Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DNGDual Fish Eye PluginNative Theta DNGRicoh Theta Z1TutorialVideo

Video: Ricoh Theta Z1 - Dual Fish Eye Plugin vs. Native Theta DNG Tutorial12054

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Ricoh Theta Z1 - Dual Fish Eye Plugin vs. Native Theta DNG | Video courtesy of JRDNPWRS YouTube Channel | 26 May 2020

Hi All,

From the JRDNPWRS YouTube Channel ...

----

"I wanted to show the difference in quality between using the Dual Fish Eye plugin vs. the native Theta DNG file. TLDW - The Dual Fisheye has significantly less noise, more dynamic range, and better color," says JRDNPWRS YouTube Channel.

----

What are you thoughts? Do you use Dual Fish Eye plugin or native Theta DNG file in your workflow?

Dan

Transcript (video above)

- [Instructor] Today I shot this and I just wanted to give it a try because I thought this is a real good scenario why I would personally use the Dual Fisheye Plugin over the regular Theta app.

And yeah, so let's go ahead and get into this. So this is, obviously, kind of an extreme example. And it's actually an example of when I find the Dual Fisheye Plugin most useful. It's when you're in a kind of a darker room, and especially when there is some brighter light.

So like when you have a high-contrast area. In this case, we're in this living room. No lights to speak of inside except for these two lamps and all this natural light coming in. It's just kind of an overcast day so it was pretty bright out.

And you can see, there's not much detail in the highlights. I wanted to try and expose it as properly as I could, but I know from experience that the Ricoh files don't handle very well in the shadows. Right, so a lot of noise starts to get introduced when you start to push those a little bit. So just for fun, I'll just hit auto really quick and see what it does for us.

And I usually just start with auto on these because I kind of just want to see what it does. And then I can kind of start adjusting things from here. I can try to bring in the highlights a little bit, bring in the shadows a bit. And you can see, it's actually quite noisy.

And this is one of the reasons I don't use the Ricoh app as much as I could, okay? I'm being careful with how I word that 'cause I've kind of changed recently how I'm handling this. Now, this is pretty much as far as I could push it. It's not a bad image, but it is a little noisy. You can't really recover the shadow detail without introducing too much noise.

Even in the midtones, there's still quite a bit of noise as you can see. And you really can't recover the highlights all that much, okay? So, incomes the Dual Fisheye Plugin image.

So this was, I believe I set this at plus two, plus, minus two. So this was either three or five different exposures, I can't remember. Either way, let's just say it was five exposures just for the fun of it.

If I just hit auto on this just to see where it brings us. And I'm going to make some more adjustments,. But just out of the bat, you can see significantly less noise in the shadows and in the midtones. Yeah, it's a pretty significant difference when you compare it to the Native Z1.

So, another thing you'll notice is the color. The color's actually more accurate. This has more of a green hue to it. That's not how it was on location. This is significantly more accurate. It was a little warmer in the room, mostly due to these lights and a mixture of this.

So I think it handles color better. Granted, it's raw so you can, or DNG rather, you can still adjust the white balance. But, more or less, I like this better. So, another thing is you can kind of push the highlights a little bit more than you can with their. Now, we can't 100% recover unless I did maybe a nine stop or a seven stop exposure, but I didn't. But when you compare the highlight recovery to the Native app, it's pretty significant.

In fact, I'll just do this extreme just so we can see. You can just recover a lot more detail. Again, I probably could have recovered more had I done more stops, but I didn't.

But for the most part, I think this, the Dual Fisheye provides just a cleaner image. Less noise, better color, more dynamic range than the Native. So that is my real world example, granted, it's a little more extreme. And I'm honestly not going to use the Dual Fisheye Plugin for every single real estate shoot. Only when it makes sense. And honestly, it's actually a little bit faster.

There's not as much fumbling around once you set it. It takes a work flow, you know what I mean? The most challenging part of using Dual Fisheye is when you bring it in a light room, there's just a certain process you have to follow. You can watch the video that I put in the corner up here if you want to or on this end screen.

But yeah, let me know if you have any questions on this. Again, I'm not a 360 expert or a virtual tour expert. I'm messing with this for now. But, Rich wanted to see an example and I thought I'd make this example just for him and for anybody else who was interested. Let me know if you have any questions on this. I'll do my best to answer.
Post 1 IP   flag post
remaxvictory private msg quote post Address this user
Does this plugin work with Matterport?
Post 2 IP   flag post
botticelli private msg quote post Address this user
I’d like to see a comparison on the auto
HDR jpg vs bracketed dng files. I think the built in HDR is pretty kick ass.
Post 3 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
I shot this Motorhome tour using DFP 9 brackets.

https://ths.li/jrvPqs
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @izoneguy
I shot this Motorhome tour using DFP 9 brackets.

https://ths.li/jrvPqs

Nice and crisp, beautiful images. Way to go! And, thanks for sharing.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@izoneguy Agreed w/ Dan - great resolution panos! Can you help me understand DFP 9 brackets? Thx in advance.
Post 6 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
Look at that YouTube video - that guy does a great job explaining the camera set-up and then editing in Lightroom.
Post 7 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@izoneguy Guess I must be slow. I looked at the video b4 I replied. No worries. Thx anyway.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have never heard of DFP term and googling for it brings nothing. What is it?
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
ok, I have got it from Dan's transcript. It stands for Dual Fisheye Plugin. ;-)
Post 10 IP   flag post
101432 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?