Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppiOSiPadiPhoneMatterport SmartPhone CaptureQuestion of the Day

Question of the Day: Please share a Matterport Capture iOS App Created Tour11785

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Monday, 4 May 2020:

Please share a Matterport 3D Tour created ONLY with the Matterport Capture iOS App

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

✓ Video 1 of 3: Getting started with Matterport Capture (iOS) App
✓ Video 2 of 3: How to capture 3D scans via Matterport Capture (iOS) App
✓ Video 3 of 3: How to Edit 3D Scans Captured with Matterport Capture iOS App

--

New! Matterport Capture iOS App 4.0: Scan with your iPhone or iPad
Matterport CEO RJ Pittman: Matterport Brings 3D Capture to the iPhone
✓ WGAN Forum Discussions Tagged: Matterport SmartPhone Capture

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
iPhone 7:

I just recently got an iPhone 11 Pro max but, I haven't had a chance to capture a space on it yet
Post 2 IP   flag post
DaK private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I just downloaded the app and did a couple of scans not worth sharing. I don't think this is any kind of game changer or anything to "worry" about for that matter.

Capture was pretty straight forward and very simple but I have to imagine doing anything over 2,000 sqft would not be a fun experience. Maybe if you mounted it on a tripod and manually spun it around you would be ok. The small room I did didn't seem to be very accurate (room was skewed on 3 attempts) and if you're the type of person that has to get (almost) every black area of the space for a complete model, this is probably not for you... haha..

And as you can see on lilnitch's example the nadir is pretty large. I did a 12x12 room from the center of the room in my home and the blur covered about 2.5' up the wall from the floor and down from the ceiling. Made it look like you had tunnel vision and only the center was focused if that makes sense. I'm 6'3 so maybe where I held the phone affected things, not sure.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DaK

There are two different capture options for iOS a single ring and a triple ring the triple ring has less of a Nidar & Zenith patch than the single ring capture
Post 4 IP   flag post
I see. The "complete scan" option. I'll give that a try.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DaK

Sorry I was in the beta ~ they renamed them to "Simple" & "Complete"
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DaK

Related WGAN Forum discussion:

Matterport Capture App + Tripod + Rotator + Capture Automation: Up Next?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DaK

Related WGAN Forum discussions:

Video 1 of 3: Getting started with Matterport Capture (iOS) App
Video 2 of 3: How to capture 3D scans via Matterport Capture (iOS) App
Video 3 of 3: How to Edit 3D Scans Captured with Matterport Capture iOS App

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Yep, that definitely helped the nadir and helped with holes in the mesh but now I'll lower my square footage fun meter as it triples the spinning. LOL. I'm sure it will get better since it was just released but I think I'll stick with the regular camera for now.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
This isn't my model this is another shooter out of AZ I was helping out this morning. This was shot with an iPhone 11 Pro max though the quality is almost reminiscent of the Insta360 One X as far as noise is concerned

Post 10 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
here's the thing...

The Zillow 3D app allows iOS captures. We tried it once, for about 20 minutes. Had all kinds of troubles, and gave up.

This is likely a complete non-starter as a commercial product, and a Realtor would have to be extremely patient to do a whole house.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@lilnitsch

That's excellent! Free app + iPhone 11 Pro Max

thanks for sharing.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
pguerreiro private msg quote post Address this user
I guess that with a Nodal Ninja Monopode, you can get very good results, concerning to the stitching issues... however is going to be needed to take about 30 photos to get the 360º.

The simple scan (aka, panorama) tooks me 12 photos to complet, and i suppose the complete scan it takes 3 times more. And for a property with 200 scans.....
Post 13 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch

Thanks for sharing these iphone 3D tours.

This has nothing to do with a Matterport model. Stitching errors everywhere, holes in the mesh, dollhouse looks like fire damage.

Horrible experience!
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I am holding mine in a portrait mode and one row in complex scan takes 14 photos. Three rows will be 42.

I think on a simple scan it is just 6.

However they are captured quite quickly, I think you can do 6 in about 12 seconds.

May be need to try a complex and a simple one in a landscape mode.

I believe with a complex scan you will get a resolution of Matterport pro 2 and with a rotator you will get rid of most stitching problems.

I will Need to get an Ipad holder to try it with a nodal head. I have one, it is weird but it may be even possible to set a nodal point close to Ipad Pro 2020 lens with my head.

Dan, if you want to move my test scans with Ipad Pro 2020 from the thread at https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/11789/page/1/media-release-matterport-brings-3d-capture-to-the-iphone/#13 to this one that may give others some ideas how it works outdoor with a LiDAR equiped Ipad. If fact I am very pleased apart from some problems with missing scans in the processed tour.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise
here's the thing...

The Zillow 3D app allows iOS captures. We tried it once, for about 20 minutes. Had all kinds of troubles, and gave up.

This is likely a complete non-starter as a commercial product, and a Realtor would have to be extremely patient to do a whole house.

It is actually quite tiresome to capture that way and most agents will just give up on it. Plus imagine what stitching errors they will produce without a clear understanding how 360 should be captured to avoid stitching errors.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Wingman

Agreed. I think on a first glance some agents may say: "hey, that's good enough" until they scan a home & see how much time it takes and realize that the quality is not awesome. Just like some agents takes photos with their smart phones.

I wish Matterport would implement a "Shot with..." label on each of the tours to let the general public know which Camera was used to create a tour. I had made this request back when the 360 camera support was just coming on

This came across one of the groups I moderate this morning:

Post 17 IP   flag post
101428 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?