Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AdviceNewbiesRicoh Theta VRicoh Theta Z1StrategyTips

My first Matterport 3D Tour: Feedback Please (used Z1 and V to compare)12586

FabioLuna private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone,

Please critique my first Matterport scans.

I had ordered a Theta V while I was waiting on a Z1 and was lucky enough to get both last week. Yesterday, I scanned this beach front condo in Baja. These are my first scans and I know they are not that great, so feedback is greatly appreciated... thanks!

Taken with Theta Z1

Taken with Theta V

Post 1 IP   flag post
MarcelloM private msg quote post Address this user
Z1 is another (better) world!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Z1 space is certainly superior. Your "V" space exhibits a large mesh obstruction moving between the balcony and inside. Z1 space is clean there.
Post 3 IP   flag post
castaway private msg quote post Address this user
Your scans look great.

This is minor but my kooky take is to consider weighing the thrill of hiding the camera in front of mirrors, against the possible cost to the feeling of not being able to stand in front of a sink for instance, for the viewer.

Not a popular view, but fwiw.

More importantly, about the mesh that got built on the Theta V scan's threshold to the balcony transition - to be clearer on the A-B?

Sun was less, shadows were far longer on the Z1 scan. So part of it could have been partially a time of day/lighting/glare/reflections' effect on the photogrammetry, but if you don't mind sharing? Were there any scans on the Theta V model that were hidden after upload? Maybe ones (even a single one) that saw the glass door as closed, even from all the way at the other side of the unit, before being hidden?

If there were no hidden scans (not even one) that the glass door as closed (partially nor fully) then this could be helpful, for best practices with all 360 cams, in terms of needing to be conscious of the light/glare/reflections situation, even though no infrared send/receive pairs (as with the Pro and Pro2) are in play.

Very tight scanning!
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Just me? but Matterport has been sending my tours back slightly off, where I've needed to straighten the verticals, and on a keyboard I use the arrows to navigate so then everything is balanced. Saw that this one was also off a bit too (? or is it), and I'm wondering if Matterport might be burning through these renders too fast with loose QC?

My thought on your 1st - nice job, but go much lower in the kitchen (just above the sink and range) & bathrom too (about waist high just above the vanity), that way when you take your images of those rooms and spaces, you won't have to look down and have a kiltered image. You'll have nice straight vertical lines.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Great job and again just personal preference I have to agree with @GETMYVR I would place camera height just a little bit lower. Z1 definitely better.
Post 6 IP   flag post
FabioLuna private msg quote post Address this user
thanks everyone for the feedback. I had the cameras at about 5 1/2 ft,I will definitely try using different heights depending on how tall the total space is.

@castaway I have no idea how that mesh got created, I don't remember deleting any scan points and I didn't touch any of the windows. I was going to use the Z1 first and take advantage of the light, but the battery had drained because I forgot to turn off the camera after charging( Duh!!)...I used the V5 first then I did some regular DSLR shots, then scaned with the Z, so yes the sun was further down on the horizon ( it was about 3 hours before sunset)all in all I guess it was not bad for my first scan, hope to get better on my second one.

@GETMYVR I didn't think of moving the height of the camera during a scan, in my mind I thought that would introduce some type of artifacts, I will try doing that next time.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101630 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?