Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MappingMapsPhotoSatellite PanoramasUAVEXPO19

How to monetize drone imagery (and get satellite imagery free) via SOAR10631

WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Last month at the Commericial UAV Expo & Conference in Las Vegas, I met Darren Smith of Soar.earth, aka @TheRealDazzler here on We Get Around Network Forum.

Darren agreed to an impromptu interview telling the We Get Around Network a little bit about how Soar has a mapping platform that helps with distribution Maps and Satellite Imagery and Drone Photography.

Highlights @DanSmigrod and I thought could be of interest include:

Custom sub-domain for sharing images or hosting images without affecting your own server costs.

Drone Operators can drop aerial images to sell, stock photography options paying out better than some other stock photo sites. Pays out at $50 revenue sales.

Cloud folder for map images, hosting your images so your server to share with private links or hosting online

Here’s the interview:

Video: Soar at the Commercial UAV Expo Americas - Las Vegas 2019 | Video courtesy of Mike Madsen with Virtual Tours Las Vegas (@VTLV) and SOAR: Discover your Earth YouTube Channel (1 December 2019)

Now I gotta get playing with Soar.earth to see if I have any footage I think I could sell as stock photography and see about some points of interest to sell imagery of.

Do you have points or interest in town you have taken drone pictures you think you could sell here?

Do you see a use for some satellite imagery with some of our services?

I would like to hear what you think you could do with this service using Soar.earth. Best I could come up with on the fly was using the Satelite images for campaign rallies and sell to news services

Thank you to @TheRealDazzler aka Darren Smith.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Here is a transcript of the WGAN-TV on-location interview by Virtual Tours Las Vegas Photographer Mike Madsen (@VTLV) with SOAR Business Development Darren Smith (@TheRealDazzler) from Perth, Australia.

@VTLV and @TheRealDazzler ... thanks for doing the interview

Happy holidays,

---

Transcript

- This is Mike Madsen at the Commercial UAV Expo in Las Vegas. We came over to the SOAR booth and I am told that we've got a sub-domain with SOAR.

And this is Darren Smith. Darren Smith, what can you tell us about SOAR? And what can we do with it?.

- Yeah, okay. Thanks for asking Mike. Well, SOAR is a platform for the distribution of maps and imagery.

So I say maps and imagery cause we've always been in the mapping space but those maps can also be images. So, joint-operators can either sell images: singular images themselves on the SOAR platform.

And we're quite generous. So those images get used as stock photography. Whatever, it's media, news, marketing type uses. And so a drone operator can put his images up on the platform and name a price between ten and a hundred dollars.

And then we only take thirty percent of that so it's quite generous compared to like general stock photography sites. Which are tiered and it takes a long time to actually get that kind of revenue from them. So we made it very easy for people to use that for images. And then so there's the mapping application.

So if you're sort of beyond just the still photography portion of drones. If you're taking images and making maps out of them. We have; it's basically making it dead simple towards people to monetize their map images.

So it's kind of like Dropbox for maps. We host the images. You buy a subscription through us and then the images are hosted. And then anybody can access those images: you just give them permission. So its a good tool for people that are in the business of generating maps but their clients don't know what to do with these maps.

And they don't want to spend a lot of time learning what to do with them. And they get dropped on, basically in your account and then they can visualize them.

- Sorry to cut you off.

- Yeah it's all right.

- Just like Dropbox we can give them just a private link so it's just not shared out with everybody?

- Yeah, so it works by. It's permission so basically: you as the creator, the content creator, you have your own sub-domain.

So for example if you wanted to do Michael.SOAR.earth Then you add them as users: and so client A, client B, etc. are added to that and then you basically give them a password and then they can view those images.

So that means it's not visible to the world. The other thing is you can actually. So that there's a challenge there though.

That if you generate some really awesome stuff and then your client is sitting there zooming in and out, zooming in and out and using that data a lot. There's a computer somewhere in the background that has to work, you know, to make that happen. And because everything is on the cloud it's basically pay as you go. And so the challenge is: is you might actually end up wearing that cost.

Them zooming in and out. And you don't necessarily want to do that because you just hand the image off. So we allow guys like yourself: content creators, to actually create sub-domains for your clients.

And so they then carry the subscription cost. They can zoom in and out all day. So they're paying that cost and you actually get thirty percent of that back to you.

- Oh fun.

- So.

- Can we take a look? See what it looks like on the computer?

- Yeah we can definitely. So I might just quickly. So this right here is the singular top-down imagery example. So I'll just. That's the part of the platform. So these are images that one of the users has uploaded and made available. And that's of course right nearby here in Las Vegas.

And if I was interested in buying that image I could then go to where that image is and then buy that. So he's selling this image for ten dollars. He gets seven dollars. And the general user just comes on, purchases that image.

And it's kind of like they can do whatever they want with that image except represent it as their own. So they can use it in any print media. They can use it online.

- [Mike Madsen] So copyright still belongs to

- [Darren Smith] That's right.

- [Mike] NV Aerial?

- [Darren] NV, that's correct.

- [Mike] Gotcha.

- [Darren] It was just by coincidence that I grabbed that image. I was hoping to run in to him at the show today. I think he's based here locally. But yeah once somebody buys that image then as he builds up enough; he has to build up seventy dollars. Sorry $50 worth of credit on the platform and then he gets paid out.

So that's basically the. You could compare. You could say that's like stock photography because they're pictures that tell a story but they're only in one place. So going over to the mapping. More the business-to-business side of things. This is actually our CEO's personal domain so it's. Yeah so these are all images that Amir has uploaded.

So these are mapped images and they're even scanned images. So that's just a paper map that we scanned but it's been uploaded. And so his clients could then view all of these images just from their desktop, from their tablet, from their mobile. Without having to buy really expensive, enterprise level, GIS software.

Or have to learn how to use that software. You can see he's just clicking and scrolling in to visualize that image. And that's a thermal infrared image so that's showing you the heat signature of one of the suburbs that are close to Perth. And the streets are obviously popping out cause that's where the most heat is getting reflected at night. And as well their urban images.

And so that's two parts of the SOAR platform. The third part of the platform is: so we service drone, manned aircraft, and satellite imagery. So in Amir's account here he could be hosting all three of those.

But also we make satellite imagery available, totally free. Via the European Space Agency. So it's a satellite called Sentinel; there's one and two. This is Sentinel-1 and the imagery is really useful for things like news and media.

So one thing that I do every day when I'm in the office is I go and look for big events in the earth somewhere. Like if there's been a fire. We use that imagery, send it out on social media to say: hey look you guys can grab this imagery and make it available for free.

It's totally free and other people can use that imagery. So geologists use it because the satellite images capture much more of the light spectrum than say our cameras do. And so they can play with the different parts of the image to highlight different types of rocks. So geologists can use it.

- [Mike] If storming Area 51 was to happen I could have sent that off to the news and they have only a couple people out there?

- [Darren] Yeah that would have been. If you. So it's ten meter. Unfortunately because there was only a few people it would have been hard to see them. Had you got a lot of people, at ten meter, it would have showed up really well. But we also have access to much higher resolution. So there's ten meter.

We also have fifty centimeter resolution. So like the distance from my. You can identify objects as long as sort of you know half my leg. And that stuff is used in things like surveillance and reconnaissance, oil and gas industry, anywhere that needs that really high resolution stuff. That's available through the SOAR platform. So I probably gave you.

- That's a lot of information.

- A lot of information. Feel free to cut some of that out.

- All right, will do. Thanks for your time on that.

- Yeah okay.

- Appreciate you sharing everything you've done. You got me some ideas here in the next election. Or people are going out on election campaigns; start taking some photos and sell them here on SOAR.

- Yeah

- All right I'm going to sign off.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, can you add link to any source which can either deliver, or explain how to create, that “fly down from space to a Google-map location (like a home, street or office building) as a video.

I’ve seen this, but have forgotten where.
Thank you!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D

Video: How to Make Google Earth Fly-in Mashup with Drone Footage

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
101438 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?