Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Advice

Camera Will Arrive Soon: Newbie Seeks Advice1102

Mikey private msg quote post Address this user
My Matterport Camera is being shipped to Canada- I am sure you will recall your expectations, hopes and "fear" having this on its way. I have read many of the blogs in anticipation of getting mine in the mail. Is there any advice for 1st time users "beyond the manual?"
I am a little apprehensive( but still keen) with respect to :
1. How to start
2. Can I do a main floor, work upstairs and THEN do a basement?
3. Is it easy to "mark" a window/mirror and how is this done?
4. Do I time the sweeps and then enter the room or does the unit indicate its completed a sweep?
5. Is there further work once at home after completing your sweeps and Uploading?
6. Is there any "tweaking" to be done prior to Upload?

Sincere thanks for any of your MP Wisdom
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Mikey
Welcome to MUG.
Where are you located?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Just south of Calgary Alberta
Post 3 IP   flag post
suncoastskyview private msg quote post Address this user
They are quite fussy about tripods. I already had some, but nothing worked until I bought the Manfrotto that Matterport recommends. You might consider getting one in anticipation of your camera's arrival. You will also need an iPad of course.
Then just download the MP software onto your iPad and you will be ready to go. Try scanning your house first. Start scanning wherever you like. Matterport will start the tour where it wants to. I'm still struggling with changing the start location after processing. Sometimes it works. Perhaps someone here can help me get that straight.

As you scan, look for the black parts of the picture on your iPad. Those are unscanned areas. Just move the camera to that location and do another scan to fill in the black parts. Be sure to tell the iPad where windows and mirrors are. They can really confuse the camera if you don't. It is quite easy and quick to do that, but I recommend first using your fingers to magnify the image on the iPad screen first so your markings will be accurate.

You don't need to do anything before sending your scans in for processing. After a couple hours, you will be sent a weblink that takes you to the virtual model.

Here's a tip: Be sure to scan both sides of every doorway. Position the camera about 18" from the threshold then do it again from the other side. Also, be sure to hide completely when scanning. It is hard to avoid being part of the picture. the ipad will tell you when it is safe to go back to the camera and reposition. It takes about 1 min per scan.

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best,

Rick Odato
Suncoast Skyview, Inc.
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Post 4 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
put your iPad on a shoulder strap or something to save time. make sure your camera is level every scan. and just relax, you'll get the hang of it very quickly. 1 or 2 scans and you'll understand the basics.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Really solid advice & tips - Thanks Harlan & Rick
I've purchased the IPAD and the MAnfrotto Tripod, leveler & Quick release- Doorway advice is great- The shoulder strap is something I never thought of- I like it.
Thanks
Mike
Post 6 IP   flag post
You can get excellent little phone apps for free that have the bubble level feature.

The camera sets exposure and color balance automatically. The photography is HDR. As you're "walking" through the virtual tour, you can also capture snapshots as if you were there. My customers have been raving about the quality.

I bought a iPad "case" that has a strap on the back to slip your hand through. That is much easier than setting it down every time.

I like the shoulder strap idea as well. Thanks, Harlan.

Good luck,Mikey.
After a couple jobs, you'll be a MP Pro.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ceiling fans should be stopped, otherwise they turn into circular blue blobs. (That may not be a major problem in Canada). That also applies to fast moving dogs. They turn into blue blobs.

I also like to turn on all the lights. Remember that sunlight is very blue and incandescent light is very orange. The camera can't cope with both at the same time, so I try to limit the sunlight coming in whenever possible. The camera sets itself up for the light and makes some terrific images.
Post 8 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
the strap shaved almost a minute off my scans.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Time for the Xmas lines at the Apple Store once again
The App level is a great edge
Now all I need is a pair of "smart glasses" to put on !

Thanks I am looking forward to shuffling through this at my folks' home- they don't mind much if I make a mistake

Thanks Harlan & Rick for your Help
Mikey
Post 10 IP   flag post
Don't let it intimidate you. It is actually very easy to use. You might make a few mistakes now and then but the results will often still be quite good.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

Rick Odato
Post 11 IP   flag post
101635 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?