Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MuseumsScanningWarehouse

Enormous warehouse11069

Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks

I have been asked by a client to create a tours of a two newly built warehouses.

These tours are to be used for marketing purposes for international companies so they can walk around as if they are there.

I have successfully created up to 20000 empty spaces, albeit with some alignment issues but this is on another level.

One ware house is 178000 and the other is 90000, both have offices of approximately 8000=9000 sq ft of offices.

I would like to give it a go but am apprehensive.

I am thinking of hiring a BLK 360, using the Pro 2 to scan the offices and then the BLK to scan the warehouse. Taking into consideration that point cloud and accuracy of measurement isn't important.

Can anyone help tell me

Firstly is it possible?

2 . how long should I allow for the BLK scanning?

3 . how far apart can I set the BLK for scanning.

4 will I run into alignment issues?

5, can you hide behind a BLK?

6. Will matterport be able to process such data?

Many Thanks in advance

Mark

Post 1 IP   flag post
SpencerLasky private msg quote post Address this user
great Question I have a outdoor wild walk I was thinking of using the BLK so I'm awaiting some insights, plus I shoot studio's and I've gotten upward of 300 point clouds before - it was massive but it worked.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dshowcaseuk
One ware house is 178000 and the other is 90000, both have offices of approximately 8000=9000 sq ft of offices.

Personally, I am confused about the use case. Seems like the photo above works.

You might check with Matterport Support if they are willing to stitch multiple models together. If so, it's likely that you would need to shoot overlapping models to facilitate this. (Duplicate previous model to allow for 1/4 to 1/3 overlap to facilitate stitching models together. Again, I encourage you to check with Matterport Support before attempting a project of this size.)

The following WGAN Forum discussions may be helpful:

Videos: How to use Matterport AprilTags for Scanning Large Open Spaces
✓ All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: large

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
I agree Dan. But they like the tour and have asked for a quote
Post 4 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Very challenging project! Here is my guesses...

1. Firstly is it possible?

I would say yes! With a BLK360 it should be possible. The BLK360 is super powerful. It has incredible range and LOD.

Have a look at the outdoor area of this model. I think I have captured about 20.000 sqf with less than 10 BLK360 scans here (I think only 8, then I ran out of time because the show opened)

2. how long should I allow for the BLK scanning?

Medium setting (hdr3 and medium detail) is safe, but these settings will take you about 6 minutes per scan. If you use the BLK360 only for Dollhouse and build the tour with additional Pro2 images and positions, then I would try HDR off and Density medium for all BLK360 scans. And then I would scan a nice walkthrough with Pro2 scans (probably with alignment tags). The Pro2 distances have a more natural and realistic feel, as you move in steps of 5 meters instead of 10 meters with BLK360 positions. Try it in the model above.

3. how far apart can I set the BLK for scanning.

I made steps of 10 meters without problems. I think you can go even further.

4. will I run into alignment issues?

Probably yes. But I would open some of the loading gates and maybe also park a truck inside to give viewers a refence point to better estimate sizes.

5, can you hide behind a BLK?

No, you should not. It is difficult and if it hits you, you become part of the MESH (obj dollhouse). And with 3 to 6 minutes per scan I would not take the risk to repeat the scan.

6. Will matterport be able to process such data?

Hmmm, the render platform has significantly improved since cortex. As the model will not have so much detail (in terms of interior) it could be feasible. I have detailed models with about 85.000 sqf scanned with a Pro1.

Good luck with this project!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
HDR2 is fine. Recent BLK360 firmware updates have improved imagery greatly. You really don't need to waste time with HDR3.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101428 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?