In this exploration, I'd like to share how you can use Siri voice commands to remotely control an interactive touch screen kiosk or just open a MP model on your iPhone / iPad.

iOS Shortcuts

Shortcuts in iOS let you automate sequences of actions so that you can perform them quickly with one tap on a shortcut icon or with a voice command issued to Siri. Android users should have an equivalent feature called Action Blocks.

The prototype in my video has been developed using Intuiface, which is a highly versatile authoring tool to create interactive touch screen installations. Here is an example that incorporates various media, including MP models.

Without getting too technical, the mechanics of this demo comes down to Siri recognizing my voice and looking for a matching shortcut with that name. Once a match is found, the URL is triggered, which is ultimately recognized by the kiosk app.

Let's create a simpler example aimed at opening a MP model on your device upon calling it via Siri. Here are the steps:
- On your iPhone, log in to your MP account, select a model and copy its public URL
- Launch the Shortcuts app > Create new shortcut > Add action > Apps > Safari > Open URLs
- A new shortcut is created > Tap the URL variable > Paste your MP public link
- Tap Next > Give the shortcut a unique name that Siri will be able to recognize > Save

Now test it by saying 'Hey Siri' followed by <your unique name>. Here are a couple of screenshots of what my Shortcuts app looks like after I named one of my MP links 'Living Computer Museum model'. Enjoy!