Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
JPEGPhotomatixQuestion of the DayRAW

Question of the Day: Do you shoot RAW or JPEG Real Estate Photos (and why)?12285

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Thursday, 18 June 2020:

Question of the Day: Do you shoot RAW or JPEG Real Estate Photos (and why)?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Raw + JPG

Raw if I am editing my photos JPG if I am outsourcing my editing to BoxBrownie
Post 2 IP   flag post
Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
I shoot raw for ease of editing in Lightroom, camera raw and photoshop. I do Flash/Ambient blends to remove shadows from ceilings, window pulls and removing glare from light fixtures.
Post 3 IP   flag post
3DVirtuallyThere private msg quote post Address this user
I like it raw, craw, huRAW... Canon RAW!
Post 4 IP   flag post
808virtually private msg quote post Address this user
RAW for sure! Gives you more to work with in LR & PS.
Post 5 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I shoot hdr jpegs. Hdr renders raw redundant and the files are smaller. Manual exposure and adjust white balance in camera.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@HarlanHambright

Do you adjust the white balance manually or use the automatic setting?
Post 7 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
auto in normal settings. sometimes bracket using different settings, merge with layering, etc. depends on the conditions. Matterport images usually come out pretty close.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Marshallartsmedia private msg quote post Address this user
Has to be raw for everything except sports where I might shoot a couple of thousand shots at a game. shooting JPEGs for real estate would make it harder to balance interiors/exteriors unless you’re bracketing hdr shots. But I don’t shoot RE

I teach photo/video part time at a local Uni and shooting raw is a day one recommendation unless you’re using the files straight out of the camera without adjustment. I see students trying to manipulate JPEGs every year and it’s never right unless very subtle because they’ve thrown away 90% of the colour information in the jpeg conversion.

The dark arts of compression...
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Greenville, South Carolina
8643d private msg quote post Address this user
I just picked up my first DSLR. I’ve always heard, shoot RAW format. I have a question for the Real Estate Photographers though.

I plan on bracketing, merging a HDR in Lightroom, and editing that rendered file. Do I need to shoot in RAW? What are my pros and cons?

I took some practice shoots in RAW-Large, and my dated PC was dragging trying to work in Lightroom.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WALES private msg quote post Address this user
RAW 99% of the time - gives more control when editing compared to jpg.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Real quick: if you're planning on using HDR merge in LR, you need to keep your exposures very close together. Wide exposure gaps will result in some bizarre decisions by the software. It does work great sometimes, but not consistently in my experience.

If you're shooting RAW, why RAW large? I'd sugesst that small is plenty.

I havent shot a jpg in 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8643d

I plan on bracketing, merging a HDR in Lightroom, and editing that rendered file. Do I need to shoot in RAW? What are my pros and cons?

I took some practice shoots in RAW-Large, and my dated PC was dragging trying to work in Lightroom.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@Expertise

I’ve been experimenting with the 80d And 10-22 lens that I picked up on Thursday. I’m trying to watch tutorials and some online lectures to see what works best for me. Everyone seems to have their own opinions on how to “correctly” shoot real estate.

I’ll try a smaller RAW. As of now, I’m shooting at ISO 100, f8, and auto shutter speed using natural lighting. With stops at 4, 2, 0, -2, -4, but I’ll try 2, 1, 0, -1, -2. Should I consider investing in flash?
Post 13 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Like most of those that have commented here, I also shoot RAW. The reason is, as most have pointed out, there is more flexibility in post when editing your images. If you didn't get the white balance right in camera, this can be particularly problematic to deal with in post when using a JPEG. Also, the dynamic range available from a JPEG image is significantly reduced when compared to a RAW image, thus making it difficult to recover details in the shadows and in the highlights.

Additionally, I do want to mention to those that are deciding whether to shoot JPEG and/or RAW, that for JPEG images, you need to pay special attention to your "picture style" settings as this will greatly affect the appearance of your JEPG since this basically tells the camera how to process the information captured to create the final image. I always recommend that you shoot with a neutral/flat color profile to give you the most flexibility in post. Others may have differing opinions on this, but that is just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
JonJ
Post 14 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
You could easily go to ISO 400 or 500, you wont have to wait all day for your bright exposure, lol.

4, 2, 0, -2, -4 is great, I'm just saying that LR Merge seems to prefer closer brackets, it gets "confused" when gaps are too large. You can push your 2 stop brackets closer towards the center in LR to help LR Merge out. I usually leave out any real dark and real light files as well. Does that make sense to you?

Trying flash now would just confuse you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8643d
I’ll try a smaller RAW. As of now, I’m shooting at ISO 100, f8, and auto shutter speed using natural lighting. With stops at 4, 2, 0, -2, -4, but I’ll try 2, 1, 0, -1, -2. Should I consider investing in flash?
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise
You can push your 2 stop brackets closer towards the center in LR to help LR Merge out. I usually leave out any real dark and real light files as well. Does that make sense to you?

I believe this makes sense. Using exposure in Lightroom? I’ll try a higher ISO as well. Thanks for helping a beginner, @Expertise
Post 16 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Another word of caution when deciding on what format to use with respect to the different RAW options. Specifically for the Canon 80d, the RAW small format will only yield an image with a resolution of 2000x3000. Whereas the Large format yields 4000x6000. This comes into play if you need to crop images or if you need high resolution images for print media. Also, you should check with your clients to see if they have minimum resolution requirements as this may be the deciding factor when choosing the capture format. Designers and architects may need high resolution images that they can later manipulate, if desired.

Hope this helps,
Jon
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Shoot RAW or JPEG for Real Estate Photography | Video courtesy of Jordan Nielsen YouTube Channel | 15 July 2021
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest getting Photomatix Pro license. I had it and used it but then with subscription to Adobe I went doing HDR merge in LR. It all was ok until I got one shot in a hotel hall. I merged to HDR in LR but it was not enough. I spent a lot of time trying to bring some shadows, correct colours and many things and I still was not happy. Then I decided to give Photomatix a chance again and it did a trick. It produced HDR with all correct colours and everything as it should be. Now I think LR HDR merge is highly undeveloped and I am not going to use it anymore.

I shoot with raw+jpeg.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I am a YouTube student of Nathan Cool.

I shoot in raw. Depending on if I’m doing a window pull, I shoot two to three exposures of those three one is a flash shot. I do my color corrections in Lightroom Classic, then export the photos as layers in photoshop, then blend the flash /ambient photos.

Raw gives you more flexibility with exposure and color than jpeg
Post 20 IP   flag post
101423 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?