Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseScanning

Feature Idea - Zenith/Nadir Photo Correction1223

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
If we can see the floor and ceiling at all times in 3D View, then why can't Matterport fill in the missing photographic Zenith and Nadir using the 3D data?

I was playing around with Sketchfab.com on a scan that I did and was carefully walking through the home -- and I realized that there was a quality to the 3D tour that was missing from the photos -- and it was the seamless ability to look up and down. Something I miss from working with panoramic tours and fisheye lenses.

If you can't picture what I'm thinking - take a look at the tour I did as an example. Look up and down. The ceiling and floor is there... what would it be like if Matterport used the same data to fill in the black spots at the top and bottom of our tours?

https://skfb.ly/KyrL
Post 1 IP   flag post
Zephyr Cove, NV
Maria private msg quote post Address this user
The model you are showing in Sketch Fab is very similar to the "mesh" view in Matterport's Workshop mode. Having this view available in showcase mode as an option would be nice. The quality is not as impressive for house advertising and mirrors and shiny bits can cause a bit of havoc on the sensors creating weird random objects and odd shapes such as the desk lamp and melted refrigerator in your Sketch Fab model.

Also I found the Sketch Fab model difficult to navigate compared to the Matterport mesh view which still maintains a sense of up and down allowing me to walk through like a video game using A W S D keys to walk, right and left arrow keys or mouse/tracpad to look around and the space bar to jump.

On a side note, Matterport .obj files can be converted into a point cloud file .pts as well, which produces some interesting models and can be imported into CAD software. https://vimeo.com/141665697
Post 2 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
in the real world, the vertical nodal points are usually boring and meaningless.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Harlan: I agree, however, on Matterport tours, the vertical viewing is quite limited and even in the limited space, the top and bottom area is blurred. Filling in this area with data from the 3D scan would make perfect sense and look better than a blurry circle.

Maria: Correct - I was just playing with SketchFab after seeing that a few others had done the same. I mentioned it only because I found that the ability to see the floor instead of a blurry circle was pleasing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Metroplex360, The issue I see is like you said this looks good and worked good in panorama's which usually use way fewer view points. Since in Matterport is automated and we have so many view points it would take even longer to process the models since the field of view does not cover this naturally with Matterport. Right now the balance to get the models back in a timely matter or have this, I would opt out. This is just my thought, if it did not impact processing time and or cost it might be a good option.

Ron
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Ron: Good points. If it affected turn around time, I could see it being a point of contention. What if it only took an additional 30 minutes, or what if this feature as well as other future features were a second-pass -- wherein our tours were available and Matterport then queued our tours for mastering with this feature among others... for instance, if we ever get to do color correction, removing the camera from mirrors, etc, then our tours would be subjected to a second process (unless showcase would just map a layer over the mirror in real time and adjust the pictures in realtime with filters -- which WebGL can easily do)...

Still, I would love this feature. I think it would remove another point of comparison with DSLR 360s.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Metroplex360
I totally agree if it would not extend processing time, but like you said if it could do that, then a simple skin or mask for the camera in the mirror would be great or a slight color adjustment here or there would be another great feature.

Ron
Post 7 IP   flag post
101636 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?