Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Gear of the WeekTripod Dolly

Gear of the Week: Dolica LT-D100 Professional Lightweight Tripod Dolly10280

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Gear of the Week

---

Dolica LT-D100 Professional Lightweight Tripod Dolly

Gear of the Week: Dolica LT-D100 Professional Lightweight Tripod Dolly

Hi All,

I am scheduled to do a test shoot of a basketball court this Friday (17 October 2019). If the job goes forward, it will be nearly 50,000 SQ FT - three full-size basketball courts, fitness center, spa-area, dining area and reception.

I bought the Dolica LT-D100 Professional Lightweight Tripod Dolly to make the shoot go faster and easier (and reduce stress on the tripod and my back ). (The dolly will be particularly helpful, if I have to shoot the basketball court at two levels: lowest height with the Matterport Pro 3D Camera (just to be successful scanning) and then at normal camera level (for the walk around experience). [I will hide the "low scans" in Matterport Workshop 3.0.

Since the basketball court is a big, open space, I have some concerns about whether I can successfully scan it (without adding targets or objects). If I can not scan at normal eye-level, I do feel that I will be successful lowering the camera to the lowest tripod setting (since the camera may be able to "see" the floor better). That said, I offered our client a test shoot first.

Thus, I may need to scan the basketball court twice. And, any time I spend scanning is down time for the use/rental of the basketball court. So, I would like to be able to do this basketball court fast! Particularly, if I will need to scan all three basketball courts and the rest of the spaces.

To make the project even more complex, I will be testing if I can successfully add 10 basketball players using either the Matterport Pro 3D Camera and/or Insta360 One X. I may have to use the Matterport Pro 3D Camera to do a series of scans to get close to the players and hide the extra scans.

While I would love to add a Leica BLK360 to the mix to get scan data of the super-high ceiling, client and I discussed that the expense of getting the dollhouse view to look amazing was not worth the expense (good enough is okay).

I will let you know next week how it goes with this tripod dolly next week.

Which tripod dolly are you using for wide open spaces and what's been your experience been with your dolly?

Best,

Dan

Dolica LT-D100 Professional Lightweight Tripod Dolly
Post 1 IP   flag post
elyptic private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Dan!

I‘m using the Neewer Tripod Dolly.
clickable text
This works great for me. The last 3 weeks i scanned about 70.000 sq ft of a museum. The best thing is that you can reduce the width of the Dolly for narrow ways for example between rows of seats.

Best regards

Michael
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@elyptic

Cool! That's one that I looked at too.

70,000 SQ FT museum sounds like a great use case for a dolly.

Did you have any challenges with the dolly showing up in the scans?

Best,

Dan

P.S. If you can, please share the Matterport 3D Tour of the Museum. ....
Post 3 IP   flag post
It only shows up on reflecting surfaces (windows, mirrors). Not on the bottom (doesn‘t matter which width is selected). As soon as i get permission from my client i will share the link.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Oh. Sorry. I‘m using the version with 3inch wheels.

clickable text
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
That's the one I was mentioning on the forum a few months ago. My brand is KingJoy but it seems to be identical to the Neewer one.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Did you have any challenges with the dolly showing up in the scans?

No it does not show more than a tripod. Also as someone has mentioned the dolly arms are retractable and you can actually reduce a footprint of a tripod.

The only time consuming task with it is unpacking/unfolding the dolly and leveling a tripod on it but after some practise it can be done within 2-5 minutes top.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Hi All,

I this tripod dolly.

I should have gotten a tripod dolly five years a go!

Wow! So, So, So much easier to do large open spaces. I can't imagine using one in a house with furniture and carpet, but a basketball court? Perfect!

I will write the week of 21 October 2019 about doing a Matterport scan of a basketball court: what I learned/challenges, etc.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A WGAN Member is asking me about the one I used. it.

Do you have a dolly that you love?

(It is an essential tool for wide-open, large spaces.)

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
We have 2 Dolicas. We had one break... possibly due to be kicked by the user, lol. Animals.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 11 IP   flag post
101429 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?