Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCamerasiFootage Cobra 2Insta360 Pro 2NewbiesRicoh Theta VRicoh Theta Z1Versus

Considering Ricoh Theta Z1, but, worried about battery!10766

photosintheround private msg quote post Address this user
HI!

I currently have the Insta360 One X, but, I was thinking about upgrading for the Z1 for better image quality. I have 2 questions....and I apologize if this has been covered in depth before...

1. Is the picture quality worth $1000 vs $300 for the insta?

2. My biggest concern is the battery. I have two jobs tomorrow, and I have 3 batteries for the insta. NO WORRIES!!! I actually keep a dual charger plugged in at all times, so I always have batteries.
It appears that the Z1 only has a built in battery? That seems like it would make it difficult to do two houses in a row.....or even 1 big house!!!

I don't think I am ready to buy a Matterport Camera.......maybe the best idea is to wait and see what is coming in 2020? I think the insta images look great....but....the Z1 tours that I have seen seem a bit better.

THANKS in advance!!!

Mark
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Z1 can be powered off of a battery pack. I have done this on several shoots now. It’s not really an issue image quality is well worth the work around to run it off of a battery bank
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
The Z1 or the Ricoh v possibly the sc2 will also give you the ability to shoot Zillow 3D tours as an add on service
Post 3 IP   flag post
KeithMitchell private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve only had my Z1 for two weeks. I’ve practiced with it and shot one house so far. I have also shot with the Theta V, but not the Insta. In my view, the Z1 image quality is worth the price difference from the Theta V. But yeah, the battery could be an issue depending on usage. After shooting one house (17 images), I had about 75% battery remaining. If you plug it in a charger between houses, at that image rate, you Can shoot maybe 5 houses. But what if you shoot bracketed? What if you shoot more images per building? What if you have to do a lot of configuration changes between shots? I wish the battery was replaceable but, for my uses, I think the built-in battery will suffice.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Pairing a good monopod with a battery pack is a viable option

Post 5 IP   flag post
I appreciate all the advice, so far! What type of battery back and monopod are you using?? I like the idea of the Z1....just not 100% sold on the battery limitation! As a newbie, I am taking a lot of shots....and I am concerned.

I am still hoping that the answer is yet to be released. (Maybe on the 7th!!!........although probably not if it's a drone!!!)

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!! The good news is that the insta is, by no means, bad! Plus, my first few clients have been very happy with the results. I just want to do even better for them!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
3DVirtuallyThere private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Lilnitsch, add a short tripod extension for the battery cable and velcro a 20K-25K mAh battery at the base of the monopod. See this image on a 9,000 sqft luxury house. The dynamic range is great!
Post 7 IP   flag post
3DVirtuallyThere private msg quote post Address this user

Right from the camera, no editing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Didn't realize how inexpensive a 25K mAh is! (Unless, of course, I am looking at the wrong ones!!!!). Seems about $30-$50??? Plus, I think I would need a new heavier monopod. Any specific suggestions for either a monopod or battery pack??
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I use an ifootage cobra 2 for my monopod with which ever battery pack I have handy. I primarily use the Z1 for Zillow 3D tours but, I do occasionally use it to fill in exterior shots in the Matterport ecosystem
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I have the 51” and the 71” or so variants of this monopod and love it, I occasionally use it for stills at well for my DSLR

IFOOTAGE Video Monopod Professional 71" Aluminum Telescopic Monopods with Folding Three Feet Support Base Compatible for DSLR Camcorders https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQYQ5G4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TqbeEb933FBGA
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
The image quality and their time shift plugin is worth it everything else does not.

As for a monopod, I use a cheap one for less than $15. It is ok for inside and leveled surface but outside and on a slope it can be a problem.

Since I am going to use a Pilot Era instead of a Z1 soon I have decided to get a better one and bought Neewer brand monopod for $42 from https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=312758014288&_sacat=0

They are all similar but because they can be made from different material their weight is different. I think Neewer one is slightly more than 2 pounds. The one that @Lilnitsch offers is heavier and heavier is better. An alternative will be to add some weight to the bottom.

Another alternative is to see if you can use your normal tripod. I have a Manfrotto 190CF. If I could find a longer pole specifically for it or I could find a reasonably priced extension I would rather go using the tripod with legs not extended(making it a small footprint.

I actually can still try it with a pole that should come with the Neewer monopod. If I can join it with the Manfrotto pole(should not be a problem) I will get something super stable and much easier to level with slightly extending legs to compensate a sloppy surface.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101436 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?