Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
How toScanningVideo

Video: Scanning a small space with Matterport11149

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Scanning a small space | video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | with Matterport Content Marketing Manager Amir Frank | 3 March 2020

Transcript

- Hey Matterporters. Thanks so much for joining us again today. I wanted to talk to you about how to scan a small space with your 360 camera. You may already have something like the Insta360 ONE X, or either the Ricoh THETA V or Z1, and you may be wondering what the best way is to scan a small space.

So it just so happens that I was recently at a show, and I went ahead and recorded myself scanning my hotel room. So I'm gonna take you through that.

And at the end, we're gonna take a look at the model, which I've linked to in the description below, and we're gonna go ahead and kinda tear it apart a little bit and see what's going on there, and how it compares to what the Marriott has on their website today.

Okay, so before we go ahead and get started, I just wanna get a couple things out of the way. If you're not yet sure how to connect the Insta360 ONE X or the Ricoh camera to your Capture app on your iOS device, I went ahead and linked to those videos in the description below, and up here in the corner.

If you don't yet have an account with Matterport, I went ahead and linked to a video in the description below and in the corner that goes over the different plan options that we offer.

If you're only scratching the surface with Matterport, and you just wanna get started and test things out, in the description below you'll also find a link to get started for free. Last thing, I promise, I just want to mention that even though I didn't scan any closets, you can see that the bathroom is about the size of a walk-in closet, so you would treat it in the same way that I did the bathroom in this room.

All right, let's go ahead and get started. So I know that was really short, but it really doesn't take very long to scan a small space with these cameras, they are so fast.

And as you can see from the Capture app in the corner, as I was moving the camera from one position to the next, slowly but surely the room was kind of completely fleshing out in 3D.

As I previously mentioned, there is a link to this model in the description below, so let's go ahead and check that out right now. When you first open the model, you get to this image, and you can see that just like with any other camera that you use to scan, you can walk around and navigate through the room. I can also press the number two to quickly access the dollhouse view, and you can see that the dollhouse view looks much, much cleaner than it did in the Capture app.

If you noticed in the Capture app, the outside lines of the walls were a little bit fuzzy, and that is because we're using a 360 camera and converting that 2D to 3D, so the accuracy is not gonna be as high in the measurements as you would expect with the Pro 2.

However in this case, when I really don't need that level of accuracy, I think these 360 cameras are an absolute perfect fit because of their speed. If you go inside, you'll notice that I even went ahead and added a Matter tag with an image that I grabbed from the Marriott website that shows what the sofa bed looks like opened up. This way I don't have to scan it in both positions, you wouldn't really wanna do that, but you can include that information in the model after the fact.

So I think that you can see based on this model and the video that I've provided, just how long it takes and what is required to scan a space like this, and you can also get an idea of the results. Again, I was using the Insta360 ONE X, so you do see a little degradation in the image quality itself.

I went ahead and closed the drapes here, the curtains, to allow in light, but so that I don't see what's going on the outside, and this is because, quite honestly, I didn't have the best view, it was a view of the parking lot, so I wanted to eliminate that from the model, but still allow the light, or as much light as possible through to bring in as much light into the room. As you can see where there is less light, like back here, you'll see that there's a little bit more image noise, and this is very common for cameras with smaller image sensors.

This would be much better with something like the Ricoh THETA Z1. As I get a little bit closer into that area, and it brightens up, you can see that the image quality improves, and I don't have the same issue with the image noise in this case. You'll also notice that I took a lot of scans, and this something that I actually recommend because the last thing you wanna do is go back to the site because you happened to miss a scan. I did go ahead and hide one of these scans.

I can probably hide more than just one of the scans to improve the navigation overall, but by scanning all of these positions, I know that I have everything I need, including this one way over here in the corner, to grab images that I may want to use outside of the model as assets for any kind of marketing material, or whatever you choose. But basically I would say that the more the better off the bat when you're there scanning.

You don't wanna go back to have to scan anymore after you've left the first time. So basically that's everything you need to know on how to scan a small space. I highly encourage you to walk around this model and check it out.

Also I highly encourage you to go to the Dallas Marriott Downtown website and check out what they're showing you, the images that they have to offer, that show you what this room is gonna be like, and just judge for yourself which one is more informative, and what's gonna give you a better idea of what room you're getting before you commit to that hotel.

Personally, I think these 360 cameras are a perfect fit for promotion because they are so fast, and offer so much more information with the Matterport model than you would get with five or six images that they currently have online.
Post 1 IP   flag post
skretnica private msg quote post Address this user
in the description is link to the Hotel web site
"+ Check out Marriott's images of their "One king bed" room here to compare the value add a Matterport Digital Twin has with standard 2D photos - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-rooms/daldt-dallas-marriott-downtown/..."

But i can't find a 3d Tour on whole site ..

EDIT: my mistake .. This is not official scan ..
Please delete this post. THX
Post 2 IP   flag post
101436 2 2
This topic is archived. Start new topic?