Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppiPadMecha E1Rotator

Capture with an Ipad on a nodal head rotator11902

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

I have just received an ipad holder. It is cheap crap for $15 AUD as it is all plastic. It cannot hold Ipad Pro 2020 when it is in a rugged case and to be honest I wuld not trust it to hold any device.

However I still have an Ipad 5th gen and I have tried to use it on one rotator. Super complicated considering my nodal head is cheap too, it allows tilt only in one direction(either up or down) and the cheap Ipad holder is shaking a lot but at least it keeps the Ipad rotating around a fixed point. I did not care to put rotation around the ipad lens as it should be and I had to do a simple scan but even that way I can see only a couple of stitching errors. I cannot show the tour as it is done in my workshop which is always a mess but after I build my Ipad holder I will redo a tour with complex scans and Ipad Pro 2020 and post it here.

The only big problem to do it that way that the Capture app is taking pictures by itself. So you may not have it perfectly aligned with the circle and it still takes a picture. So the hard part is to make an alignment initially with the first shot. That may go through a lot of un-dos before it happens but it is doable.

I have a nodal ninja head but there is no way I can mount the current holder to it. However with my own holder it can be used with this head too. Nothing complicated for my own holder, I will just build a frame from timber so I can slide my ipad into it.

I also have an automated Mecha e1 rotator which can simplify things but I will need to build the holder first.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
Wait ... if you are using the iPad as the camera...to capture the matterport tour with the new software that allows iPhones/iPads, why mount at all? Can't you just hand hold it and line the circles up? I thought it didn't Capture images until the circles align...thus making having any type of holding device for the iPad not needed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
Also is the new iPad pro 2020 better than the 1st generation pro in regards to alignment/processing time?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelray
Wait ... if you are using the iPad as the camera...to capture the matterport tour with the new software that allows iPhones/iPads, why mount at all? Can't you just hand hold it and line the circles up? I thought it didn't Capture images until the circles align...thus making having any type of holding device for the iPad not needed.

Because that is just a totally wrong way to capture pictures to create 360 photo. If you do not care about precision and a rotation around a nodal point of a camera lens you will always get stitching errors.
That's why there are nodal heads used by professional 360 degree photographers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelray
Also is the new iPad pro 2020 better than the 1st generation pro in regards to alignment/processing time?

It is fast. Search for my topic when I compared its speed with a speed coming from Ipad 5th gen.

I am not sure if its camera better(probably is) and it does produce a great resolution picture on a complex scan but without a proper holder I am not going to test it with the nodal head.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Sorry for typos. I meant "where" not "when". Here is my topic https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/11488/page/1/testing-apple-ipad-pro-2020/#28

And here is another one from @Oboldyrev
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/11749/ipad-pro-2020-model/
Post 6 IP   flag post
101423 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?