Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AppleARDepth DataLidarNews

New Apple iPad Pro includes a LiDAR scanner for depth sensing and AR11233

WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
I am really interested in the new iPad Pro

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: iPad Pro — Your next computer is not a computer — Apple | Video courtesy of Apple YouTube Channel (18 March 2020)

The Verge (18 March 2020) Apple announces new iPad Pro with trackpad support and a wild keyboard cover

Hi All,

"Both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes look identical to last year’s models, but there’s a new processor and new camera system inside them both. Apple’s headline feature is that it has a LIDAR scanner to go along with its camera for depth sensing and AR, but what most people are going to notice is that very new keyboard that you can get with it," says The Verge.

@lilnitsch

Did I mention that my birthday is coming up?

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab from Apple video (above post).

Hi All,

In this screen grab (above), you can see the LiDAR depth data visualization.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod my Birthday is the 26th

It will be interesting to see if Matterport or any other tour providers will take advantage of this LiDAR
Post 4 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
WOW...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
Aaaah damn, now I won't be able to say I have the newest iPad anymore !!!!!!!!

My GoFundMe site is ........
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
SPAR3D (18 March 2020) Lidar is the iPad Pro’s unexpected new feature

"Rather than sticking to depth-sensing cameras, Apple has incorporated a lidar sensor on board the iPad itself – a first for Apple," reports SPAR3D.

"Rather than using a third-party lidar, they seem to have developed their own proprietary version that they are simply referring to as “LiDAR Scanner.” It has a reported range of 5 meters [a little more than 16 feet], and “operates at the photon level at nanosecond speeds” which, one can assume means it is some flavor of the small lidar sensors that we’ve been hearing a lot about lately. The benefit of this range might be to fill in smaller, more detailed areas that larger-scale scans have difficult with," reports SPAR3D.

"With both Apple apps and third-party apps able to utilize this new depth mapping capability, I would not be surprised if we on the cusp of some major announcements from some of the bigger 3D scanning players about partnerships or new apps to take advantage of the sensor," says SPAR3D.

@lilnitsch

Seems like we should expect an announcement from Matterport? I could imagine that Matterport has been working closely with Apple to create a 3rd party scanning app?

"According to Apple, later this year, Shapr 3D, a professional CAD system based on Siemens Parasolid technology, will use the LiDAR Scanner to automatically generate an accurate 2D floor plan and 3D model of a room. New designs can then be previewed in real-world scale using AR right in the room you scanned," reports SPAR3D.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Seems to be a must have for us MSPs.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
In addition to the LiDAR scanning, check out the speed of the new iPad.

Seven Things Nobody Told You About The New iPad Pro

https://flip.it/EHzVmh

Be safe,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
From this WGAN Forum discussion:

Matterport recruiting Pro Service Providers to compete against indepen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @MeshImages
I think Apple is stepping into the market with the new iPad pro and this is making Matterport very nervous.

Look at this:

I bet that there will be alternatives (apps) to Matterport coming soon.

And then we must ask ourselves: Who will buy a 300 USD Matterport Scan, if you can create a (good looking) 3D model with a simple iPad pro?

MSPs must build complete marketing solutions, because simple scans (3D plus tour) won't convince customers anymore.

My simple point of view.
Post 10 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
It's really fast. 2 minutes for an apartment. Look at this demo

If they manage to add texture you have a MP dollhouse.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

If you have the new Apple iPad with the LiDAR Scanner, please start a new discussion telling us about your experience. If possible, please include examples of your scans with the iPad.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

WGAN Related Discussions

New Apple iPad Pro includes a LiDAR scanner for depth sensing and AR
iPhone 12 Pro with triple lens camera and LiDAR Scanner?
6DoF: Apple Invents a Light Field Panorama Camera System for iDevices & HMD

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
It seems I will be getting one(11 inch 256GB) on next Monday. I just want to be able to trim while I am scanning and still scan at the highest speed. There is usually plenty of time to do it while a camera spins but on 5th gen Ipad any trim line added delays finishing scanning. I had situations this week when I had 3-5 trim lines and scanning was talking about 2 minutes per spin instead of normal 40-50 sec. I do not mean spinning was longer but that state after it finishes spinning and a moment when you can do a new spin was much longer(about 1 minute) than usual.

As a result I stopped trimming during scanning and it took me extra 3 hours to trim 14 models at home. if I can save 3 hours on a 15 hours job a new ipad will pay for itself really fast.

I will post my impressions about the new Ipad Pro, I especially keen to try their lidar sensor. It may be good for virtual staging for flat photos directly on Ipad. I have seen their promo video with AR and it is only a matter of getting virtual furniture library somewhere.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
This might be a game changer for the low end 3D cameras like the Ricoh and Insta. It looks like it could give Matterport a run for their money. Do you think they have the reserves to go sue everyone who tramples their IP? I don't. I see them being very threatened by this. They will either have to radically change their model or start distributing software on CD in the mail like AOL.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
vGIS (23 April 2020) 2020 iPad Pro: Does the LiDAR sensor improve spatial tracking?
Post 16 IP   flag post
101721 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?