Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport Competes with MSPs

Latest low blow from Matterport11450

Lugano, Switzerland
lucadeal private msg quote post Address this user
Hello WGAN community,

here's what us MSP in Switzerland have received this morning from Matterport:

Dear Mr......

During this difficult time due to the Coronavirus affecting business in Switzerland, we are doing everything we can to increase business for you once this period is over and so Matterport has partnered directly with large international enterprises who wish to have Matterport scans in Switzerland.

These enterprise businesses would like to do thousands of scans per year, but it is too difficult, expensive and time consuming for them to work directly with hundreds of Matterport Photographers individually. For this reason they are partnered directly with Matterport and we are looking for Matterport photographers to work as contractors for Matterport directly to fulfil these scans.

There is no acquisition cost for you to receive these jobs, and we have a fully automated system to manage scheduling around your other work as well as payments. We also handle all the administration costs and do all the hosting and post production ourselves so all you need to do is scan properties as they are requested and upload them to our account.

Below we have produced a compensation structure which when calculated as an hourly wage is both fair for photographers and affordable for large enterprises who do thousands of jobs per year around Switzerland. While this may be lower than you would usually charge, we please ask you to remember that there is no cost to acquiring this business and it is designed to fit around your other work as supplemental income.

0-200m2 - 2 hours capturing - 100 €
201-300m2 - 2.5 hours capturing - 135 €
301-400m2 - 3 hours capturing - 170 €
401-500m2 - 3.5 hours capturing - 205 €
501-600m2 - 4 hours capturing - 240 €
601+ m2 - € 240 + 0.35/m2

We have also created local legal contracts in German which we will share with you once you have confirmed your interest in capturing on behalf of Matterport, for the above partners but also for many other international enterprise companies.

If you are interested to know more please respond to this email and we will send you updated contracts in German as well as request some basic information from you.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Matterport Scan Services

--

Now, I've been working with Matterport since 2016 capturing around 800 spaces, the costs of living here in Switzerland are among the highest of the planet and my price has always been € 400 upto 200m2, exceeding m2 calculated €2.00 /m2

I know that I'm offering one of the lowest price on the market here, just to give you an idea of how it works around here.

I've been considering switching system for a while now, testing many other platforms, this is just another push for me to move out of Matterport as soon as I can.

This is, in my opinion, completely unfair and offensive for anyone's professionalism and dignity, taking advantage of the desperation that this pandemic is spreading. Shame on you, Matterport!

Luca De Alberti, MSP since 2016
---

Post 1 IP   flag post
webtemps private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Luca,

"I've been considering switching system for a while now, testing many other platforms, this is just another push for me to move out of Matterport as soon as I can"

What currently is your favourite alternative to matterport. I have locked at a lot of platforms as well, but could not find anything that gives me the same user experience and quality i see from matterport.

I just bought a pro2 as they were on sale until 31st of March. My camera is on the way but I am still thinking of using the 30 day Money back option.

Always thought that they restricted the scanning serviceto the US and would not advertise this in Germany or Switzerland. The rates they offer are a joke. No one can live on this here in Germany, let alone Switzerland (I live close to the border to Switzerland so I know what you are talking about).

Would be great to hear back from you.

best regards
Leif
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@lucadeal It is too bad.
I suggest @DanSmigrod to make a statistics within WGAN.
Maybe we can make a worldwide map to see how many countries that Matterport want to rule on the earth.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Kumar private msg quote post Address this user
MP MUST EMPLOY all service providers ON FIXED SCALE and workout at wishful prices.

The service providers are paid (paid to MP) marketing and sales agents, to my knowledge may be the only company on planet to have such bold and ethic-less approach in the open.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
So that pay scale is lower than here! Ouch!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucadeal
601 m2 - € 240 0.35/m2

Above annotated in US Dollars, using this currency conversation calculator on 9 April 2020:

201-300m2 - 2.5 hours capturing - 135 € / 2,153-3,229 SQ FT - $147 [$0.046]
301-400m2 - 3 hours capturing - 170 € / 3,239-4,306 SQ FT - $186 [$0.0432]
401-500m2 - 3.5 hours capturing - 205 € / 4,316-5,382 SQ FT - $224 [$0.042]
501-600m2 - 4 hours capturing - 240 € / 5,393-6,458 SQ FT - $262 [$0.041]
601 m2 - € 240 0.35/m2 / 6,469 SQ FT $262 + $0.035 per SQ FT

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
If all MSPs say no, Matterport will not have any one to contract. A worldwide No Thank You is in order here.
Post 7 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
Those rates are ridiculous! The people that set up these programs have no idea how long it takes to do a good scan. 6,458 sq. ft. for $262.00 is an insult and would take longer than 4 hrs.! Pure greed!
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Cairo, Egypt
AhmedAttia private msg quote post Address this user
Guys, that’s ridiculous. Spending 4 hrs scanning for 240Euro. This is like an employee in a company having a silly salary which for sure will not pay his bills. All of us should refuse and search for other players in the market.
@ Dan, what are your thoughts ?
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedAttia
@ Dan, what are your thoughts ?

Here are my thoughts on Matterport competing with Matterport Service Providers:

Matterport Shoots Self in Foot Again (and Matterport Service Providers)
Will Matterport Scan Services Eviscerate Matterport Service Providers?
Prediction: Matterport to Cancel Matterport Service Partners (MSP) Program
Prediction: Matterport to End Classic Pricing by 31 December 2020

Here are related WGAN Forum discussions:

Matterport recruiting Pro Service Providers to compete against indepen..
Should Matterport be in the Business of Buying Scans from MSPs?
Matterport contacting your clients to sell them cameras

Hi All,

What are your thoughts (on this discussion and the related WGAN Forum discussions above)?

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
UBERPORT 3D has arrived.

This is not a change in principle for Matterport, we know that in our hearts. These are the same values they have always had. There is only one solution, which Gandhi knew best. Stop doing all Matterport scans until the company ceases, totally, all work booked through itself.

Right now, I expect a small percentage of scans are done through Matterport's direct booking. If we all stop, it will hurt. As directly-booked scans grow, it will no longer hurt them, only we MSPs and the poor workers who are chained to Matterport as Uber drivers.

If you never saw the moving 1982 film "Gandhi" starring Ben Kingsley, see it. If you saw it, watch it again. One of the finest films of the last half century. Mahatma Gandhi defeated the British empire because he was resolute, and a lawyer who understood the English legal system. We understand Matterport, they are in the exact same position as the British were, and they can only be pressured by we, who must make the choice whether we are willing to be reduced to Uber drivers, who have NO control over what they are paid.

I have more thoughts, but let's make this an active discussion. I am serious.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Spring, TX
Photography360 private msg quote post Address this user
My question would be how much is Matterport charging these companies? I am sure it is way more than the amounts they are offering!
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Home3D There are plenty untold stories behind the end result - better not dare
Post 13 IP   flag post
@pixelray - of course not, it has to be matching the standards of respective region.
Post 14 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
UBERPORT 3D has arrived.

Love the analogy! But unfortunately, as with Uber drivers (who know they are losing money offering Uber services), there will be people wiling to do Matterport scans for cheaper than minimum wage... Just like they are people doing photo-shoots for $65CAD in my area!! Stop using Matterport altogether might be the option.

I just received an email from Matterport : "Learn About Our New Scan Services Program"
I registered to the "event" - I was also asked if I wanted to ask a question... here's what I sent :

Why are you always trying to bypass the MSP and sell directly to our clients (by promoting how easy and cheap it is to buy and operate a camera), instead of helping us do more scans (from which you end up winning much more in the long run)? We've been offering Matterport tours since late 2015, and we're losing faith in the company more and more with new "great announcement" you have.

I have the feeling they will not address this question/statement

Matt
Post 15 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Well, we could join this program and [redacted] every scan ordered directly via Matterport. 🖕

Optimize the job down to those rates. Do not care about quality at all.

Black holes in dollhouse? No problem!
Why use markers?
The nice extra view? Not necessary!
Post 16 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
Question: How are these rates different (better or worse) than what IFTI is offering area operators in the US? As well, just based on "back of napkin" calcs, these prices appear to remove our typical profit margin, which depending on your model probably runs somewhere between 40% and 100%. For me, there prices run a range of -39% to a low of -49% (larger job to smaller job).

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment, but how much do you have have baked into your pricing for those workflow items that are done during and after the shoot that you wouldn't have to do on one of these shoots?

Do you currently shoot more scans because you pull stills out of the scans? Do you include a highlight reel, the guided tour, or MatterTags in your typical Matterport space? How long does it take to handle those items before you can delivery the assets to your client?

My average space is 3,200sf, which at prices being offered, I would be paid about $149USD. Calculated per square foot, I currently charge $270USD retail for this work, including a $35 trip charge. At 1 scan/40sf, that is 80 scans (no exterior 360's). I move a little slower these days, so this is 80 scans x 1.25 minutes = 100 minutes, or 1.67 hours on site. Add my 30 minute trip charge to this and the total would calculate to be 2.17 hours, which at their offer rate, yields $68.66/hour. My current shop rate is $80, which forms the basis for my entire rate card. For me, is what they are asking worth a price reduction of 14.2% to not have to advertise to get this work, do no more than upload the space and avoid paying for processing and hosting fees, etc.?

It might be!
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@bryanhscott - I don't know where you're based, but the cost of living in Los Angeles is much higher than most of the country. I don't believe Matterport cares and has created a sliding scale based on COL. So in markets like LA, the only option for a professional with a family is to quit Matterport.
Post 18 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D Strongly agree! According to BestPlaces.net, which among others, tracks cost of living indexes throughout the country, with 100 being PAR, Denver (where I am) is 128.7 and Los Angeles is shown as 173.3, so on balance, that means a 34.7% increase from Denver to LA.

I don't know one way or another, but if Matterport plans to offer the same contract rates to LA, SF, NYC, etc., as they do in Little Rock AR, or Scooba MI, their initiative will never get off the ground in those markets. Same concept applies to IFTI and any other contractor using subs to do the field work.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

601+ m2 - € 240 + 0.35/m2

These rates are ridiculous.

You cannot scan (luxury) properties at these super-discount-rates.

Owners are often complicated. Luxury homes can be complicated. And brokers can be super-complicated, too.

MSPs need experience, skill and personality to deliver them a good experience and a quality product. Matterport is often just a part of this product.

I have the impression, that since Matt Bell left Matterport, there is no one in the management team, who has actually scanned and edited himself. They are not experienced. They don't know, how to produce a quality 3D tour. And this is why RJ Pittman is not listening to his clients, simply because he does not understand the questions.

Instead of significantly updating and improving the Matterport platform RJ Pittman is sending out shockwaves to MSPs worldwide in regular intervals.

Is there anyone in this forum, who would recommend Matterport as a reliable business partner? Does anyone like the new business model? Would you say, that you can trust Matterport?

I know that I know nothing. But I know, that my client is the one who pays my invoices. MSPs worldwide are paying Matterport's invoices. We make 100% of the cash flow from operations in this company.

Pittman's decision to compete with his clients will be ruining the company.

I hope there is someone out there who will stop him.

If not, we will see Matterport burst like a balloon.

I will definitely diversify my business.

And I will not buy another Matterport camera. My next investment will probably be a motorized pano-head.

(Fast) motorized pano-head + reality capture or agisoft software + 3D Vista = 3D tour with dollhouse and floorplan
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@MeshImages - I agree fully.

From the beginning, it seems this has been Matterport's plan. Get enough "drivers" to buy their Uberport cameras. Be sure to limit the system to whatever is simple and automatic like processing. Don't give the 'drivers' extras like retouching panos or self-editing mesh - things which would highlight their indivitual skills and professionalism. Make it simple vanilla. Be sure they're equipped only as footsoldiers with wooden swords. Then send them into battle against one another on price, figuring many will perish but a few will survive to scan-on, even if at a rudimentary level. It's a numbers game.

Does anyone else wish to challenge them? Say for the next month we all cease Matterport scanning in solidarity? They are still dependent on us, as Uber is on their drivers. What will the C-Suite decide to do if it is THEIR survival on the line instead of ours? Matterport has investors who will not be happy if we stop for a month.

It's hard but the alternative, over time, with be harder.
Anyone interested?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Home3D unfortunately I cannot stop for a month. We have expensive monthly hosting plans.

Its the question MP2 camera = doorstop or not?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Don't get me wrong, I think Matterport Scan Services can be positive and a great business opportunity for all experienced MSPs worldwide.

But not at these rates and these conditions.

What I would need to join this program are the following contractual requirements:

1) at least double or triple these scan rates

2) an exclusive deal for a period of at least 3 years (depreciation time for a MP camera or a blk360)

3) an exclusive, defined and binding contractual service area

4) a guaranteed job volume per month or per quarter. With growing guaranteed job volumes the rates under 1) can be adjusted.

5) an open network, so we can also set up cooperations with international Matterport Scan Partners

6) the right to trade these contractual rights (maybe in combination with the equipment).
Post 23 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D This is what I have been saying. Every MSP stop scanning NOW. They cannot dictate our pricing anymore enough is enough. http://realestate.matterport.com , and what sup with the website I just got sent a link from an agency I have been doing work for. Again Matterport contact our customers from the tours. I also see Matterport has stopped commenting on this forum. Why? What are they so afraid of ? Looks like their new CEO must rather run for president they are all just hot air.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshImages
Well, we could join this program and [redacted] every scan ordered directly via Matterport. 🖕

Optimize the job down to those rates. Do not care about quality at all.

Black holes in dollhouse? No problem!
Why use markers?
The nice extra view? Not necessary!
I agree with you fully, this will be awesome. Just go in push the button, make it spin, go home upload, just add a Title and you are done. So edit under 1 min. Cant wait to get started on that.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

And I will not buy another Matterport camera. My next investment will probably be a motorized pano-head.

(Fast) motorized pano-head + reality capture or agisoft software + 3D Vista = 3D tour with dollhouse and floorplan

Just be careful that Matterport does not sue you for creating a Floor Plan or a "dollhouse" view with your new virtual tour solution. I don't know why they are not suing all the other Virtual Tour Companies but go after the one that is kicking their (redacted) (redacted) (redacted) . Their days are numbered.

I will also suggest we tart trolling their Facebook forum and start getting the truth out their, Matterport is not China and cant hide from our community and try to silence the MSP anymore.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@MeshImages Quote:
@Home3D unfortunately I cannot stop for a month. We have expensive monthly hosting plans.

Its the question MP2 camera = doorstop or not?
Think rather recycle it and we do our bit for the environment , just please never sell your Matterport cameras as we dont want to get anymore people invected with it. 😂
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Cairo, Egypt
AhmedAttia private msg quote post Address this user
Guys, I am with the idea to Jpi this program and just perform the basic work, scan, upload and deliver. But for sure these rates should be modified to be at least the double. Just something jumped to my mind now, would they allow only the MP camera/ BLK owners to join the program or also anyone using the small 360 cameras?

@ Dan Smigrod
Is it possible to have one official statement from the WGAN members summarizing our situation to be submitted in official formto Matterport?
Post 28 IP   flag post
@AhmedAttia I have the best way for all of us to make Millions $$$$ from this mess.

You need to follow these steps very carefully for this to work.

Step 1 : Go to ACE Hardware

Step 2 : Buy all the hammers they have for $8.99

Step 3 : Make a online shop for your new hammers

Step 4 : Take professional pictures of your hammers and do a write up

This is the most important step, don't mess this up.

Step 5 : Make your selling PRICE $3.99

Step 6 : Sit back and watch your millions roll in, you will be make more money this way than doing Matterport Tours and losing $$$$
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod

Screen Grab of eBlast sent to Matterport Service Providers [likely in Target Markets]

Matterport Recruiting Matterport Service Providers to Compete with MSPs

Hi All,

Above is the eBlast sent by Matterport Marketing today (Thursday, 9 April 2020) to recruit Matterport Service Providers to compete with Matterport Service Providers.

Thursday, Apr 16 from 8:00 - 9:00 am PST / 11:00 - Noon EST / 3:00 - 4:00 pm GMT.

Matterport Register Now Link

Below is a screen grab of the landing page that this link goes to.

Your thoughts?

By the way ...

I could imagine that Matterport will say that it's not competing with Matterport Service Providers because large accounts would not engage MSPs individually and that this business is only possible because Matterport is handling it directly.

I would not object if this was a 3rd party company or agency that was recruiting Matterport Service Providers for projects because they are not the same company that sells the camera and sets the rates for processing, hosting, publishing to Google Street View, 2D schematic floor plans and likely other services in the future.)

Plus, Matterport IS establishing benchmark pricing of what MSPs are getting paid. Never mind that Matterport is excluding the process, hosting, etc. because ... potential clients will just see the Matterport pricing and soon MSPs will be asked by their client to honor the pricing that Matterport is paying you.)

When Uber started out, they only offered rides form limo drivers. Eventually, Uber offered service from all drivers; thus, competing with those it said it would originally help.

Thanks,

Dan

----

Screen grab of the Matterport landing page for its Matterport Register Now link in the eBlast above

---

Body Text of eBlast

Last November, we announced that we were working with fellow MSPs and customers across industries to explore more efficient ways to support the growth we foresaw for scanning services. At that time, we projected that the demand for high-fidelity, professional scans would continue to rise among businesses and consumers in 2020.

The COVID-19 outbreak has accelerated the rollout of this new program to meet the urgent need for Matterport 3D scans from enterprise customers with regional or national reach.

We’re excited to tell you all about the new scan services program and answer any questions you will most certainly have.

Please join us on Thursday, Apr 16 from 8:00 - 9:00 am PST / 11:00 - Noon EST / 3:00 - 4:00 pm GMT.

We look forward to seeing you on the 16th to share the opportunities ahead of us.

--

eMail confirmation for attending this event
Post 30 IP   flag post
101636 41 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?