Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360GoPro FusionGoPro MaxInsta360 Pro 2NewbiesReal EstateStrategyTipsTraining

Camera for Construction Videos ?11043

ConstructionVideos private msg quote post Address this user
New to the threads, but have been searching some recent (and older) posts in search for a similar question but haven't exactly come across it yet, so thanks in advance.

I am looking to purchase a 360 camera for construction projects, and plan on using the video for A) progress updates and B) future marketing videos.

For the progress videos, the field staff historically have a hard time taking photos (or video) that is wide enough to show what is being looked at and then also close enough to show enough detail for other off-site professionals to fully engage (architect, engineer, etc). This is why I have been looking at purchasing a 360 camera for a slow-ish walkthrough of the project, then during editing have the [limited] ability to zoom into particular details. These are residential homes, not commercial projects so the largest room would only be ~8' away from the camera lens.

What is important is:
1) Price under $1K
2) Decent video quality, likely going into lowlight scenarios
3) Easy editing.

From initial research, it appears the cost can be kept below $1K and have narrowed the search down to two main players.
#1: Insta360 ONE X
#2: GoPro Fusion or Max

Questions: When editing a video, is there a zoom option? If so will I be able to sell what style of door trim (for example) is being used when standing ~6' away?
I envision my field staff taking the video, data dumping it into a shared folder and I will edit the video into a 360 video. Am I overcomplicating the situation by trying to take work off their plate?

Much appreciated!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
For 360 video the Insta360 one x has flowstate stabilization which makes for a much better video (less Blair witch) the down side is the Insta360 has a small sensor & small sensors do not perform well in low light.

The Ricoh Theta Z1 comes in at just under $1000 and has good image quality it is capable of recording 360 video though I haven’t played with it’s video capabilities as of yet
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
This is a new construction RicohTour while a home was still under construction shot with the Ricoh Theta Z1

https://view.ricohtours.com/33488db1-da48-4b4e-a803-87d148a99038/3a265083-3b6e-4906-90a6-483a84757dd1

RicohTours you can also add a floor plan so, you can see where you are in a home. Unfortunately, though on larger homes the floor plan becomes really small. Currently, it works well for single level homes probably best for 3,500 SqFt or less if using a floor plan

https://view.ricohtours.com/58d4ad90-d240-4de8-9655-ab8fe52a2e99/

RicohTours runs about $500-600 a year but, is "all you can eat" so, you can shoot the "Smith" job as many times as needed. Also, the capture of the tour can be shot with a smart phone connected to a Ricoh Camera the RicohTours app is available for android & iOS

https://www.ricohtours.com
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
@ConstructionVideos - I concur! I've been very happy using the Insta360 One X for a huge construction project her in LA. Mostly I use it on the end of their "extended selfing stick" to put the camera in all sorts of places otherwise impossible, and then I extract HD video in edit, aiming the view where I see most value.

However, I'd probably buy the new Insta360 One R today, due to greater flexibility, longer battery life and multiple configurations. It also has better compression (according to one video I watched, maybe Ben Claremont) which yields slightly higher sharpness despite the same pixel resolution.

I've posted this before, but watch this :60 video I did of a home which includes about 6 shots (including the impossible gazebo shot) done with the One X on this long pole. All the "drone-looking shots" here below 20' elevation were done with the Insta. It's a game changer.

(in one shot toward the end the camera swings down toward a patio table. Here you can see the shadow from the Insta360 One X and the long pole)

Here is a Ricoh link with more info on their fabulous Z1, which I did not yet have when this video was shot.
clickable text

Post 4 IP   flag post
101646 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?