Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,051 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GSViSTAR PulsarPilot EraPilot OneRicoh Theta Z1

Poll: Which 360 camera to buy to create Google Street View?11006

WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
I was hoping I could create a poll but I don't see an option to do it. This has been discussed over and over but...

If you had to pick one 360 camera to buy today (other than MP) to create tours, photos and ease of uploading to google street view, which would it be?

GO!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
I personally like Ricoh's Theta Z1 ~ Works in the Matterport environment as well as Zillow 3D home tours and many other 360 tour making platforms including Ricoh's RicohTours platform

I have a "New to Me" Chromebook out for delivery I am going to see how well it works for editing constellations within street view
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@fotoguy

Please see these related WGAN Forum discussions:

2020 is the year of Google Street View Blue Line Map Updates by Pros
GSV Pricing>NCTech iSTAR Pulsar versus Insta360 Pro 2 and Labpano Pilot Era
9 Rooftop Car Mounts for 360º Cameras for Google Street View
Pilot One 360º 1-Click Camera is a Contender for Real Estate Photographers

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@fotoguy

WGAN Created this Google Street View Camera Pricing Camera Comparison (31 December 2019):

✓ WGAN Google Street View Blue Line Map Update | Nicely Loaded Cameras, Gears and Accessories Pricing Comparison

Private Message me if you would like the link. Please include in the subject line:
WGAN GSV Camera Pricing Comparison

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I currently own and use Theta V along with Pro2, but ready to transition to Theta Z. But definitely open to what Dan reported on today.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoguy
I was hoping I could create a poll but I don't see an option to do it. This has been discussed over and over but...

If you had to pick one 360 camera to buy today (other than MP) to create tours, photos and ease of uploading to google street view, which would it be?

GO!

I can tell you what not to buy, it is Theta V or Z1 as you will have problems with location data unless you shoot using the SV app. However even with the SV app wireless connection won't work if you are in a car and your V or Z1 is on a car roof.

Shame on Ricoh for that and for super bad battery in their Z1. With their plugins and actually quite a good picture resolution and HDR mode they could make something unique & desirable.

As for other brands, do you want a camera for business tours, a blue line or both?

Pilot Era that I have is quite good but it is 500g. Caring it on yourself above your head is a challenge. Using it on a tripod or on a car is not a problem. However with a car mounting you are kind of thinking all the way what if it drops or hits a branch. Silly way to kill a camera worth US$2700 For that reason I tried to mount my Z1 on a car but as I mentioned above its wireless just a total crap. My phone disconnects from it when I am inside my car.

Also consider that if you want to do a blue line and want you logo at nadir then you need a camera that can apply a logo automatically. Pilot Era can do it and Pilot One I guess will have it too. Another one I know that can do it is Insta360 One X.
Post 6 IP   flag post
pguerreiro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
Silly way to kill a camera worth US$2700 For that reason I tried to mount my Z1 on a car but as I mentioned above its wireless just a total crap. My phone disconnects from it when I am inside my car.

I'm having the same problem with the Insta360 One X. At a distance of 1 or 2 metters, the phone disconects.

Anyone else has this problem?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I did not know Insta360 One X comes with the same problems with wireless range. I was actually thinking to do blue lines with it. It is cheap and not that big a deal if it is destroyed accidentally at some point.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have just have sold my Z1 and it is going to be picked up this afternoon. That's the end of a story with me and Ricoh.

Now, I have been going to get insta 360 One X for blue lines and it seems to have the same problems(see @pguerreiro post above) with wireless as Theta cameras. Can anyone recommend a cheap one that can do a blue line in 4K minimum, comes with a good wireless range(at least stable connection with a phone inside a car and a camera on top) and can automatically apply a Nadir Logo to a video through an app it is controlled with.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Marshallartsmedia private msg quote post Address this user
New Member, first post...

I bought the Insta360 ONE R last month with the express intention of using it for Blue Line SV, I figured it would have the same or better functionality as the One X. However there is no GSV option or functionality in the ONE R app, nor does it work with the SV app directly (just the ONE is listed as an approved camera). I asked Insta if it was to be added but they said to 'watch this space', I did feedback that this wasn't a particularly helpful response for my £439 GSV brick - I ended up buying the ONE X in addition. And have since received the remote. The ONE R is a great wee camera don't get me wrong, but there is currently no GSV functionality if that was part of your shopping list.

Paul
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Related WGAN Forum Discussions about creating Google Street View "Blue Line" Map Updates

2020 is the year of Google Street View Blue Line Map Updates by Pros
GSV Pricing>NCTech iSTAR Pulsar versus Insta360 Pro 2 and Labpano Pilot Era
9 Rooftop Car Mounts for 360º Cameras for Google Street View
10 Backpacks to pair with 360º Cameras to create Google Street View
Transcript: Pilot One is a Contender for Real Estate Photographers

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguerreiro
I'm having the same problem with the Insta360 One X. At a distance of 1 or 2 metters, the phone disconects.

There may be something wrong with your camera. I have just bought a used Insta360 One X and I can control it from at least 7 meters distance being one floor above it and with at least one wall on its way. The phone I am using stays connected and there is no visible lag in a camera preview mode.

I will try it in a car tomorrow but I can say that my Theta Z1(and V as well) did not even work from 3 meters distance with direct line of sight.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Just checked wireless connection on my Insta360 OneX through my car roof. Works perfectly. It is definitely much better than with Ricoh cameras.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Oh, forgot to mention that Insta360 OneX is much smaller and lighter than V/Z1. May not be that hard to mount it on a helmet and walk with it. And you may not need to break a bank to get a car rooftop mount for it or DIY. Definitely it can stand on a car with just one/two strong magnets.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
BTW, this is how to do a blue line with Insta360 OneX

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Insta360-One-X-Street-View-video-mode-How-to-for-new-users/td-p/1217041

Worth to read if you have never done it with this camera. I would not figure it out myself. It is tricky to find and activate a GSV mode in the Insta360 OneX app.

If you do not have access to local guides connect or want to watch a video about how to do it with more details here is one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4htvDnZXpU

I would also add about keeping your Insta360 OneX app On. Make sure you change it for the app(something like always active) in your Android settings and also make sure your phone won't go into a sleep mode. For that check settings for Power savings mode.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Kumar private msg quote post Address this user
@fotoguy should wait for detailed review on labpano one/tour work flow. So far it looks promising to me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I can tell you about it as it should be the same as with Era.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Kumar private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman does Era has V-SLAM? or is V-SLAM is a post processing feature and not a camera?
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
@Wingman does Era has V-SLAM? or is V-SLAM is a post processing feature and not a camera?

I do not think V-SLAM has anything to do with a camera hardware. It is a post processing feature and technically should work with any camera. We cannot confirm yet with Labpano if they are going to give an access to Pilot tours to a Pilot Era but I am confident they will. If they do not that is going to be just bad to all Pilot Era owners.

However if we are talking about blue lines here I do not think there is any use for V-SLAM as it is done through recording a video, not single panoramas.
Post 19 IP   flag post
101628 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?