Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ViewsBrain TeaserInsta360 Pro 2OutdoorsRicoh Theta VRicoh Theta Z1Scans

Brain Teaser: Converting Matterport Outdoor 3D Views to 3D Scans?10235

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A WGAN Member writes:

“Is it worth to get Ricoh Theata Z1 for outdoor GSV using Matterport capture to create walkthru or will I have same problems as Matterport Pro2 3D Camera that won’t align the 360 Views into 3D scans?”

—-

Do you have experience with Ricoh Theta V or Ricoh Theta Z1 or Insta 360 One X outdoor 3D Views converting to 3D scans?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Penebel IDN
WayanMatt private msg quote post Address this user
i was wondering the same thing ... interested in answers
Post 2 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I am using a Theta V and outdoor alignment is still am issue. However, if you do not need a floor plan or completely dimensionally accurate model, the Theta is much much faster for scanning.

Jon J
Post 3 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
It’s hit or miss with both. Theta is a little more reliable in certain circumstances. In the shade or dappled sun with lots of 3D stuff, the MP works fine. Sometimes it’s a chore to get the first theta scan to align but once it’s done that you’re off to the races. Try back tracking a scan or two to establish theta participation then disable redundant scans later. I recommend a Z1 if not with unbridled enthusiasm.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
I really like the Z1. I have been using it with my pro2 to fill in exteriors. Switching between the two cameras I have found you need to overlap a scan or two.

This is one I did a month or so, ago

Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch - Thanks for sharing this model. I'm intrigued with what Cortex promises, to be able to capture outdoors in sunlight, though exterior surfaces look to still be better modeled with Pro camera in twilight, such as the example here. (my kingdom for an affordable, laser-equipped "Pro 3"!)

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D Agreed, however sometimes twilight shoots are not in the cards
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I tried 3D scans with Z1 outdoor, it works worse than Pro2. Pro2 can easily scan at least one side of my house(about 10 meters). I tried it on a commercial job and I went 20 meters outdoor from an internal scanned space in full sunlight before it started complaining about alignment.

With my Z1 though I started under my pergola roof in a very shady area and with a second scan just 3 meters away from the first it threw a low overlap message. I moved it 2 meters away from the first scan and it aligned. The funny thing started from the third point as even being only 2 meters away from the second scan it told me it could not align at all. That's where my test ended. I tried it a few times at the same place and I always had the same problem.

As for Cortex, the last time I used it all my experience was destroyed by the way Matterport deals with 360. Before they were appearing exactly where you shoot them, now they are just placed in 360 library and you need to manually place them exactly where they were shot before you convert them to 3D. Guess you will never be able to find that spot exactly. Also sometimes even with a correct placement before conversion Cortex somehow decides that you have placed it wrong, it moves it into existing aligned model and destroys it after conversion.

May be they have changed something in their last updates but I cannot find any use in this conversion at all. The last time I tested 360 to 3D was about 2 months ago.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have attempted to scan my backyard today with just a Pro2 camera. I could not finish as my iPad went to 6% and the sun was setting down(it was still visible to the camera) so I ended it with almost everything scanned apart from my pool area. The sky was covered with clouds though but at my last two points close to the end there was a clearing and the sun was shining directly to my camera.

I have about 850 sqm block with my house footprint being only 100 sqm.

I think I have one idea how to scan with Matterport camera outdoor. However I will need to try it with the Sun sitting high in the sky. If it works in full sunlight I will explain the workflow.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Tried it now in full sunlight and I could not scan at all.

It seems it can work somehow with clouds covering the Sun but once it is out and shining it won't work. With clouds though just keep looking at a minimap in Capture and make sure your next scan data is going to overlap data from any of the previous scans. If there is no Sun you should have about 2-3m of data placed around each scan(can be more if it is really cloudy) so you next scan should not be away than 3m away. If you somehow get 5 meters of data around a scan then the next one can be even 7-7.5m away.

That's the way I went almost around my house with scanning outdoor.

There may be an option to block Sunlight from entering a camera with a filter. However it needs to be a specific wavelength filter that can block destructive to the camera wavelength of the Sun and let pass through the one that is used by a laser inside a camera sensor.

I am not going to speculate further as I do not know what wavelength the laser is using and how it works in general but those with this knowledge can try it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101637 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?