Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CommentaryMatterport Competes with MSPs

Matterport Recruiting Matterport Service Providers to Compete with MSPs11456

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab of eBlast sent to Matterport Service Providers [likely in Target Markets]

Matterport Recruiting Matterport Service Providers to Compete with MSPs

Hi All,

Above is the eBlast sent by Matterport Marketing today (Thursday, 9 April 2020) to recruit Matterport Service Providers to compete with Matterport Service Providers.

Thursday, Apr 16 from 8:00 - 9:00 am PST / 11:00 - Noon EST / 3:00 - 4:00 pm GMT.

Matterport Register Now Link

Below is a screen grab of the landing page that this link goes to.

Your thoughts?

By the way ...

I could imagine that Matterport will say that it's not competing with Matterport Service Providers because large accounts would not engage MSPs individually and that this business is only possible because Matterport is handling it directly.

I would not object if this was a 3rd party company or agency that was recruiting Matterport Service Providers for projects because they are not the same company that sells the camera and sets the rates for processing, hosting, publishing to Google Street View, 2D schematic floor plans and likely other services in the future.)

Plus, Matterport IS establishing benchmark pricing of what MSPs are getting paid. Never mind that Matterport is excluding the process, hosting, etc. because ... potential clients will just see the Matterport pricing and soon MSPs will be asked by their client to honor the pricing that Matterport is paying you.)

When Uber started out, they only offered rides form limo drivers. Eventually, Uber offered service from all drivers; thus, competing with those it said it would originally help.

Thanks,

Dan

----

Screen grab of the Matterport landing page for its Matterport Register Now link in the eBlast above

---

Body Text of eBlast

Last November, we announced that we were working with fellow MSPs and customers across industries to explore more efficient ways to support the growth we foresaw for scanning services. At that time, we projected that the demand for high-fidelity, professional scans would continue to rise among businesses and consumers in 2020.

The COVID-19 outbreak has accelerated the rollout of this new program to meet the urgent need for Matterport 3D scans from enterprise customers with regional or national reach.

We’re excited to tell you all about the new scan services program and answer any questions you will most certainly have.

Please join us on Thursday, Apr 16 from 8:00 - 9:00 am PST / 11:00 - Noon EST / 3:00 - 4:00 pm GMT.

We look forward to seeing you on the 16th to share the opportunities ahead of us.

--

eMail confirmation for attending this event
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Safe bet that Matterport will block me from attending this event?

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Garnetwest private msg quote post Address this user
They can't block you Dan...you are "the man"!! But they probably will turn off comments and moderate all questions.... cause they gotta know what's coming!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
foxwrth13 private msg quote post Address this user
Good customer relationships are the key to beating something like this in my opinion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't there some way we (as MSP's) could band together to stop this?
After all wouldn't they (Matterport) be sunk if no MSP would work for them.. they can't do it themselves as they are not distributed as we are, plus we have the thousands of cameras and experience they anticipate will do this work.

Time for concerted action (inaction)?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
@Noddy....the demand is too high ..esp now. And they know this which is why they are accelerating the program.but I see what you are saying...what if we all said NO to them??? I'm juts guessing there are too many MSPs now and they will find someone. Personally I have been scanning for them for years now...I don't want to lose the business I have been getting from them, so there is that...I just worry about having them steal clients from me with this program. Bound to happen...and trust me...they will know when that does happen and I WILL negotiate in that scenario
Post 6 IP   flag post
realeshots private msg quote post Address this user

Screenshot from their Matterport Official User Group on FB.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelray
@Noddy....the demand is too high ..esp now. And they know this which is why they are accelerating the program.but I see what you are saying...what if we all said NO to them??? I'm juts guessing there are too many MSPs now and they will find someone. Personally I have been scanning for them for years now...I don't want to lose the business I have been getting from them, so there is that...I just worry about having them steal clients from me with this program. Bound to happen...and trust me...they will know when that does happen and I WILL negotiate in that scenario

What sort of spaces do you do for them?
Post 8 IP   flag post
BrokerBruce private msg quote post Address this user
Well Dan you called it several weeks ago.

I'm a Realtor® and just use Matterport for my own listings. I've considered selling my camera for awhile now. If the second part of your forecast comes thru, termination of classic pricing, I'm going to end up with a very expensive paperweight.

This reminds me of the housing recession of '08 when agents were doing Broker Price Opinions (BPO's) for next to nothing just to have some income coming in. The assest management companies used us to avoid paying appraisers but they wanted nearly all the work an appraiser would normally do for an appraisal and charged their clients the 500. or so for an appraisal instead of the 60. they were paying us. Eventually a majority of us said that's it we're not doing it anymore. Matterport is looking for cheap labor but I'm sure what they will charge the customer will come with a hefty, hefty mark-up. Sooner or later, those that sign up for this will say, that's it not doing it anymore.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
@noddy

I have been doing mostly apartment complexes for them for quite a few years now. The pay scale has never been good. But the volume has been fairly decent. I've also done some other odds and ends jobs for them. So to me this program isn't anything new. It's been happening for quite a while. But it appears that they are going to expand it tremendously.

Actually who they are going after for jobs is new. For quite a while there they were only going after multifamily and large property management companies.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
I do apartment complexes now. Makes me sick that new competitor will be Matteport itself. What were they paying? If you're allowed to say
Post 11 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
There are a good Matterport operators and bad ones.

The proof is in the pudding.

If they pay peanuts, they get monkeys.

Low fees will attract a mixed bag of talent, increase demand on support and overload the current customer service person when things need fixing. This is not an overnight skill you pick up from an online course or cheat sheet.

There will be some damaging brand embarrassments as novices buy cameras with a free license of ‘scan-to-shoot’. (Sorry for the Bond 007 pun).

It could damage the brand overall and also effect professional, diligent operators if poor capture becomes the standard output of this model, thereby effecting Pros who do it for a living.

In my opinion there will be natural selection made by the buyer of who is a good Matterport operator and who is a bad one.

This may require evidence of:

- no. of scans completed
- proof of work scale (60 scans or 400 on one site?)
- testimonials
Etc etc

Matterport don’t know me from Adam doing his first one ever.

Time will tell.

My advice - Focus on your own brand, not the tool that defines it.

Best,

Angus
Post 12 IP   flag post
Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
Well, their customer service hasn't been the best. When I was purchasing my camera and hosting they were right there, johnny on the spot. Afterwards, any response I got from my rep was very curt and damn near close to one answer to my questions.

I've been struggling a bit trying to land business in my area. I looked into becoming a MSP but I was told that they had closed the program. So I wonder what happened for them to reinstate it?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Shawn_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_P
I looked into becoming a MSP but I was told that they had closed the program. So I wonder what happened for them to reinstate it?

Prediction: Matterport to Cancel Matterport Service Partners (MSP) Program
✓ WGAN Forum Tag: Matterport Competes with MSPs

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Just
Say
NO!!!!

If there’s no one to shoot... then the issue is over until they figure out another way to hurt us
Post 15 IP   flag post
ahagert private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the day I managed national brands such as Oscar Mayer, Planters Peanuts among others. I also was the VP of marketing for a fin-tech company that needed investor funding. What I learned is that it all boils down to the profit you can deliver to your investors. Yes you try to maintain the brand equity, but at the end of the day the brand will loose to benefit the investors.

When we were trying to find investors for the fin-tech company, the valuation was heavily influenced by the number of users linked to our service. Access to users data = money.

If I was the CEO of Matterport, I would be doing exactly what he is doing. The value of the company will only continue to increase by increasing the number of his users. When he made the statement that they are a "data company", it set the stage for how they will measure success. I doubt that they monitor brand metrics, that is why they don´t care who they hire to conduct scans and what the end result will look like (agree with Imagineer/Angus on this).

Matterport is under direct attack from all the other platforms popping up. They need to leverage the brand equity they currently have and try to grab share from everybody else trying to break into the business.

In summary, they dont care that our feelings are hurt. They dont care nor give credit to the folks who built the business for them up to this point.

This is business, data is the name of the game, they need to churn more data through their system to increase their value and make their investors happy so that they get to stick around.

As to what could hurt them? Making investors realize that this speed to market will eventually dilute their brand, overall goals.

You cannot have it all. As the saying goes, do you want the fast nickle or the slow dime. They are in a fast spiral to commoditize their offering. They are chasing the nickle.

The CEO forgot about his days in Apple and Google, where the brand meant something. He is now managing by leveraging what he learned at ebay. You need millions of eyeballs and as long as you get a share of that business you are considered a success.

The good news for us providers is that there are many other options popping up.

What we need is a concerted effort to capture our collective learnings on other platforms. We do not individually need to reinvent the wheel on this every time.

The objective would be: How as a community do we test and identify the platform that will replace Matterport? (imagine Matterport folds tomorrow- what would you use to save your business)? How do we split up the work to get that answer as a collective group.

Then Dan needs to get us a killer deal as we all transition to the new platform!
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
@3dvuz...that sounds good in theory, but there is always someone willing to make money. MP has kind of become to big to fail imo in this space. I just don't know many of us that would say no to business. Now, I am currently typing up a response to them about the day I get a job from them where that job involves one of my long time clients...I am asking them to increase their payout in that scenario. I think they should come up with a quick way for them to verify such a relationship and then be willing to work with us on a different payout. I think that would be fair. I'm definitely going to ask for it.

@foxwrth13

I'm not comfortable giving the exact numbers here. And they have a strang payout system...for example if you return to a property after you have been there before, the payout is lower. Always has rubbed me the wrong way.. as I'm guessing they have a fixed price to the customer for all scans. But they pay more per scan on a first visit. Look, their pay rates are not great. But I can tell you this, I have been contacted by people in this forum that offer lower payouts than matterport does.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
@pixelray

Did you ever shoot at Brooks Towers? I used to live there
Post 18 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by angusnorriss
There are a good Matterport operators and bad ones.

The proof is in the pudding.

If they pay peanuts, they get monkeys.
My advice - Focus on your own brand, not the tool that defines it.

Best,

Angus

Well said Sir. It is true that clients are not buying Matterport they are buying you and get value that you bring them. They don't care what the solutions name is a long as you give them the best product and service. And this is so true as I know a very big MSP in the US that has stopped mentioning the Matterport name in their branding or advertising as the clients are buying them and not the "virtual tour" solution. Makes you think. Also customers dont care what solution you give them.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

eBlast received Wednesday, 15 April 2020.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

eBlast received Thursday, 16 April 2020.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

eBlast received noon ET today, Friday, 17 April 2020

Hi All,

I (just) received the Matterport expression of Interest eBlast about joining the Matterport Capture Services program.

This is what the email looks like (above).

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Tried to register but gives an error the whole time when you have to enter your website address , tried Http and www. not working. Anyone else getting the errors?
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab of successfully completed Matterport Capture Services - Interest Form

@Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
@DanSmigrod Tried to register but gives an error the whole time when you have to enter your website address , tried Http and www. not working. Anyone else getting the errors?

While I am not eligible - we have a Matterport Pro1 3D Camera - not a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera - I went ahead and completed/submitted the form successfully.

You can see my responses above.

Best,

Dan
Post 24 IP   flag post
Garnetwest private msg quote post Address this user
I received the invite and was able to successfully register.
Post 25 IP   flag post
036360 private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a website to sign up or is this by invitation only?
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@036360

Try msp@matterport.com

Dan
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

From moug ...

Dan
Post 28 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Wow!!! Maybe put this in a new thread. As nobody has time to go on the censored MOUG forum. Too many brainwashed sheep on there.
Post 29 IP   flag post
101637 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?