Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360MuseumsOutdoorsRTC360Versus

Leica BLK360 versus RTC360 for 150,000 Sq Ft exterior space?12249

Saint-Jérôme, Quebec
UTAG_3D_VISION private msg quote post Address this user
Hello a customer of mine asked me if we can scan the exterior of a 4 floor building about 150k sqft . Has anyone ever tried both and what are the differences?
Post 1 IP   flag post
DougMagners private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,
Out of curiosity, are they just looking for point clouds or are they also looking for virtual tour capabilities?

As far as laser scanners, I would definitely suggest the RTC360. It is faster than the BLK360 and just such a better scanner in so many ways (I don'tever plan to use the BLK again if I can help it). And if you go with the RTC360, take it from me, you most likely will not need to use the medium or high density; low density is typically enough. The high settings get to be very large files very quickly. Also, an FYI I found out the hard way, the high density setting cuts the distance range in half.

For your consideration, even on the lowest setting with no photos, the BLK360 still takes several minutes for one scan whereas the RTC360 on the lowest setting with no photos is only 26 seconds. If you add the photos it is still only 1 minute 26 seconds and the photos are so much better than the BLK360. Also, the RTC360 uses cameras and special VIS software to actually track the scanner as it moves from one scan location to the next, so the registration process becomes much easier than other systems, including the BLK360.

Are you familiar with the software workflows you will need for these scanners? What kind of deliverable does the client need?

Happy to help answer questions you may have!

Best,
Doug
Post 2 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Spending about 20K for the BLK360 is a bit of a change from a PRO2, and the BLK helps in a lot of situations but at 78K I'd hope the RTC would be better. So I think I'd say the first difference is about 60K in price over the cost of a BLK.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yes, Dave has a good point - if you are purchasing a system, price becomes a very significant factor to consider. My suggestions were speaking purely as comparing the scanners themselves and assumed (possibly incorrectly) that OP was likely going to be a rental situation since it is just for one job. But maybe this is not the case. In our market, the rental prices are so comparable that I find it worth it to go with the RTC over the BLK.

Best,
Doug
Post 4 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Or you could do it with a $2,000 drone and process the photos into a 3D model using Pix4D, DroneDeploy or Metashape. If you go to the Drone U site you can find a webinar on how the scanned their whole building and parking lot where they have their offices.

Or you could hire a knowledgeable drone pilot (someone like me) who could do it for you for less than 1/6th the cost of one of those scanner.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Doug, Interesting the rental rates are the same where you are. I was seeing the RTCs renting at 8k a month or so. What kind of prices are you seeing on 3day and weekly rentals for the BLK and RTC?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Dave, we've never rented for that long so I can only speak to the 1-day rentals:
Honestly I don't remember the exact figures off the top of my head but don't get me wrong - they are not exactly the same price; between our two suppliers where we rent them, we can get the RTC for just a couple hundred more than what the other company charges for the BLK so for our type of work it just makes sense to save the time and hassle over the BLK (doing a hundred + scans with the BLK's slow capture rate quickly adds up to a lot of unnecessary time in the field for results that just are not worth it).
But that's just been our experience, "your results may vary." :-)

Best,
Doug
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks Doug, If pricing is anywhere close makes perfect sense if you have the availability - and it isn't Matterport. We did the BLK to also use for Matterport. It may lose a lot of time compared to the RTC but saves a lot over the Pro2.

Thanks for the insight.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101437 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?