Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360 Camera GimbalGimbals

360 camera gimbal? Other methods of auto leveling a twin lens 360 camera?12574

Selyah private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone, I work in the UK and many of the older houses I work on have very uneven floors.
I also use my theta Z1 outside in gardens and publish via 3Dvista.

So I am constantly struggling to level my monopod, I do use various a sliding cup leveling plate with bubble levels.

However, I have seen some specific 360 Gimbals that would make my life so much better, the Moza Air is very expensive, and its cheeper version the Moza GURU 360 seems to be out of stock everwhere.

Does anyone else use a gimbal, if so which one, or any other methods of auto leveling a twin lens 360 camera (not DSLR)?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Selyah are you referring to the Moza Guru 360 Air? It looks like what I need to but it's almost as much as my Theta Z1 which needs it.

Currently I'm using a
and for each shot I have to remove the camera and screw, balance the monopod then screw on the camera and take the shot.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Selyah private msg quote post Address this user
@GETMYVR yes thats the one, the 360 Air is £700+ the older 360 was about £200 but I can find anywhere with stock.

I would have thought there would be other makes out there that allowed for a camera sitting on top, and having a gimbal arm only in the stitching line, if there I cant find them.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Selyah I wasn't even aware of this type of gimbal/level was available so thanks for dialing me in. Such an apparatus would be more than welcome, and could shave off half the time it normally takes.

I'm sure a lot of people don't really care if the cameras level or not, mediocre works for a lot of people, not me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ahojman private msg quote post Address this user
To record 360 videos I use an Osmo Mobile and a home made adapter.

To rotate a 360 photo I use Hugin.

I cannot understand exactly which is your problem.

Here is my fyuse of it:
https://www.fyu.se/v/6000p4ih8u

My first tests:
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I do not think 1-3% difference in leveling can be a big problem as you can always auto level all you panos in 3DVista. Pano2VR can do it based on location data saved in EXIF
clickable text

I have done some outdoor path with a Theta V that goes up and I have captured it as it is without leveling. I have published it with Pano2VR Pro and it works ok. Have a look at

The path is long and it goes through two street blocks letting viewers to go inside some internal facility tours but for the link above I have made it to start just at the beginning of climbing the part of the path that goes up.

However if you really want every shot leveled you do not need a gimbal, you need a counterweight system so your camera is always leveled by something heavy at the bottom keeping it leveled due to gravity.

This one if you can adapt is only $45

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QIE7FI2?th=1

I do not know what its handle is made of but you can add 1/4 thread to its bottom so you can screw it into your monopod top plate.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETMYVR
@Selyah are you referring to the Moza Guru 360 Air? It looks like what I need to but it's almost as much as my Theta Z1 which needs it.

Currently I'm using a
and for each shot I have to remove the camera and screw, balance the monopod then screw on the camera and take the shot.

You can use a tripod and put your monopod stick on it so you can manipulate leveling by making the tripod legs extending more or less. Have a look at the picture in this post.
tripod + monopod pole

I have created it to explain that there are easier and cheaper ways to keep your camera steady for even a heavy Pilot Era if you just combine a Manfrotto tripod and a pole from a monopod. I have seen people buying expensive monopod systems and using weights in order to achieve what can done with a cheap pole and a tripod that they probably have already.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Not sure if the tour I have published above looking the right way. If it does not start for you shown towards a building and the path going up rotate it 180 degree.

I did not use the tripod+pole system back then, it was used with a cheap monopod with legs
Post 8 IP   flag post
101646 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?