tours, Zillow 3D Home, Cupix, etc. AND the workflow will be the SAME when you upgrade to the Ricoh Theta Z1.

While I am excited by other 3D/360 cameras, until they are seamlessly integrated with 3D/360 platforms/software used by real estate photographers, its hard to recommend them (unless for a different use-case such as solely publishing to Google Street View (and you want a camera that you can publish directly to GSV.

My sense is most 3D/360 cameras are stuck on developing features rather than seamless integrations with 3D/3670 platforms/software. Thus, this WGAN Forum post ...

Are you a 3D/360º Camera Manufacturer? The Must Have Killer Feature is ...

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod. Thanks for that insight. You must have read my mind!! I actually bought a second-hand Theta V and I am expecting delivery of it tomorrow! I will use it with the dual fish eye plugin which should give me better performance. I am delighted that the workflow is the same for both the Theta V and Z1. I wasn't aware that the Theta V was that widely supported, I knew about Matterport and Asteroom.
Thanks a million for the info.

Siobhan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Letsshoot

That's great news!

Please do share your Asteroom virtual tours in the WGAN Forum; share your thoughts and ask for feedback. (Please do create a new WGAN Forum Topic when you post your first Asteroom tour.)

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks Dan. I will definitely be looking for feedback when I do the tour.

Best

Siobhan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Letsshoot

Cool! I look forward to seeing your Asteroom tour.

Hi All,

Creating Asteroom virtual tours? Please do start a new topic and share an example and ask for feedback.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I like it but I'm just not convinced it's better than matterport, because what I'm doing as a professional 360 photographer is trying to ensure that the potential home buyer and client is able to accurately assess the space and all its nuances. over and over again I'm looking at these virtual tour services where people are content with a single scan per room.

If I'm a homebuyer I'm not sure that's enough to send me over the edge. What say you? 👍
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETMYVR
I like it but I'm just not convinced it's better than matterport, because what I'm doing as a professional 360 photographer is trying to ensure that the potential home buyer and client is able to accurately assess the space and all its nuances. over and over again I'm looking at these virtual tour services where people are content with a single scan per room.

If I'm a homebuyer I'm not sure that's enough to send me over the edge. What say you? 👍

I have not experienced this. We have shot more than 2 dozen properties since we recently implemented this. Our realtors are much happier with the time savings since I can shoot any house in 15 minutes or less. I have yet to hear a buyer state that "This tour wasn't immersive enough". IN fact, most buyers are layman in terms of cameras and cannot tell the difference. A matterport has consistent misalignment issues in post and it often makes walls with patterns or door faces overlap weird. This is not the case at all with Asteroom and the insta360 OneX. If the scan doesn't look right, I can take another. The load time of scans is far less than on a matterport as well, making my workflow incredibly fast. Overall, a tesla and a camry will both get you to point "B", only one has far more technology than necessary and a much higher price tag. Hope that helps!
Post 16 IP   flag post
101269 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?