Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppHow toiOSiPadiPhoneMatterport SmartPhone CaptureMedia ReleasePress ReleaseTrainingTranscript

Media Release: Matterport Brings 3D Capture to the iPhone11789

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport Media Release
---

Screen Grab courtesy of Matterport

Matterport Brings 3D Capture To The iPhone
Company's patented 3D technology enables users to capture and share 3D spaces for the first time using their iPhone

SUNNYVALE, California, May 4, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Matterport, the industry leader in 3D capture and spatial data, today released Matterport for iPhone, a breakthrough way to create, edit, and share high fidelity 3D digital twins of any physical space. With the Matterport Capture app, iPhone owners now have a fast and easy way to capture a 3D environment; personalize it with embedded notes, links, labels or videos; and share it with a simple click. Visitors can explore the spaces in immersive 3D that is just like being there in person. They can even digitally measure walls, doors, windows or furniture. iPads are also supported by the Matterport Capture app, available today in the Apple App Store.

"With billions of square feet captured in more than 80 countries, Matterport has created the standard for 3D capture to digitize the built world. Today marks our first step to empower billions of smartphone users to try Matterport for themselves," RJ Pittman, CEO of Matterport, stated. "Matterport for iPhone introduces the world to our advanced spatial data capture and Cortex AI technologies in an easy-to-use app that enables anyone to capture and share 3D spaces with friends, family or colleagues."

Once downloaded, the Matterport Capture app can be used immediately in a number of powerful ways:

✓ Real estate agents can scan a property almost as easily as taking photos with their iPhone, to create and publish an accurate 3D digital twin of a property listing
✓ Homeowners can share a digital twin of their kitchen to get a quote for a remodel or scan damage to send to their insurance company for a more accurate estimate for repair.
✓ iPhone users can freely share their digital twins with friends and colleagues, along with prospective tenants, owners, and more.
✓ Interior designers can capture a space and take it with them to make sure furnishings fit.
✓ Contractors can efficiently document stages of progression during the construction or renovation process.
✓ Property owners can create an immersive virtual tour of their spaces to improve their booking rate on rental sites.
✓ Businesses can easily capture a 3D digital twin of their office to help with recruiting, hiring, wayfinding, space planning and building company culture.
✓ And anyone can capture and share places that are important to them -- whether it's a special room in their home, a favorite spot they frequent, or an incredible space they experienced on vacation.

"We have been hard at work advancing the capability of the Matterport platform to support 3D capture from a range of new digital capture devices over the past two years. Matterport for iPhone marks an important milestone in our capability to create stunning 3D digital twins of any space using the phone in your pocket," said Japjit Tulsi, CTO of Matterport.

Matterport for iPhone is powered by Cortex, the company's AI platform and patented deep learning neural network. It analyzes 3D spatial data captured from Matterport's flagship Pro2 camera and a wide variety of third party devices including Lidar cameras, 360 cameras, and now smartphones. With millions of spaces captured, Cortex consistently and accurately creates the 3D digital twin and handles complex tasks -- from 2D to 3D reconstruction, advanced image processing, automatic color correction, object and room labeling, and more. Cortex can even generate professional looking photo galleries and shareable videos from within the digital twin, along with measurements and dimensions of entire spaces; and automatic face blurring for privacy.

For more information about Matterport for iPhone, visit https://matterport.com/3d-camera-app-iphone

About Matterport

Matterport is the industry leader in 3D capture and spatial data with a mission to digitize and index the built world, and advance the way people interact with the places they inhabit and explore. Matterport's all-in-one 3D data platform enables anyone to turn a physical space into an immersive digital twin and share it with others to connect and collaborate in 3D. In less than a decade, customers such as Redfin, HH Angus, Sotheby's, Arup and Marriott, have captured billions of square feet of space in over 80 countries.

Learn more at matterport.com, browse a gallery of digital twins, or explore a curated global collection of 3D spaces at Destination : Everywhere.

Follow Matterport on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.

All trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.

Source: Matterport via PRNewswire
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

WGAN Forum Discussions Tagged: Matterport SmartPhone Capture

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
foxwrth13 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone see a market for educating and training businesses like home remodelers, contractors and decorators to use this?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
@foxwrth13 only if they are paying you monthly hosting and processing fees. I could see that as "free money"
Post 4 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
My guess is that it will be a teaser.... equivalent to Zillow Home 3D Nightmare or GoPro Fusion 3.60 cameras.

I've used grid project devices and the iPhone's native crap before and it's most unimpressive and slow. I've also used Occipital's device which does essentially what the iPad Pro 4th Gen does.... and it was okay, but touchy touchy touchy to get it to behave.

I'm not feeling threatened with my Pro2 camera.
Post 5 IP   flag post
San Francisco
EricTsai private msg quote post Address this user
As the founder of Asteroom, I am often asked: "Are you concerned of the new Matterport for iPhone solution?"

And the honest answer is no because no realtor or service provider is going to pick up a stick and rotate their phones 100 times in a listing

Keep in mind - lowering hardware cost is great, but the ease of use or time on site is probably more just as important if not more
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
It is not just Iphone, it works with Ipad too. All you need to do is to update the capture app. It will update Cortex engine after that.

I am testing it now with my Ipad 2020, it "sees" outdoor as good if not better than a Matterport camera sees inside. I have done about 7 scans and it has covered at least 50 sqm outdoor. The problem though when I switch to my Pro2 on the same scanning it does not seem to align to anything. So may be it is better to start with scanning indoors with a Matterport Pro2 and when you go outside switch to Ipad/Iphone capture.

I will try all methods and post here what tour I will get from it after I charge my Ipad.

It can be a game changer for scanning outdoor spaces. I do not know if it uses Ipad 2020 Lidar but it has the same options to do a 3D scan or capture a 360 only. Plus it has a simple mode when you just capture in front of you as one row only or you can do three rows with extra one added scanning down and another row scanning up.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Just for a start, outdoor only tour with about 10 meters coverage. One row(simple scans) only.

I do not like the one for indoor(Pro2) and then going outdoor(ipad Pro 2020) but I will see what I will get after processing.

I will try to do the one near the pool now.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
The one with the pool is ready

I think I have mesh blocking my way to the 1-2 scan points(near the pool basket) but I am still happy it is possible to scan outside no matter how many sunglight you have. For those who will see this post only I am not concerned with alignment for now, just testing how it works with a LiDAR packed Ipad Pro 2020. I did not scan inside the pool of course and did not see any messages about no alignment. And this is three rows scanning.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Actually no mesh blocking anything. Magically these two scans have been just gone from the model. I simply cannot see these two scans in workshop. I have moved them a bit, realigned and pushed it for processing again.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Paulo private msg quote post Address this user
So the question is, is it better to use an ipad 2020 or the 360s of an MP Pro2 (360 to 3D) for outdoor scanning?
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I would use 360 from Matterport if it is just a few hotspots outdoor. It is just simpler even though I do not like Matterport current implementation of 360 when you see all 360s even those that are behind a property.

However if you want to walk outdoor an Ipad Pro 2020 or a new Iphone with LiDAR seems to be capable of doing it.

That's assuming you will find a way to avoid capturing them by holding Iphone/Ipad in your hands. You will never get a perfect 360 this way and there always will be a lot of stitching errors.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
BTW, two missing scans are not appearing in the 3D tour for the pool no matter what I do. It just gives me the tour with 6 scans while there are 8 of them. Hope it is just beta and it will improve.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (5 May 2020) Matterport debuts iPhone-based 3D tour tool

"Matterport for iPhone is poised to make the 3D imaging company's technology accessible to more real estate professionals, and it comes amid surging interest in 3D tours," reports Inman.

"The announcement, which comes amid surging interest in 3D tours thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, marks a significant democratization of Matterport’s technology — which at one time required an expensive, high-end camera to use," reports Inman.

---

Save $20 on Inman Select subscription with WGAN Affiliate Link
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have just tried the new version of the Capture app on the old Ipad 5th gen.

First I must say that I do not think now that this app is using a LiDAR built in Ipad Pro 2020 at all. It seems to be based on Cortex only. I have got the same vision with Ipad 5th near the pool as I had with Ipad Pro yesterday. So it just takes pictures, combines them in 360 and uses Cortex no matter if Ipad has LiDar or not.

However I noticed a huge difference between using the app with Ipad 5th and Ipad Pro 2020.

The first scan is almost identical but the second scan on Ipad 5th landed in a wrong spot. I had that problem with Ipad Pro but it started doing it after 4-5th scan only. With the Ipad 5th it started doing it straight away.

Second, it looks super buggy on Ipad 5th gen, taking multiple pictures in one spot sometime, taking pictures half turn and basically it can take pictures anytime where they do not need to be taken and stop taking pictures before it should finish.

And third it is super slow with taking pictures and even slower in processing on the Ipad 5th.

Good thing though, It seems to be less problematic to do a 360 on Ipad Pro and let Cortex to convert it automatically. Even with a Pro2 it is usually going wrongly from a start, with the Ipad Pro 2020 it may go wrong only later.

And I like that Matterport has added an extra feature to fix a scan place in a model after 3D conversion and then let your re-align it. I do remember a lot of cases with my Pro2 when I put a 360 in one spot, converted it to 3D and it moved to the wrong place within a model. And usually it did not help to re-do it, it always had its own mind in terms where it should belong to. Now it just sticks to a spot you place it on and then you can re-align and it will stay at the spot.

So the Ipad LiDAR thing is probably not in use now. The question is, is it ever going to be used by Matterport? I get that it is not matching a resolution for a point cloud as it is for in built into Matterport cameras IR but it still should be assisting to generate mesh in Sunlight. If you ask me I would prefer a low resolution mesh outside that 3D scans can stick to opposed to no mesh because a Matterport camera is blind with sunlight.
Post 15 IP   flag post
RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
Man it's been a LONG time since I have posted here - but I am finding my way back now as a concerted effort!

I just wanted to post to this thread as well - I just did a small test myself, I wanted to compare the iPad Pro 2020 with the iPone 11 Pro Max as both a test of the seemingly Cortex driven scan as well as the qualitative differences between tablet and phone. I did these quickly, and I did them hand held - interesting stitching. I agree with Wingman, empirically speaking either the LiDAR is not being leveraged at all, or it is and is implemented very poorly. In fact, I have found that the iPhone withOUT the LiDAR has been consistently a bit better and knowing where it and appropriately grafting. I figured I would share the results with everyone whom may be interested.

I was surprised by a few things:

1. Given the potential for LiDAR use I expected much better alignment. As you can see, the iPhone Pro 11 Max did a significantly better job with the alignment.
2. The stitching,well, I had already played with it hand held, and wow. It looks like I had a bottle of Tequila before getting on site given how the pre-processing looked, and then the post-processed images later.
3. I expected the iPhone to wax the floor in low light scan performance, and in general IQ-wise. While they are pretty darn close, I almost think the iPad IQ was better... both were grainy in a not-very-low-light site.

I will do a more detailed test sometime soon, but for now I figured why not show preliminary testing.

I also hope that this helps some of our community whom have seemed very concerned about this move and the impact on we MSP Pro II users see that there really is not much to worry about.

Now to shake off my Forum cobwebs...

Scans:

and

Post 16 IP   flag post
101723 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?