Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3603D ShowcaseDoorProblemsScanningScans

Help Please! Matterport Scanning Alignment problem with Doors Open/Closed10879

misho73 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello there,
I know the optimum during scanning, doors should be at same position at all times, open or closed (ultimately open),for better alignment. I had this situation (see picture attached) when I open door 1, it will hide pathway to door 2 and bathroom behind. so I eventually started with door 1 open to get through with my camera, then had to close it after to get through door 2 which resulted alignment issues. i tried closing door 1 half way and tried to leave it that way, but again alignment didn't go though. i was stuck there for like good 20 minutes until finally the capture app accepted alignment with mixed situations of door 1 open and closed in different scans.
I used Theta Z1 for the scanning.
What do you usually do in tight situations like this?
thanks for help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
martel private msg quote post Address this user
Keep the door open with some type of door stop or chair.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@martel that's not the issue. the issue is when I keep door one open, it blocks pathway to the bathroom behind it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
virtualpro private msg quote post Address this user
Theses are unusual situations, however, it happens occasionally.

There are a few options that you can do.
The first one is set door 1 at an angle that you can seek past on both sides. it will be a squeeze at least you will get it on the model.

Option 2 which I have done before is not to scan the bathroom, rather do a 360 in the bathroom and place the 360 link on the door. I have done this before, you will need to communicate with the party why you have done this adjust floor plan manually if required.

Option 3 which I have done before is to remove the door for the shoot.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@misho73 Please show a further zoomed out screen shot so I can get a better feel for what you had going on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@virtualpro thanks for the tips,really useful, I tried solution num 1 and failed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@leonherbert here it is

Post 7 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH

@misho73 I would shoot all the blue 1's first, the door can actually be at 45 degrees or at such a range that you can get through. Once i Have all the shots I then close the door to the red position and scan from 2.1 to 2.5.
2.1 needs to be far away so that you get alignment with the other rooms but does not "see" the original door position. This way you should fool 2.2 onwards to complete the scan.

In the final model I just switch off the scans that make it difficult to get through (2.3)

That is normally how I get success.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@leonherbert thanks so much. I like the way you engineered it. I guess that's how I successfully did it but through trial and error without realizing what I really did. just scanning and scanning till I was frustrated.
Obviously planning such situations is crucial. thanks again.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@misho73 NP anytime, that how I learnt as well
Post 10 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@misho73 I carry a battery-op screw gun for the difficult ones! Just kidding
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert

@misho73 I would shoot all the blue 1's first, the door can actually be at 45 degrees or at such a range that you can get through. Once i Have all the shots I then close the door to the red position and scan from 2.1 to 2.5.
2.1 needs to be far away so that you get alignment with the other rooms but does not "see" the original door position. This way you should fool 2.2 onwards to complete the scan.

In the final model I just switch off the scans that make it difficult to get through (2.3)

That is normally how I get success.

@leonherbert

You are a ROCK STAR! Thanks for sharing this detailed scanning workflow for tight/door situations.

@misho73

If the process above creates "mesh" that "blocks" the walk-through experience, you can use a "Matterport Sandwich" trimming process to fix this ...

How to use a 'Matterport Sandwich' (and How to Avoid Having to Use it)

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
virtualpro private msg quote post Address this user
Good solution
Post 13 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@DanSmigrod You are making me blush,
Thanks
Post 14 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Thanks Dan for the Matterport Sandwich tip. You guys Rock
Post 15 IP   flag post
101436 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?