Getting started with Matterport Capture App (iOS) Part 1

Video 1 of 3: Getting started with Matterport Capture - a 3D camera app for iPhone and iPad - Part 1 | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 2 May 2020 | Matterport Content Marketing Manager Amir Frank

HI All,

From the Matterport YouTube Channel: Part 1 of 3

Now, all you need is your iPhone or iPad to experience the power of [the Matterport] groundbreaking 3D platform. Easily turn any space into a stunning and immersive digital twin. Then share with friends, family, and colleagues to let them into your world!

In this video, you'll learn:

✓ Where to go to sign up and get the app
✓ How to toggle between 3D scan and 360 capture
✓ The difference between Simple Scan and Complete Scan settings

Watch More

Part 1: Getting started with Matterport Capture - a 3D camera app for iPhone and iPad
Part 2: How to capture 3D scans on your iPhone or iPad using the Matterport Capture app
Part 3: How to edit 3D scans that were captured using the Matterport Capture iOS app

Get Started with Matterport Capture: a 3D Camera App for iPhone and iPad

Download

Matterport Capture iOS App

Matterport Capture App Allows You to:

✓ Share your Matterport 3D virtual tour with your friends, family and colleagues
✓ Share on social and messaging platforms with a Matterport-generated URL
✓ Sit back and relax, with automatic image processing, color correction, and face blurring
✓ Guide viewers around by highlighting features in your space with MatterTags and Labels
✓ Add measurements to your 3D capture to accurately size the space

Find Out More About the Matterport 3D Camera App for iPhone or iPad: Here

Get More Support Using the App: Matterport Support

---
Source: Matterport YouTube Channel
----

Transcript (video above)

- Hey, everybody, thanks so much for joining us today.

This is going to be a three-part series where I'll be explaining how to use your iPhone or iPad to capture a 3D model with Matterport. Before we get started, I just wanted to point out that in the description below, we're going to have links to the other two videos in this three-part series, as well as links to additional information in FAQ articles.

So here's a list of things that you're going to need to capture a 3D model with your iPhone. First thing is either an iPhone or iPad.

If you're using the iPhone it's going to be the six S or newer. If you're on the iPad, it can be the Air 2 or newer, but if you're using either an iPhone or iPad with the extra wide angle lens, which is going to be the iPhone 11 or newer, or the new iPad Pro, there is a little bit of a benefit to that, and I'll get to that later.

You're also going to need a Matterport account, so if you don't already have one, it's really easy. Just go to Buy.Matterport.com. It's free. You can sign up with only your name and email address, and lastly, of course, you're going to need the Matterport Capture app, so go to the App Store and search for Matterport.

You'll find Matterport Capture. Just download and install that. Once you've got all that, just go ahead and launch the Capture app.

At this point, you can sign into your account. You can either do that now, or you can do that prior to uploading your model. Either way, before you upload the model, you'll have to sign into your Matterport account via the app.

Once you're past the sign-in process, the application is going to download Cortex. Now, this is the engine that automatically converts your 2D panoramas captured with your phone into a 3D model, so this is very important.

It might take a little bit of time. It totally depends on your internet connection, but it is worth it, and once Cortex is installed, you are ready to go, so at this point, I'm just going to go ahead and hit the + button in the bottom right corner to create a new model.

The address automatically comes up, and I can choose to either edit that address if it's not exactly correct, or I can scroll down and just enter the name of the model that I'd like to have. Hit save, and our model is created, and I'm ready to do my first scan.

Before we actually get to capturing the model, which I'll show you in the next video, I just want to point out a couple buttons around the capture button itself.

You'll notice just above the Capture button is a button that currently says iPhone, and that's because I don't have any other camera connected, so this becomes my default Capture device.

So if I tap iPhone, just above the Capture button, you'll notice that appears a small menu that allows me to choose between the iPhone being my capture device, or a different camera. The other thing I wanted to bring to your attention is the Options button.

If I tap that, up comes a small menu. It allows me to choose between 3D Scans, and 360 Capture.

There's a lot of information at Support.Matterport.com that covers the differences between those two so I won't get into that here, but I just wanted to let you know, if you did need to change to a 360 Capture, this is where it would be done, and the other thing, and this is really important, is whether you capture a simple scan, or a complete scan.

As you can see by these icons, the simple scan is just one ring around, and I'll have a little bit more on the top and bottom that's going to be blurred, but the complete scan completes more of the 360 sphere, and allows me to seal out more in the end.

Because I'm capturing three 360-degree rings, it's going to be a little bit more time consuming, but the result will be a little bit more complete, as well. In this case, I'm going to keep it on Simple Scan.

Again, this is because I have the extra wide angle lens in my iPhone 11, so if you do have that, like I said before, it's going to be a little bit of an advantage for this reason. With that in mind, we are ready to scan, so check out video number two, and I'll go ahead and scan this makeshift home office into a 3D model.