Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
APIFloor PlansMatterport SmartPhone CaptureNewsSDKTranscript

Transcript: Matterport CEO RJ Pittman Announces SmartPhone Capture App10199

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport 3D Tour of Residence 950: a $40,500,000 listing in San Francisco by Joel Goodrich with Coldwell Banker and Josh Altman with Douglas Elliman.

Video: Matterport by-invitation-only event. Speaking is Matterport CEO RJ Pittman | Video courtesy of photograchar YouTube Channel | Thursday, 26 September 2019

---

Hi All,

Below is the transcript of Matterport CEO RJ Pittman demoing and announcing the following at a by-invitation-only event Thursday night (26 September 2019):

Matterport Demoed 3D Capture for iOS and Android Smartphones: in Beta 4Q19
Matterport to Offer Automatic Interactive Measurements of Tours/Floor Plans
Matterport Developer Program; updated SDKs and APIs Announced 26 Sept. 2019

The full-text of the Matterport Press Release immediately follows the transcript.

The news was first announced in the WGAN Forum by Matterport Representative Jonathan Buckley (@Jwbuckl):

Matterport demonstrated several exciting new features at an event tonight

Dan

---

Transcript: Matterport CEO RJ Pittman (Thursday, 26 September 2019)

What is Matterport? Matterport is a company that is transforming the physical world. We're at the inflection point as we stand here now. The digitization of the built world is happening. What does that mean? What does it mean when buildings become data? We've been living in a digital age now for, I don't know, 20 years. And we've seen all sorts of transformations, whether it's retail being transformed by the digital age into E-commerce, or it's financial services being transformed into fin-tech.

Well, now we're starting to see technology and data make a profound impact on the world around us most specifically in properties, buildings and real estate. And it's a great big world out there when we think about the potential impact of technology and data on this industry. There's 4 billion buildings, and inside those buildings are lots of tenants, lots of apartments, lots of condos, lots of office spaces.

Over 20 billion, to be exact, and growing. It is an enormous frontier that is being disrupted in some of the best ways with technology. Yet, it's one of these industries that I would describe as still being largely offline. And for no other reason than just the massive scope that this market covers.

What does that mean? Well, we saw what these transformations did in all of these other industries like E-commerce and financial services. These were multi-billion dollar transformations, maybe even tens of billions. And in real estate, it's even more. Just to put it into perspective, the sum total of all real estate in the world, office, real estate for residential, you name it, take a guess, 230 trillion dollar asset class. It's the largest asset class in the world, eight times the sum total of all publicly enlisted companies in the world, just to put it into perspective. It's a really, really big deal.

And so, Matterport has a modest and humble mission in all of this. We are focused on digitizing and indexing all buildings in the built world. If it's a building, if it exists, if it's part of the 4 billion, we want it. And so how do we do this? Well over here are all my friends [Matterport Pro2, Insta360 One X, Ricoh Theta V, Ricoh Theta Z1, Leica BLK360].

These are capture devices and technology that have paved the way for building digitization eight years ago through the many Matterport employees here, including the founders and inventors of this incredible technology. This is the [Matterport] Pro 2 camera right here. It kind of looks a little bit like Darth Vader, my buddy.

But this is one of the most sophisticated capture devices in existence. And it was invented years ago and there's still nothing like it in its class. Because effectively, it can capture data that allows us to transform any photograph into accurate, three dimensional spaces.

We're off and running. There's a lot more due. Matterport now has over 2 billion, excuse me, I wish it was 2 billion, getting close; 2 million spaces, and now I think there's really 80 countries and growing. We're adding over 75,000 new buildings and spaces every month. And that number is growing double digits month over month.

We're just off and running with some exciting technology. And I'm going to tell you why it's moving so fast. It's not just about this camera technology over here. It's about another transformation that's taking place right at Matterport, itself.

But before we do, just a little bit about walk around, what's Matterportable? Like I said, if it exists in the physical world, we've probably Matterported one or two of them. So, going around the pictures here, we love doing construction sites and creating full, 3D replications of every stage of the development-and-build process. We love doing private jets. We love doing yachts.

We love doing the 21 Club, a famous restaurant, mysterious restaurant in New York City. We love doing infrastructure. Yes, boiler rooms and the technology that powers awesome buildings like this one, which is LEED Platinum. And of course, beautiful homes and properties like 951 Bar. And even one of the most interesting and architecturally significant planetariums in Hamburg, Germany.

These are some of the companies that have been using Matterport for years, and it's an interesting mix. Some of our partners here, represented on the left, great partners, great champions of the technology, many of them for years. And then, just a select group of folks from commercial real estate, Nike, LinkedIn, Redfin, and standardized by Matterport as the way to create a visual representation of every single property on Redfin. It's fantastic. This is six or nine of our customers, we have 32,000 in 50 countries around the world.

And, let's talk about what Matterport can do. Now, before anybody here makes a buying decision on Residence 950, the first thing you need to do is check out their neighbors. This is a Matterport space to the north. This is the San Francisco Art Institute, that beautiful tower right off the infinity pool. We Matterported it.

This is the view out of the tower. And if you look a little further to the north, there's another neighbor, way out there in the water. That's Alcatraz. And it might be interesting to know that we've also Matterported at Alcatraz. And we happily get around to one of those kiosks on the south side of the terrace. After the talk, you could actually go through an amazing tour of Alcatraz unlike any tour you've ever seen before, complete with a park exhibition inside the hospital facility of the island. It's super cool.

All right, but what did we really come here for? We came here to talk about the digital twin of Residence 950. This is one of the most ambitious projects that Matterport has taken up. It is a multi-level property We're standing in, two stories underground. I'm taking you up to the garage, and bedroom, and lounge level.

Now we're up at the terrace, and the kitchen, and the living area. And then the extraordinary master suite here to the right, let's go take a look at this, all in true 3D. Extraordinary views, all captured with Matterport in a matter of a couple of hours, looking out over this great deck. Let's go down onto the terrace. With Matterport, you could look at any view in true 3D at any time of day.

So you want to see that great night view? Maybe out by the pool? Or how about the terrace underneath the pool? Drop in, unbelievable. This gives you a perspective on the property maybe even better than being in the property yourself. I don't know, you'll judge for yourself. You get to walk around and compare the two.

Now, let's see if we can wander back from this terrace, right towards right where we are here in the gallery. So here I am moving through the space. This is not a video, this is a full 3D rendering, rolling in realtime of the model that we recreated with this camera set right over here. And you can see us coming right up to the end and we're right here at the balcony. Make a turn, we're going to break in, and a turn to the right and there we are, all right? I think it looks like a twin?

Now, this is such an extraordinary space that we're all standing in and Greg's going to tell us a little bit about it. But we had a lot of energy and excavation and we had construction and material that goes into creating such a dramatic gallery, that literally, I think I'm told that it's to the scale of a half-court basketball. So we could actually have a real game here after this event.

Or, if you notice, all of the computer-controlled disco lights, I think we might be clubbing. But what was one of the things viewers would want to know? Everybody walks into this space as we were observing it, "How high are these ceilings?", "How big are these walls and what kind of art work could I hang? Or how big a projection could we put up here for an event?"

Well, one of the things that we're announcing as part of Matterport's next-generation capability is not just an amazing 3D walkthrough of the space, but everything that Matterport sees when it builds a house is dimensionally accurate down to the centimeter, it's extraordinary.

But we haven't made that easy for all of the customers to get their hands on. And now, the software, the artificial intelligence is going to do it for you. Push of a button, watch what happens. This is our software, it's not doctored up. This is not a movie. This is Matterport dynamically creating measurements of all of the most important walls, ceiling heights, lengths, widths, and so much more.

Here we are down in that subterranean two stories. We pan back up, let's flip this extraordinary property on its side. Drop in, and now we can come right across from the art gallery, upstairs, down the hallway, through the bedrooms, all measured with that accuracy across the board.

Now, even cooler, you drop in and now I'm in the living room. What's happening here? Let's say you are just a customer who wants to come in and use the Matterport space to explore this home. Maybe you're interested in buying it. Well, just by dragging your finger across your smart pad or your smartphone while you're inside and exploring Residence 950 yourself, you could say, "How big is that couch? How long is that sliding, glass door opening?" Just drag and drop. "How tall is that lamp that's right next to the couch?" Easy to do with the swipe of a finger.

And the precision is better than any contractor with a laser measuring device could tell you if they were physically in this space themselves. How is that possible? How does it get all of that information? Well, I'm going to show you something in the next clip that peels back the layer.

We're going to go down into the Matterport data level. What you saw here was our stunning photorealism. This is what Matterport sees. As we were making our way back on that last tour, coming down to the gallery space, this is the point top. This is the spatial data in 3D. It's an extraordinary amount of data and information.

And so, you could imagine the least we could do is get the dimensions right. Look at how much information is there. And we can do so much more. The software will tell you how many pieces of art are on the wall. It can tell you how many projectors are in the room. It can count people.

It can count how many stools. As we Matterported this space, our computer-vision technology can take inventory of how many refrigerators, kitchens, how many windows, what direction they're taking, what size are the windows? Adding all this information up creates a digital system of record that would be really hard to do as a human being, and keep it all straight, much less have it all precise.

So, this becomes a new form of appraisal. This becomes a new form of manifest for your insurance company that has more detail about, not just the structure of the building itself, but an inventory of everything and all of the contents inside. All right, the next part of this, what are we looking at here?

The data set that you just saw was really that. And the second thing that we're announcing is we're unlocking Matterport and letting it out of the cage. We took that same data, captured with the same camera, and just passed it into Autodesk. And so what you're looking at here is an Autodesk CAD viewer and this could be AutoCAD itself. It could be Revit, and we've exploded the pieces of the model right from Matterport. So this was just a matter of a few clicks out from our beautiful photography. And now, any architecture or engineer can take hold of this.

All right, look again. You could have cross-sections and cut-throughs and see any aspect of the infrastructure that constitutes the building, all from a Matterport scan that can be done ...

Most houses, not this house, this is an extraordinary house, it's beautiful, it's very big, but most houses in an hour or less. This one, we put some blood, sweat and tears into getting this done, thank you, Greg. All right, this is really exciting because when you open up this data the kinds of possibilities are unlimited. It's not just about moving data into AutoCAD.

But some of our most popular and favorite features of Matterport today are, scan a house, scan this room. It has no furniture in it. We can pass this to a number of our friendly, third-party developers who can put virtual staging and virtual furniture in place that is so realistic, you can't tell that it's not real. The cool part is, you let the customer decide what kind of furniture they want to see. So when you show that virtual open house, you like contemporary? Boom. The house is staged in contemporary. You like traditional, boom. You like antiques, you want to change the art on the wall, it is now all configurable just as pointing and clicking, super powerful stuff.

And, historically we built this business in a very proprietary way, around a very highly, vertically-integrated solution from camera to Matterport. And now, we're opening up the final form to a huge ecosystem of experiences and partners who are just getting started.

Okay, so, what's next? Now, there's one part about this house that really is not available to you during the tour. And it's unfortunate, but to have all of this great catered food, we had to hijack the garage. And that's where they're set up preparing, and doing all of this awesome stuff. However, the garage is very important in any purchase decision, and trust me, this is a garage that would weigh heavily in a very favorable way in such a purchase consideration because it's extraordinary. But these types of limitations have never stopped Matterport before.

So, if I can direct your attention this direction, we will knock this wall down. Ladies and gentleman, we will bring you into the garage, at scale, with a motorized turnstile so those three or four-point nerve wracking turnarounds with your expensive Rolls are a thing of the pass. And it's an unbelievable driveway. Just the entrance to this thing is quite out of our ...

Now, before I go further, what's missing from this, all right? It's one thing to have ... Yes, somebody said it. Okay, it looks like a pretty good sized garage.

It could fit a couple of cars, maybe more. The turnstile makes it real easy. Well, you heard me talking about the importance of opening this platform up. And we've done that with partners who have created phenomenal 3D objects of everything. And what have they made 3D objects of? Cars, to scale, dimensionally accurate.

Let's go for a fly-through of this garage at Residence 950, dropping in, a Tesla, Ferrari, I'm not sure, it looks like a Lambo. And this is all plug-in play. So if you happen to have Range Rovers, if you happen to have Tesla Model 3, model F's, or any combination, drop them in to be sure not only if they fit, but if there's a comfortable amount of space between them, no stress, all right?

All done without ever having to drive a car into the garage and get any kind of road-tire dirt in Greg's awesome driveway. That's what we want. That's what the future of a built world looks like when buildings become data.

The third announcement that I think is the one that still blows me away, and I work for this company, all of that experience that you just saw, not going to pull through Greg's pretty wall here into the garage, the model of that garage and the Tesla, the Ferrari and the Lambo, were all captured not with a Pro 2, not with a Leica, not with these 360 cameras. Wait for it. They're captured with this, a smartphone that any of you have in your hand.

This is not a trick smartphone. It's not one that we specially made. It's a big part of the announcement. This is really hard to do. It's so hard to do that in fact, we thought it was a couple years away.

But it's a real testament to how good the [Matterport] Cortex, the AI software under the hood is getting, and also how good our engineers are. Because this is such a small camera with a narrow field of view. And so many people have tried to do this before with just not exacting results.

And if it's not good enough for the built world, we're not going to shift it. But it was so good that we brought it in here and we were able to create something, literally by standing around and capturing it. It's so easy to use. I'd like to show it to you. It's just like taking a photo, for beta, call me next quarter. It's just like taking a photo, connect the dots.

This was my Head of Design, Dave Lippman, scanning this very counter. This is a tough one for a small, little phone camera to get such a voluminous space and get it right. Look what he's doing.

He's just going around grabbing the walls, Matterport is stitching it together. And it gets you what's called a photosphere. You put three or four photospheres together, which is exactly what Dave did, and this is Matterport's smartphone capture in a two-story, voluminous, half-court basketball space, shot in a matter of minutes.

It's okay, you can ... you can ... I know the silence, but you were standing there going, "I can't believe it either."

Jaw dropping.

It's a moment of gasps, it's okay.

But ladies and gentleman, these were the three big things that we wanted to share with you. We were so delighted and actually so fired up at the ambitious challenge of creating a digital twin for Residence 950.

That it just couldn't have been a more perfect venue to bring all of these great folks together and help us support building the next generation's company, and maybe moving the real estate industry as a built world just a little bit further forward tonight. So, thank you very much.

# # # #

Matterport Press Release[/b]

Matterport Announces AI Capabilities that Will Turn Smartphones into 3D Capture Devices

Company's cloud-based image processing software will create 3D experiences derived from standard smartphone cameras

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Source: Matterport via PRNewswire
Sep 26, 2019, 20:30 ET

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Sept. 26, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Matterport, the leading spatial data company focused on digitizing and indexing the built world, announced today its latest breakthrough, Matterport 3D Capture for Smartphones, which will turn consumer smartphones into 3D capture devices. This capability, which was demonstrated for the first time today at an invite-only event at San Francisco's most exclusive property – Residence 950 [Matterport 3D Tour of $40,500,000 House for Sale] – will support iPhone and Android devices. The first iPhone version is expected to be available in beta by the end of the year.

Matterport's visionary CEO RJ Pittman explained at the gathering of technology and business leaders that this new innovation is made possible by advancements in Cortex, Matterport's AI-powered image-processing technology. Cortex features three-dimensional intelligence that can understand objects, rooms and the detailed characteristics of any physical space. The technology is trained on Matterport's industry-leading dataset that is comprised of billions of 3D data points and can construct stunning 3D digital twins from two-dimensional images.

"Matterport aims to achieve full camera and capture ubiquity that will allow us to digitize the entire built world," Pittman stated. "Creating a 3D solution compatible with smartphones is a huge step towards reaching that goal, allowing the broader community of billions of iPhone and Android users to access the capabilities of our technology."

Pittman was joined at Thursday's event by real estate moguls and stars of Bravo TV's Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles, Josh and Matthew Altman.

"Matterport's 3D technology is a game-changer for our business, especially for marketing elite homes like 950 Lombard Street – an exceptional property in one of San Francisco's most desirable neighborhoods," said Josh Altman. "Matterport's cutting-edge technology makes it possible for a potential luxury homebuyer – sipping coffee halfway across the globe – to experience this gorgeous home in a realistic and immersive way. This is a great way to attract busy and out-of-town buyers!"

Pittman added: "The digital transformation of the built world will fundamentally change the way people interact with buildings and the physical world around them. Matterport's 3D capture is foundational to this transformation because our unique technology is creating the data layer on which businesses and individuals can interoperate across industries."

In addition to unveiling 3D capture for smartphones, Matterport also announced a new spatial awareness functionality that enables users to interactively measure and share the dimensions of any space – including floor plans, doorways, windows and walls – automatically. This powerful feature strengthens the impact of Matterport 3D experiences across applications and industries, from helping prospective homebuyers know whether furniture will fit in a space, to making it easier for contractors to more accurately and efficiently document dimensions during the construction or renovation process.

Matterport's new spatial data features were announced and demonstrated alongside planned updates to the company's flagship app and cloud services, which include:

✓ Android compatibility for the Matterport Capture app, enabling anyone with an Android device to scan a space when connected to a compatible camera.
✓ The announcement of a planned developer program and updated SDK, offering extended functionality and robust developer APIs.

About Matterport

Matterport is the leading spatial data company digitizing and indexing the built world. The company enables anyone to create and share digital twins of the built world, which can be easily used to design, build, operate, improve and understand any space. These navigable virtual tours are presented in Matterport's photo-realistic digital media format. Experience real-world spaces through Matterport's interactive 3D digital twins as if you are actually there.

Source: Matterport via PRNewswire
Sep 26, 2019, 20:30 ET

# # # # #
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
It's nice to see the term "Matterport" was used as to the last speech not mentioning the company at all

"Buildings become data" - Having the word "data" up there in the word count (12 times) still has be a little weird to grapple with.

"The software will tell you how many pieces of art are on the wall. It can tell you how many projectors are in the room. It can count people." - This could be a great sales piece for breaking out of real estate alone and helpful for inventory systems. Matterport keeping that data is a little creepy when our relationship with a past client is now over.

"This is Matterport dynamically creating measurements of all of the most important walls, ceiling heights, lengths, widths, and so much more." - This piece could help in offering more details with floor plans as an up-sell.

"But some of our most popular and favorite features of Matterport today are, scan a house, scan this room. It has no furniture in it. We can pass this to a number of our friendly, third-party developers who can put virtual staging and virtual furniture in place that is so realistic, you can't tell that it's not real. The cool part is, you let the customer decide what kind of furniture they want to see." - Tells me Rooomy is still a possibility out there where Matterport wants to keep our data. Are we going to get any reparations for use of our old tour? I doubt it.

There's some interesting up-sells to use here. My trust however has not been restored in a spatial data company with heavy price hikes with "friendly, third-party developers".
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

Matterport Capture iOS App 4.0: Scan with your iPhone or iPad (4 May 2020)
✓ All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Matterport SmartPhone Capture

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
101428 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?