Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
iOSLidarPix4DcatchPix4DcloudPix4DmapperVideo

Video: Pix4Dcatch iOS App: 3D Scanner for capturing Depth Data12295

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Pix4D - Introducing Pix4Dcatch | Video courtesy of Pix4D YouTube Channel | 18 June 2020

Hi All

Pix4Dcatch iOS app is an example of how companies can leverage the LiDAR in the latest iPad (and likely) in the next iPhone.

From the Pix4D YouTube Channel:

----

Pix4Dcatch - Turn your Apple mobile device into a professional 3D scanner.

Catch your world in 3D with Pix4Dcatch. Produce 3D models in Pix4Dcloud or in Pix4Dmapper.

Download now for free and test it yourself.

1. Capture ground data - Walk along or around the area of interest. Pix4Dcatch automatically records video frames with position and orientation information.

2. Track progress - Thanks to augmented reality, get live feedback on the covered area and the completeness of the scan with a 3D mesh layer overlayed on the video frame (only on iPad Pro with Lidar sensor).

3. Pause and restart - Pause the recording at any time. The augmented reality feedback remains on your device’s screen and shows you which parts have been covered already.

4. Finish - Upload the captured images to Pix4Dcloud or export them to Pix4Dmapper to generate accurate and easy to share 3D models and point clouds. Measure distances, areas, and volumes, and perform virtual inspections.

Supported devices:

Pix4Dcatch is optimized for the iPad Pro equipped with a LiDAR scanner, giving a live feedback of the scan completion with augmented reality, but can also be used for image recording with any iOS device above version 13.4.1.

Learn more about Pix4Dcatch: https://www.pix4d.com/product/pix4dcatch

Source: Pix4D YouTube Channel
----

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Since I am already a Pix4D user of their desktop software (Mapper), this is very attractive option worth exploring. But for someone who is not already a Pix4D user, it's not going to be price competitive with other services such as Matterport - their minimum cloud subscription is $165/month (paid annually)!

They don't mention whether there is an output in a standard format which could be sent to a different (cheaper)cloud service (e.g., CUPIX).

However, integrating with the LIDAR scanner of the new iPad Pro and based on their reputation for highly sophisticated photogrammetry software that can yield extremely accurate & precise outputs, it appears that this is aimed at their typical customers who are willing to invest in a platform that meets their requirements for higher levels of detail and accuracy (e.g., architects, construction, etc.).
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@EaglePrecision

thanks for the backstory.

Once you take Pix4Dcatch for a spin, can you share your thoughts/examples here?

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Quick summary of the app:
- It is basically an image capture app that automates the process
- Two modes: 1) Device Pose that uses two criteria to trigger the camera - Distance (in cm) and angle. 2) Image Overlap in which the camera is triggered on the set amount of overlap with the last image (default is 95 degrees).
- There is a sharing feature in which the images can then be exported to either external storage or a cloud service. However, when I tried to use it, it first forced to me login to my Pix4D account (or create one). The Upload feature presumably uploads the images directly to Pix4D Cloud for processing after signing in. I suspect, however (I didn't try it), that you then need to interact with the software to set up the processing to generate the 3D model. There are a lot of editing options available before, at each step and after the generation of the point cloud and the mesh.

With any IOS device other than the new iPad Pro, you don't see a live preview.

The design is mainly targeted at scans of objects or small areas only. It's really a scaled-down version of their drone Capture app to automate the capture of input images for photogrammetry based on distance, overlap and angle except it's meant for ground objects or areas - not really for interiors. I can see contractors, insurance adjusters, plant maintenance and some limited use in construction but it's not really suitable for real estate when compared to what the Matterport iPhone app does and how intuitively it does it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Really cool, thanks for letting us know Dan.

I may try it one day since they offer 15 days trial for Pix4D Cloud and they include 1000 photos and 3 project in the trial.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101436 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?