Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Commercial Real EstateMarketingPricing

commercial vs residental pricing10336

WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
Do you charge more for commercial scans than you do residential? If so, why? Do you base it on the square feet? If a house is 1,500 sq/ft and the commercial property is $1,500, what type of price difference?

Asking because we've been asked to photograph a commercial property. It's not very big. Many of the houses we have photographed have been bigger.
Post 1 IP   flag post
New Interior
Solutions
Bellevue, Washington
ftosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Following. I'd like to ask the same question also for 3D virtual tours.
Post 2 IP   flag post
newengland3d private msg quote post Address this user
In my experience, short as it is, I have found that there is good reason to price differently for the different markets, and for each project.

Here is why:

Generally speaking, residential jobs will have more rooms to contend with. Which usually means more scan points and therefor more time on site. I.E., a 3500 sq ft house vs a 3500 sq ft commercial space. That said, each job is different and has it's own unique issues.

On the commercial side, I always offer to list the information across all outside platforms (Google, Virtual Wedding Venues, etc) if it makes sense for the customer.

I do use sq ft as a beginning basis for quotes, but one must look at the entire scope of the project, and the relationship with the customer, when quoting. Some customers warrant a lower cost per project, especially if they keep you busy with repeat work.

An example would be a Realtor who has you doing 5 houses a week vs that one Realtor who calls you once a year. The once a year person calls only for a six figure house and wants every conceivable option available, and expects you to deliver it yesterday, they might just get the high quote...
Post 3 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@fotoguy For me, it's not a residential or commercial question, it's how long does it take me to travel to, shoot, process, deliver, bill and collect for the work - end to end - based on my loaded/calculated "shop rate."

Using the above thinking, I calculate how long each task on my price list takes to accomplish, which then creates baseline multipliers for each line item of the shoot (sort of like zero-based budgeting). For example, I use 1 scan/40sf for a Matterport Tour, 1 scan/100sf for a Zillow 3D Tour, with similar thinking for all other items on the price list.

For Matterport and a 3,500sf property, that's 88 total scans (split up with approx 90% for interior and 10% for exterior).

The fact is I could never justify to myself why it should cost more to do commercial. If my client requires me to submit to special considerations, such as a midnight shoot, or having to constantly wait for customers to leave the shoot area, or something tangible to the time I need to invest, then that is clearly different, but I believe these differences may be determined up-front so there are no surprises or misunderstandings over scope of work vs. price.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
I charge by time it will take me to complete the job. With commercial I have generally determined that scans are wider apart. Consequently my algorithm would give a cheaper price per sq/ft. But it obviously depends on what it is that I am scanning. If I am going to have to scan closer they are going to get a price closer to the residential charge.

I know what I have to earn per hour, so that is what I charge, it does not really matter who I am scanning for.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have not done any paid residental but from doing commercial I think it may take longer comparing with the same size residential. Business clients are more picky, usually start preparing a space when you are already on their site, they ask much more questions and expect any tiny problem fixed asap.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhscott
wait for customers to leave the shoot area

This one too. When I was doing some college and it was a job for a few days 8 hours a day I was stopping scanning all the time because some students did not even react to my request to wait(wearing headphones etc) or were simply appearing from around a corner during a scan. Some of them could be underage and I had to rescan sometimes one spot 2 or 3 times. And it was a lot of rescanning over these few days that added a few hours to complete the whole job.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@fotoguy

Pricing Matterport 3D Tours for commercial spaces is likely a custom quote – as @newengland3d, @bryanhscott and @leonherbert write – based on the space and other factors such as:

✓ do you need to shoot nights or weekends when the business is closed?
✓ Is a day rate most appropriate such as a hotel with many rooms (e.g. waiting for housekeeping)?
✓ Is a Matterport MatterPak required? (shooting Matterport scans closer together)
✓ Ongoing hosting, support and maintenance?
✓ Will the space be published to Google Street View as well?

Here is one example of a pricing model that I like with Matterport for a restaurant. For the purpose of this discussion, let’s assume that the space is 5,000 SQ FT and that for a house for sale you charge $0.20 SQ FT include hosting for six months. That’s $1,000.

Now imagine for the 5,000 SQ FT restaurant, the Matterport space needs to be hosted for at least three years.

You might charge $499 to shoot the restaurant and $24.95 per month for hosting, support and maintenance. In 20 months, that’s a total of $1,000: the same as you would have received for shooting a house. After 20 months, you have monthly recurring revenue of $24.95. If the model continues to be hosted for another 18 months, that’s an additional $449 (less Matterport hosting). So, while it took longer to get the payout, you ending up getting paid $1,500 over the course of three years for a space you would have charge $1,000 if it was residential.

You could tweak the example (above) by charging more or less for the shoot and/or more or less for hosting, support and maintenance. Plus, Add Ons might include: publishing to Google Street View (hosting, support and maintenance); 2D schematic floor plans and a video created from the Matterport 3D Tour. Plus, let them know that if they remodel the restaurant, you can provide a 3D model of the space that can be imported into a CAD program by the architect.

In a perfect world, you might make the upfront shoot fee zero and make your money on charging $49 per month for hosting, support and maintenance. The challenge with not charging an upfront shoot free is that the client might ask you back the following week to refresh the tour because they moved a table from here to there. So, you want to be comfortable with an upfront fee that you would be willing to do for re-shooting the space. For a restaurant, that’s likely to happen. So, the restaurant feels good that the upfront fee is low in case they need to refresh and the monthly fee is manageable.

If you have a different commercial space, please share the details and I may reply with a different pricing model.

I have done 10+ hours of discussions about pricing in the WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport).

WGAN Training, Basic Standard and Premium Members receive a free Membership in the WGAN-TV Training U. Since you are a WGAN Standard Member, if you would like a coupon code for a free WGAN-TV Training U Membership, please Private Message me.

Best,

Dan

WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) - Pricing Course is 10+ Hours

screen grab
Post 8 IP   flag post
101646 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?